Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
DOHC-DJ

Question Central locking unlocking itself after 10min... not actuators

hey guys, got a problem with the parents car. its a 99 fairlane ghia. the problem is when you lock the car about ten minutes or so later it unlocks itself. all the doors do lock so its not an actuator problem.

im led to think that its the bem, cause it controls the central locking side of things. im pretty sure its something wrong on the master door circuit. because all the doors unlock after 10min, and not just one of the slave doors so maybe the master door is unlocking itself and then the slave doors are copying the master.

has anyone else had this problem....

DOHC-DJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Umineko
Karasu

The Fairlane and LTD have a function that automaticly locks the doors after a perion of time if the doors haven't been opened after they are unlocked, sounds like yours is doing this in reverse, The door actuators all function correctly if I read your post right so that rules out a dead actuator, I'd say your on the right track with the fault being in the BEM, a short in the wiring would cause problems immediatly not after 10mins, from memory 10 minutes is the timer setting for the boot remote switch disable function, that might be related somehow but I'd say your BEM definatly has a problem, I am sure there is a diagnostic procedure to test the unit but I don't have the manual with me right now, perhaps one of the other members has this at hand
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Stab in the dark....
Disconnect the battery for an hour (like resetting the ECU) and see if that may aleviate it. Mates Territory Ghia wouldn't accept his memory seat settings, always reverted to his mrs seat position regardless of which keypad was used. It wasn't until his mrs flattened the battery that the function came good again on his keypad.
Hords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
The Fairlane and LTD have a function that automaticly locks the doors after a perion of time if the doors haven't been opened after they are unlocked, sounds like yours is doing this in reverse, The door actuators all function correctly if I read your post right so that rules out a dead actuator, I'd say your on the right track with the fault being in the BEM, a short in the wiring would cause problems immediatly not after 10mins, from memory 10 minutes is the timer setting for the boot remote switch disable function, that might be related somehow but I'd say your BEM definatly has a problem, I am sure there is a diagnostic procedure to test the unit but I don't have the manual with me right now, perhaps one of the other members has this at hand
try dissconnecting your battery for an hour then reconnect it and see if it resets the locks if that fails try disconnecting one lock ( wires not rods) at a time and see if that fixes it one might have intermittant contacts causing your dramas
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
DOHC-DJ

thanks guys. ill disconnect the battery for an hour or so if that doesn't fix it, ill try disconnecting the actuators one by one.

and yer all the actuators are functioning correctly
Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead_88
thanks guys. ill disconnect the battery for an hour or so if that doesn't fix it, ill try disconnecting the actuators one by one.

and yer all the actuators are functioning correctly
its not the motors in the actuators that may be causing it but intermitant switch contacts
Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
DOHC-DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
its not the motors in the actuators that may be causing it but intermitant switch contacts
true... you mean the little switch in the actuator itself. i have some spare actuators lying around, that i repaired a while ago. might put one of the switch in there and see what happens. if its going to be a switch im fairly sure it will be the drivers one as all the other doors open as well. because if another door lock was faulty, only that one would unlock cause its a "slave" door
Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead_88
true... you mean the little switch in the actuator itself. i have some spare actuators lying around, that i repaired a while ago. might put one of the switch in there and see what happens. if its going to be a switch im fairly sure it will be the drivers one as all the other doors open as well. because if another door lock was faulty, only that one would unlock cause its a "slave" door
in the AU all doors have a switch to cycle the locks if a door isn't closed also both front doors are full master acctuators
Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check for water ingress into the door lock connectors and the connectors at the base of the A pillars.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
DOHC-DJ

yer i unplugged the a connectors in the a pillar and cleaned them. i also repaired a door lock actuator i had lying around and replaced the LHF assy as mum said that that door sometimes wont lock. like once every two weeks.

and it all seems to be working now. ill leave it over night and see how it goes.

thanks for your help guys