Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Speedo aids/ gps/ blue tooth

Just wondering how many of us and or what we all use for speedo and gps aids for accuracy or just to make it easier to see the speedo..........or for some other reason.... or not.
we all drive different aged cars with varying degrees of speedo accuracy, and some speedos and gps are easier to see than others.
even using cruise control, if your stopping and starting it can be a pain in the wotsit, even if you have a new car you may not like the in screen gps or speedo, interested to hear what others use.

i myself take my phone with me and use 2 out of the three gps apps on it as a rule, depending on whether i need navigation or not in my old cars.
for general speedo use with nice big numerals i use ulysses speedo,

or for navigation with speed shown, i use waze or google navi,
i used to have dedicated gps, the last being tom tom.
the reason i left the dedicated gps was the phone gps is so much more fluid for me ,
probably doesn't quite show as much info or speed zones , but i find what it does have to be more user friendly and configurable, not only that, in driver mode if i get a message, my smart phone will read it out to me without me having to touch it, among other smart phone functions, not only that i can easily adjust the brightness of the screen and set it at a nice angle .

i take it with me so i don't worry about it getting nicked out of the car.....only bumped on the head while out and about .

the speedo app has....... 0 to 60, 0 to 100 ,1/4 mile(not selected at this time).... which i must admit i have never used, elevation which i like, trip,av speed etc, also has configuration to head up display, but i have not really bothered with that one, the ring around the speedo is configurable to change color at certain speeds(very nifty indeed), sitting on the phone holder is fine for me.

Waze has traffic notification among other things, selectable voice among other things,( i have elvis ).
i find it pretty nice not to have to look down at the speedo, waze has many functions, including the GPS speedo as well, although a fair bit smaller.
Also interested to hear from blokes that have cars with inbuilt head up display now it has been out for a while and how they like it..

Last edited by mik; 15-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Speedo aids/ gps/ blue tooth

I used to have a Bugeye Sprite and got some huge 14x5 wheels made up.

Used a push bike speedo and it worked an absolute treat!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought i may have gotten a bit more of a response , i guess i must the only silly bugger driving using alternative gps/speedo methods to the factory stuff,
Old 19-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am going to bring this up again. I have recently purchased a scooter and I reckon the speedo is out a considerable amount. Dealer says he will GPS it but I would prefer to check myself first. Anyone used a GPS app for iphone to check their own speedo and which one please?

Last edited by deesun; 19-03-2015 at 12:14 PM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i use my tom tom gps. at 118 on the speedo the tom tom says I'm doing 115
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used ulyses to work or how much my veloster was out by. The speedo ended up being +10%. Funny thing is it has a built in economy game in the media system that takes the speed from the odb port and is actually correct. I think it has been more dangerous to have a speedo so far over you constantly have to work it out. If they have an accurate speed out, why not use it. I check my speedo more now as it takes that nano second longer every time you glance at it. In this day and age of speed cameras you need to know exactly what speed you are doing, shame you can't rely on the car for that. Although my fgx g6e turbo arrives on a truck in a few hours (had to rub it in) so my days off a dodgy speedo are over.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
i use my tom tom gps. at 118 on the speedo the tom tom says I'm doing 115
No Tom Tom nor other type of GPS but thanks.

I have found and now tried one ( SpeedView) and found another ( Simply Speed ) to try also later when I can get on longer quieter streets.

So far I have
44.3GPS @ 50 speedo on SpeedView.
53 @ 60 speedo
63 @ 70
But again, I will try later.
Old 19-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
Binny

I use google maps daily now on my commute. It has helped me around major traffic snarls on many occasions. It now even highlights alternative routes in grey as you go along and has a little sign on them saying how many minutes slower or faster they are. It even pops up before I leave work to tell me if there is an issue with the route I normally take. ( a bit scary really!)

