Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Quick question Removing door trim

Its Sunday morning and I've started to replace the actuator in my AU today.I have unscrewed and removed all the bits (side screws, power window pod and handle surround. It feels 'lose' from the bottom and side but is still 'firm' at the top.

How do you pull it off for the last bit?

Uncle Ken

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Its Sunday morning and I've started to replace the actuator in my AU today.I have unscrewed and removed all the bits (side screws, power window pod and handle surround. It feels 'lose' from the bottom and side but is still 'firm' at the top.

How do you pull it off for the last bit?

Uncle Ken
AND its the driver door

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im guessing its the clips up top which are cliped in,you should be able to push the door trim up,give it a push up and pull door trim towards you.
Clips are quite firm and will pop out.

That was my experience with the doors anyhow :-p
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Uncle_Ken

How many clips are at the top?
UK
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't pull too hard just enough to get it away from the door. You'll have to lower it slightly to unscrew the door lock button thingy (technical term )

EDIT: there are 3-4 clips (from memory)
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
chief
FTF Club Moderator

When you take out the power window switch there is a 10mm bolt inside the door trim.

It also helps if you remove the black plastic triangle from just above the door trim behind the mirror.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Uncle_Ken

Thanks Guys. I'm taking pics whilst I do this for a tech guide.
UK
Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Dont forget to unplug the mirror switch before pulling to hard
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

there is another 10mm bolt under that round plastic cover 2/3rds of the way towards the front too iirc

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
there is another 10mm bolt under that round plastic cover 2/3rds of the way towards the front too iirc
Ta got taht one now

UK
Old 10-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question

How's it going Ken?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
How's it going Ken?

GK
Well I've just written up a tech guide on how to remove the door trim.
(but I don't know how to share the PDF).

The sad news is the actuator seems fine so I will do the passengers door next.

UK
Old 10-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Hopefully it went well for you! My first 2 times doing it, I was fine.

Then I attempted it a few weeks ago after work while I was sick on my donor car -result: stuffed door trim and I broke the speaker grill!

To this day I still don't know how I managed to not undo the 10mm bolts that I knew about!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
Uncle_Ken

Wink AUII door trim removal

I have done a quick write up on to remove door trim on an AUII.
Let me know if I left something out or the steps are in the wrong order

http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=39943

UK :
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken

Default Ahh still wont lock

Bugger what a day. Took off all 4 door actuators and no broken spindles and they all move in out when I hit the button.

The car doors still won't lock.

What next? What have I missed?

UK
Old 11-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

That's weird .... the only other thing that I can think of is that the car thinks a door is ope and won't lock ... it doesn't need to be a broken spindle for this to happen ... all actuators tell the BEM is the door is closed. If the BEM thinks a door is open ... it will let you know by sounding the horn and unlocing the doors again.

So you still may have a stuffed actuator and not know it.

I am presuming you have the Fairmont ... does it have a ficture of all doors and tells you which one is ajar??/ Or do you just have a door ajar icon like the lower series???

If you have the latter it is going to make it harder to diagnose ... if you have the high series one though ... sit in the car with all doors properly ... and see if the ico tells you which door is open on the car ... that will be a dead giveaway to which actuator is stuffed.

Hope this helps for now.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Uncle_Ken

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
That's weird .... the only other thing that I can think of is that the car thinks a door is ope and won't lock ... it doesn't need to be a broken spindle for this to happen ... all actuators tell the BEM is the door is closed. If the BEM thinks a door is open ... it will let you know by sounding the horn and unlocing the doors again.

Thats the noise mine makes UK

So you still may have a stuffed actuator and not know it.

I am presuming you have the Fairmont ... does it have a ficture of all doors and tells you which one is ajar??/ Or do you just have a door ajar icon like the lower series???

No its a standard AUII with door ajar icon. Bugger.

If you have the latter it is going to make it harder to diagnose ... if you have the high series one though ... sit in the car with all doors properly ... and see if the ico tells you which door is open on the car ... that will be a dead giveaway to which actuator is stuffed.

Hope this helps for now.
I am going to put back the front locks on Saturday (lucky I don't need the car mid week) and see what happens then.

UK
Old 11-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Wonder if it would throw a code back to the BEM ... it may tell you which door .... although I am grabbing at straws here now.

I don't have a list of codes though ... Ford should be able to tell you ... but God knows how much they will charge you.

Although seeing as you are now well versed with pulling door trims off ... I guess you could try trial and error.

In the end though ... you may have a faulty BEM as well. Hopefully though it is a rogue actuator.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #19
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try disconnecting each actuator completely one at a time and then locking with the remote. I drove around for about 2 weeks without the drivers side actuator plugged in and the other doors would lock/unlock fine with the remote. All I had to do was use the key to open the drivers side.

If you do this, you should be able to tell which one is acting up.

Hope this helps
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
Uncle_Ken

Ok its netx saterday and all actuators now back on and doors are shut. If I take out hte keys and a door is ajar shoiuld this show up in te cluster (low series)

UK
Old 16-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
Uncle_Ken

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Try disconnecting each actuator completely one at a time and then locking with the remote. I drove around for about 2 weeks without the drivers side actuator plugged in and the other doors would lock/unlock fine with the remote. All I had to do was use the key to open the drivers side.

If you do this, you should be able to tell which one is acting up.

Hope this helps
Tried disconecting one by one and same horn ta ta ta and the doors lock/unlock
each time

UK
Old 16-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
Uncle_Ken

Going to try something now. Going to pull out the cluster and unplug plug the cables ot see if that makes any difference.UK
Old 16-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #23
Uncle_Ken

Ahh, All working now!! Finally. Having taken off, disconected and repalced everythng unpluging and re pluging the cluster did the trick.

UK

Some pics tomorrow of more plastic surgery for my AUII
Old 23-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #24
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Ahh, All working now!! Finally. Having taken off, disconected and repalced everythng unpluging and re pluging the cluster did the trick.

UK

Some pics tomorrow of more plastic surgery for my AUII
Pics are online here, windows still working one week later

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...33#post1997633
Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
sambo1974
Starter Motor

Hi All,

I m new to the forums, and I some dramas in replacing the actuator on the rear right door of our a ford au station wagon. I got the door panel off, but I just could not remove the rod(long piece that attaches to the innner door) Any ideas or where i can get a step by step pdf document? Cheers
sambo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #26
tickford90

for the door trim, there's a bolt under the power window buttons which got me, once thats out and everything is disconnected, power windows and mirrors, pull the trim from the bottom towards you (not too much) and smack with your hand upwards and it should come out of the clips from the top.
tickford90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #27
sambo1974
Starter Motor

the ford i have is the forte, so there is no power windows. Should I take out the old actuator first and the long wire(rod) will come out easier?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #28
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
the ford i have is a really, really old forte, so there are no power windows.
fixed.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #29
sambo1974
Starter Motor

All fixed. Only cost me $66 for the actuator from the wreckers.