Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Cams for the AU i6

OK, I searched and didnt come up with anything. :
So, question, what cam are you running in your AU?
What specs should I be looking for in a cam?
I dont really care if it farts and stalls in traffic and at the lights, as 99% of my driving is either on the highway, or at 2 in the morning when there is no traffic.
I am after a good midrange and some good power up top.
Not too worried about down low, as once the cam is in, Im getting a stall matched up to it.
Also, what else, other than the cam will I need to run it?
I will be using the CAPA flash to tune it, but I mean other things like vernier gears and valve springs.
Thanks for the help guys.

Old 18-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
So, question, what cam are you running in your AU?
A mystery spec cam... it just came with the car

And yet another useless post from me :
Old 18-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Wow, thanks for the help....
Old 18-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the help....
No problems... its only for a laugh...

Seriously though, I have no idea what mine has... yet i to need to know.
Old 18-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

talk to stav. his cam is nuts!
Old 18-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Josh, get onto OED666. You know you want to.
Old 18-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
talk to stav. his cam is nuts!
I have a big cam.Not sure on specs but I can say that despite the fact that I have headwork 4:11 histall that it only pulled .2 second quicker over my standard engine dev 4 cammed setup. Dev 4 pulled 92.71 mph 14.773. The big cam pulled a 14.527 at 95.68mph.0.246 second difference.You have to ask yourself a serious question...is .246 second quicker for the extra effort worth it? I am trying to give you options. The big cam will need better valve springs,port work,maybe new guides..crack/pressure test .For the extra money and effort you may want a cam just like the dev4.
Even though my mate Brendan Mock says the dev 4 will run on standard ecu I can say that an edit will make the car work heaps better.

The massive cam will not allow the car to idle .It will need edit tune. If you are lucky your low down will be good .You will chew more fuel but the car will have a bit more power.
Hope this helps a little.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had the same cam Stav has for nearly 2 years now. Very happy with the results.

You will DEFINITELY need a tune asap. I still have the standard valve springs fitted. Doesnt appear to be any sign of valve bounce. I have tried mucking around with the cam timing, and it hasnt really achieved anything. Most recent dyno was 226RWHP. Definitely lost bottom end, but hammers to 6000rpm no worries. I think the limiter spoils my fun.
Old 18-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Monty has the generic edit in it at the moment
Old 18-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from what i heard today crow still don't have any billets ,so i'd say it'l be a while before you'l be able to buy a billet cam.
jmm cams are real good ,but there regrinds and involve a bit of mucking around to get running right ,plus they recomend you use HD valve springs.
the gnd cam i'm currently running is a relatively low lift cam,with quite a bit of duration.it runs fine with the standard valve springs.its putting out roughly 200rwhp and runs almost identical quaters to the jmm dev 4.

if your keen on trying a cam ,i'd recomend just trying hp xr6 cam or even a vct cam with your edit.i reckon the vct cam would give you an easy 15kw over a stock au cam and they retail for about $220 from ford
Old 19-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Try talking to Jonbays, he gave me some good advice, put me on to Sure cams

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

Like I said guys, I want something substatial, as plans are for running deep into the 14's. Id rather do it right the first time. I like the sound of the cam OED and Stav are using, but if I need headwork, its not for me at the moment. Has anyone tried the DEV 5 cam?
Old 19-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from the cam, my motor is a bog stocka...
Old 19-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
I have had the same cam Stav has for nearly 2 years now. Very happy with the results.

You will DEFINITELY need a tune asap. I still have the standard valve springs fitted. Doesnt appear to be any sign of valve bounce. I have tried mucking around with the cam timing, and it hasnt really achieved anything. Most recent dyno was 226RWHP. Definitely lost bottom end, but hammers to 6000rpm no worries. I think the limiter spoils my fun.
The truth is the cam is terrific.My bottom end power is pretty good though . I think the jim mock race series headers have kept the torque.In saying that I do believe they may be cutting top end power a little .I

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 19-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was under the impression an AU XR6 HP cam is actually more agressive than the VCT equivalent, is this correct? That would be a good start with out having to worry about the motor at all. Then again, as OED mentioned, his motor is still standard. My guess is that the standard vavle springs would be pretty strong to withstand a big cam.
I am actually putting in a HP cam into my standard motor soonish. It will be intersting to see what the gains are, if any at all.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

AU xr6hp cam is similar to the vct cam. In saying that the vct put out around 6 more rwkws than a hp and 15 more rwkws than a standard sohc car.

normal sohc 157 kws 4900rpm
hp engine 164 kws 5000 rpm
vct fairmont ghia 168 kws 5000rpm
vct xr6 172 kws 5000rpm

The xr6 hp heads and standard au heads are the same and flow the same.

An xr6 hp cam in a manual not tuned should see you into the high 14 second bracket. bought a cam an xr6 hp cam from ford for 180 dollars and it was a billet.

An xr6 vct has got a big headstart over all of the cars. A 15 rwkw is alot to catch up to.

Old 19-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Im after something a little bigger than the XR cam, (HP, or VCT), as I dont want it to be inadequate in two months and have to go buy a new one.
So continue with the discussion, my mind isnt totally made up yet....
Old 19-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #18
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DEV 5 or OED for the win!!
in 10 months you will need a BIGGER one to match the head work you will get hehe
Old 19-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #19
The Monty
Just slidin'

There is a DEV 5 on ebay atm. Anyone used one, and howd it go?
Old 19-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #20
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is a DEV 5 on ebay atm. Anyone used one, and howd it go?
i think you realy need headwork to get them to perform to there best.loxxr6 ran one in his au xr6 ,it didn't realy gain much over the stanrd hp cam.i don't know how it performed at the track though.might be worth shooting him a pm.
jmm do a streetfighter cam (same as dev4 i think)thats more suited to a standard head .i personaly have ran this cam in my car and it made 159 rwk with standard head ,lukey headers jmm cai and unichip .
jmm cams require mucking around with shims,wich is a pain in the but.fitting a reground cam to an au isn't as easy as a E serise's.its an art that would require a whole post to explain.then after you get the cam in there you will need a vernier cam gear to dial the cam in .it can be done easy enough but you realy need to know what your doing.

the sure cam grind that stav and oed are running is probably the best performing cam in an au at the moment.

come to think of it a forum member by the name of siksix is running a dev5 cam with headwork and no chip and its screaming ,14.4 @ 99mph and its a manual
Old 19-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

Well I think Ill give Surecam a call.
Will I need anything bar the cam and valve springs? Im guessing shims as well?
Old 19-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #22
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you only need shims for regrinds.the surecam is a billet so you won't need them.
i'd recomend getting some after market springs though,i'd ask stav where he got his.
i'm pretty certain you'l be up for a bit of a wait though for your cam .surecam gets his billets from crow and they don't have none at the moment ,atleast thats what i've heard on the grape vine.

on a side note dose anyone know the specs on the surecam grind .
Old 19-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #23
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Phil's cam's go straight in. No shims required, as they are billet cams.