Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Problem shifting into 2nd XR8 Manual

Hey guys, I'm after some advice re: my issue shifting into 2nd.

My AU2 XR8 has done 124,000kms

No dramas selecting and taking off in 1st, or shriting from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th the clutch goes in and out easily, gear lever feels 'tight/firm' clicks into gear easily.

Its sometimes difficult to select Reverse (if I back off the clutch slighty the shifter gets 'pulled' into place) but generally I push the clutch in and its straight into reverse gear.

No water is coming into the cabin (near/around the where the clutch cable comes in)

The point 'in the clutch' where the car begins to move under idle power is fairly high up, I dont have to floor it to be able to shift gears.

The problem is shifting into 2nd feels rough, the only way I can describe the sensation is like I'm pulling the shifter through an obstacle, rather than straight in. Initially there is the obstacle, and then like when I back off the clutch to engage reverse, the shifter gets 'pulled' into gear. If the car is cold the feeling is very pronounced, when warm its more distant.

I haven't been giving the car a pasting, I'm fairly docile with her!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Rob.

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Has it only just started to do it? With mine, it was hard to select 2nd since I had it. I bought a Billet quickshift and it cleaned the shift into second right up.

Not sure if it the same problem as yours though...

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adjust the clutch cable.
How does the cluch pedal sit now? (in regartds to height vs brake pedal)
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Peuty, I think it's done it since I got it, I might not have noticed it too much at the start because I've never had a manual car.

Philstoj, the clutch pedal sits up slightly higher than the brake pedal, what effects can adjusting the clutch cable have?
Old 27-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I would have thought that if the cable needed adjusting, then it would have been harder to select all gears, not just second and reverse (which is harder to select no matter what anyway)

Oo\===/oO
Old 27-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Sounds like I may have the same 'problem' you had peuty, if any other manual xr8 owners can confirm they had some sort of issue shifting into 2nd it might just be a quirk with the transmission.
Old 27-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Seriously though Rob, get yourself a quickshift like I did, it's one of the best things to make driving the car a fair whack easier. Combine it with a shortened lever and you will be smiling all the way down the road!

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Old 27-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Tempting...
How much did the quickshift plus lever set you back?
Old 27-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Erm.... quickshift was about 350 IIRC, but I installed it myself. I shortened the lever myself too.

Oo\===/oO