Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
XRated
Shoot.

Angry Transmission oil pan and dodgy servicing

Long and boring rant....

After having my car nearly in tip top shape, it decided to **** out all my fresh red transmission fluid. It obviously went all along my exhaust causing smoke and looking a lot worse than what it was (my mate's and g/f have lost a lot of respect for the ol' bomb now LOL).

I got it towed home from my mate's place (it conveniently got us to Phillip Island, and back to his house before we noticed). I chucked it on stands and got under the car only to find a big hole in the front right corner of the oil pan. WTF?!

I didn't know whether it was factory to have a drain plug/grommet, but it didn't look like it. So I went to Pick-a-Part to grab a pan, and it turned out that basically all the four-speeds I looked at had this grommet Although, sometimes in different positions. After losing a plug/grommet and not finding another in good nick I gave up and visited a Falcon wreckers who just looked at me like I was an idiot! "In the transmission pan?" Grrrrrrr...

I visited Ford who also looked at me like I was on drugs... And then I went to a transmission place where I received the same treatment! "There is a rubber grommet, I tell ya! I'm not an idiot!!" Anyways, turned out they had a couple of spare pans and sold one for 10 bucks - without a hole :P (One POPULAR wreckers around here wanted 40 effen dollars!!!!)

So what I've concluded is, some trans places will just whack a big hole to drain the fluid out, bung it up with some dodgy plug (that breaks or comes out over time like MINE did) and then fill it back up. It's disgusting!

Just be warned, because I know it's more common than people think.

Rant over anyway!

PS: My original 'box didn't have the rubber grommet, the one that replaced it obviously did.

20V Turbo

Last edited by XRated; 13-01-2005 at 08:08 PM.
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

shite eh!
that is pretty dodgy isnt it!

there suposed to remove the pan so they can get to the filter to replace it. chances are if they did that they didnt replace the filter
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Does your car have a filler tube to the BTR?
The drain plug idea is pointless as to service the box and remove the filter you need to take the pan off anyhow...

We have a test pan at work that i welded a nut onto the outside to remove the oil and plug up when testing the rebuilt boxes but i have never seen one left on the car

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
XRated
Shoot.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by a "filler tube."

Exactly. It is pointless, and it's possible that some places just drain it by whacking a hole in it because they are too lazy to undo the eight or so 10mm bolts. It'd save them a good ten minutes! Your average Joe Blo wouldn't know if the filter was even touched.

I would assume it's a taxi thing, but there were way too many Falcons at Pick-a-Part with these.

For your info, I even had a good look at the schematics at Ford Spares that had no evidence of these whatsoever.

20V Turbo

Last edited by XRated; 13-01-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 13-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

The filler tube was made redundant by Ford, do you add oil to the box from the engine bay or pump in it by undoing the 16mm bolt on the drivers side of the box

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
XRated
Shoot.

Ah okay, I add it from the dip stick tube...

20V Turbo

Old 13-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

The EF removed the dip stick altogether which is a royal pain in the @ss. Sorry to learn about the dramas... it's enough of a challenge maintaining a car without dodgy bastards pulling stunts like this.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 09:12 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

late EF II Jack ;)
EF I and early EF II's still have dip stick (like mine)
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

I stand corrected. The EL sure as hell ain't got one. :P
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 11:29 PM   #10
John_LS1

(One POPULAR wreckers around here wanted 40 effen dollars!!!!) LOL so which one Luke? jollys or FTG??? hmm that makes me wonder if mines got a plug in it! might check that tommorow. well at least its sorted now! all it needs now is the cam put in.....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
(One POPULAR wreckers around here wanted 40 effen dollars!!!!) LOL so which one Luke? FTG??? hmm that makes me wonder if mines got a plug in it! might check that tommorow. well at least its sorted now! all it needs now is the cam put in.....
...and all the rest!!!

20V Turbo

Old 14-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #12
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Can't beleive the dodginess of that!

The sad part is, that's not one or two cars, but from what you said a LOT of cars had it done.

Glad my transmission doesn't have pans and filters and all that crap :P
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

hey Luke, I saw the plug when we put the gearbox in, but without a new seal, and it seemed to be pretty well sealed and tight I didnt touch it and let it go, I dont have one in mine, and if any dodgy bastard puts a hole in it, I will put a hole in their head and see how the like it

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #14
danege

The reason some places do drill that hole is so that instead of undoing all the bolts to remove the fluid and risk it going everywhere, they drain it first before removing the pan....its a bit cleaner, but i'd never do it on the account of the bung coming unstuck.

Some places actually drill the hole, then install a proper drain plug, which i think isnt a bad idea.

Some other places are dodgy :jerk:
Old 14-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #15
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Shit, I didn't know my work did auto services on Falcons!

It's not that hard to keep it clean, just loosen the front bolts, take the rest out, then take the front ones out when the pan stops dripping.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 02:22 AM   #16
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danege
The reason some places do drill that hole is so that instead of undoing all the bolts to remove the fluid and risk it going everywhere, they drain it first before removing the pan....its a bit cleaner, but i'd never do it on the account of the bung coming unstuck.

Some places actually drill the hole, then install a proper drain plug, which i think isnt a bad idea.

Some other places are dodgy :jerk:
Drill or no drill, it's still dodgy. The rubber bung in mine was literally broken in half (half was in the pan, the other half who knows where!). If it was a properly designed bolt like in the engine sump, it might be a different story.

20V Turbo

Old 16-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #17
EL_futuraistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
The EF removed the dip stick altogether which is a royal pain in the @ss. Sorry to learn about the dramas... it's enough of a challenge maintaining a car without dodgy bastards pulling stunts like this.
Yes, Ford removed the dipstick after the EF and they cut their warranty claims by upto 90%. It stopped people, checking their dipstick at the servo... and seeing no oil on it (cause has to be done while running), then filling it up with dex3 (which is all sevos sell), thereby destroying the trans.

As far as im aware, there wasnt a factory drain plug on falcon boxes. Sorry hear that, sounds very dodgey, at least u didnt run out of oil on the fwy.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #18
danege

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Drill or no drill, it's still dodgy. The rubber bung in mine was literally broken in half (half was in the pan, the other half who knows where!). If it was a properly designed bolt like in the engine sump, it might be a different story.
I agree with you mate...thats just how some places do business though.

Sad isnt it.