I have a dedicated cradle for my HTC one that puts it into car mode when I drop the phone in and starts playing music automatically, reads out SMS etc. It works pretty well mostly though I'm buggered if I can get it to send a reply SMS. It works out what I said no worries but then I can't get it to send!
Old 19-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
zilo
BANNED

Best i have ever seen was the blue windscreen heads up display on the Corvette.

Always visible and never had to take your eyes off the road.

I see you can get them on eBay now.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
TonyBill

Reviving this topic again...

I'm hot rodding an old vehicle and want to know if i can use a GPS as the only method of measuring vehicle speed. It will be an iphone and be semi permanently mounted in the dash.

ADR 18/00 section 18.5.1.1.2. says the speedo must "indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of ± 10 percent"
If you go through a tunnel or something the gps speedo will read zero. But the vehicle is made before 1988 so the particular ADR doesnt apply?

The vehicle was manufactured 1951, is there a regulation saying it must be fitted with a speedo at all??

The reason Im pushing so hard for GPS is that no single part of the driveline was ever originally intended to work together so its easier just to keep the original speedo installed for aesthetics and use the GPS

Thanks in advance
TonyBill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
Lukeb

Hey TonyBill,

Not sure if you'll be able to, I was talking to some coppers a while back and we were talking about the old argument when people get pulled over for speeding "my gps says I'm under the limit" and they were telling me it doesn't work that way as gps thinks the world is flat and doesn't pick up on undulations, they also work on a - b average. So not sure if it will be accurate enough??

(Though I would like to test these theories some how!)
Old 17-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
TonyBill

Thanks luke
Yeh youll never win saying 'my gps says i was under'. The question was more so if my car even legally needs one. The only info i can find is for cars post 1988 but surely a standard exists for vehicles before that. Just dont think it was called ADRs!
and as for accuracy i used an app on my android and compared it to the speedo in my commo last night and it was wicked eh. Right on the money

My original quwstion still stands tho... Are all cars of any era required to have a speedometer?
Old 17-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably get away with the gps 99 percent of the time, dont know the legalities of it though,
i cant think of any easy answer for when the gps loses signal other than having a speedo to revert back to corrected or otherwise, unless you have a tacho and can make a mental note of speed in gears .
Old 17-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
TonyBill

Hr holden diff with hz trimatic and vintage speedo. And whatever tyre size will comfortably fit hah

Might send the cops or dpi an email
Old 17-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #15
WHYME
Next up?

It's all stock officer.

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #16
b2428

Don't know how accurate gps units are but I know for a fact that at 110 the mondeo is 5kms out. Funny thing is both our dash cams confirm what the gps units say. We use a navman on trips so we usually run off what that says. Any arguments I would be more then happy to hand over the dash cam footage which would back my case.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #17
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBill View Post
Thanks luke
Yeh youll never win saying 'my gps says i was under'. The question was more so if my car even legally needs one. The only info i can find is for cars post 1988 but surely a standard exists for vehicles before that. Just dont think it was called ADRs!
and as for accuracy i used an app on my android and compared it to the speedo in my commo last night and it was wicked eh. Right on the money

My original quwstion still stands tho... Are all cars of any era required to have a speedometer?
I would say you are OK with it as most GOOD gps units these days allow for signal loss by tall buildings, tunnels etc. I think times are changing because now in a boat you use GPS over the old compass so why not for cars?

Another thought - what about the odometer? You would still need to have one of these fitted.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2015, 11:47 PM   #18
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeb View Post
Hey TonyBill,

Not sure if you'll be able to, I was talking to some coppers a while back and we were talking about the old argument when people get pulled over for speeding "my gps says I'm under the limit" and they were telling me it doesn't work that way as gps thinks the world is flat and doesn't pick up on undulations, they also work on a - b average. So not sure if it will be accurate enough??

(Though I would like to test these theories some how!)

Not so I'd say at least with a good unit. The Racelogic GPS based Performance Boxes that measure car performance can also display altitude and I suspect a lot of other GPS units can measure it too.

Of course it's never easy to beat a speeding ticket.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post