Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Tacho problem in au xr8

I just brought an au series 2 xr8 with the 220 kw motor and I am just loving it. But every now and then and it seems to be when the car is hot say its been in the sun for an hour the tacho goes all notchy it doesn't climb smooth but it falls smooth what could be causing this problem it has me beat. When you take it out of the shed in the morning its fine but after about an hour it starts with this problem?????

Thanks

AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

FALCONSXR8 - man my AUII XR8 ute has just started doing the exact same thing, and i was looking here to post a thread : lol, my sedan hasnt got the same prob, i am hoping someone has had the same prob and can share what needs to be done

Last edited by Casper; 17-09-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Lukeyson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

just a suggestion , make sure the face in the cluster isn't curling/warping from the heat from the sun, making it hit the rear of the tacho needle. ??

There was some al-cheapo cluster faces getting around on e-bay a while back that warped..

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
SWOOP
XRSVO

cheapo or standard one will do this ,happens to mine on warmer days sticks for first few minutes then goes eventually ,not somthing that really bothers me
Just another lil fault to go with rest of em
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think thats it as its not rubbing on the face and the needle drops fine just climbs very notchy????
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 17-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

happens to mine too, pretty common, i just live with it
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine does this too, has done it from new.
When i complained to the dealer they didnt want to fix it so i just live with it, still works ok though.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well looks like I will be stuck with it, I will just consider it a performance feature for now thanks people.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 18-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Do any of you guys having this problem have non-stock cluster faces ? ... do you all have xr8's ( is this just an xr8 problem ? ) .

It could all very well just be something as simple as a heat related issue behind the dash or something / electrics do the strangest things when they get real hot ! / to an extent .

I was yakking with Yum-Yum recently , he also had this problem with his tacho sticking / notchy , but it was due to from trying to pry the needles off to do some mods, he eventually free'd his up just by reving the crap out of it a bit ..lol .
As i said though , his was from needle prying , is why i ask if anyone had done mods to the cluster face ( ripping needles off ) ?

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post