Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Falcon924
Starter Motor

Default EF power steering fluid

Hi, I'm about to replace the steering pump on my 96 EF II Gli 4.0, and was wondering what fluid to use. The manual I have says Mobile 424 but I couldn't find it. At Supercheap they had Valvoline Type F which was recommended for EL's and AU's is that stuff OK for the EF, I thought the EF was the same setup as the EL & AU. The Valvoline book said to use Type D 225 i think but all they had was Type D is that the same? It's a transmission fluid but I remember my EA used dextron III for the steering and transmission. And so Could someone just let me know what the best fluid to use is, I'd imagine most of these would work OK being hydraulic fluids but I'd just like to be sure.

Falcon924 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
lorne
Ford i6

dextron 3 will do
lorne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

dexron 3 will do it but i use the later el/au fluid
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon924
Hi, I'm about to replace the steering pump on my 96 EF II Gli 4.0, and was wondering what fluid to use. The manual I have says Mobile 424 but I couldn't find it. At Supercheap they had Valvoline Type F which was recommended for EL's and AU's is that stuff OK for the EF, I thought the EF was the same setup as the EL & AU. The Valvoline book said to use Type D 225 i think but all they had was Type D is that the same? It's a transmission fluid but I remember my EA used dextron III for the steering and transmission. And so Could someone just let me know what the best fluid to use is, I'd imagine most of these would work OK being hydraulic fluids but I'd just like to be sure.
same fluid as the auto
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
SrsIIE8
Blue blooded rev head

They recommend Mobil 424 because it minimises squealing. Just find a local garage that sells Mobil products and they will be able to buy some in with a stock order if they dont carry it. Type D wont be the same as Type D 225 but the difference most likly wont be noticible except for maby when the fluid gets hot it might get noisey or shudder slightly but i doubt it. at the end of the day anythings better then nothing.

Dynamic White EL Srs2 XR8 5spd, factory sunroof, 2 1/2 cat back, lightened race ready flywheel

3 x Mk2 Cortina's, One with K-Mac fully adjustable's, Nolathane bushes, Celica 5spd, Bored and polished to about 1900, Twin 45mm side drapht webber's, Custom woodgrain dash, + a few more goodies
SrsIIE8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
niko
likes falcon's

put in the brown stuff...copes better with heat

you should really have it in your ef....
Old 21-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Falcon924
Starter Motor

Thanks guys. which one is 'the brown stuff'?
Falcon924 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

95le..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
niko
likes falcon's

walk into any ford and just ask for BA power steering fluid recommended for ef to current