Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is this a good price? T5 conversion

Howdy all,

I have decided manual is the way to go for me. Im never going to have the ability to go to the track often and have full use of a high stall. Im also going to have very little use when driving to work (80/100km zone) causing undue slipping daily.

So i decided manual is the better option for me.

I emailed Malwood and they put together then quote-

Quote:
Matthew,
I have been trying to source a manual computer and I may have one so I will now quote on the T5 upgrade, the parts in our kit are listed here.....

* New flywheel and bolts
* New HP clutch kit and bolts
* New pedal kit and New clutch cable
* Bellhousing and fork
* Reconditioned XR6 5 speed
* New gearstick
* New gear knob
* New floor boot and retainer
* New console insert

Total price of the kit will be $3850 plus $550 fitting plus the cost of the manual computer which should only be $330.
If you want the car to go a lot quicker off the mark then you should consider fitting a diff ratio of 3.73, with the overdrive 5th the revs on the open road will still be fine, all parts are available ex stock at present.
Regards, Mal Wood
Is that price reasonable for a drive in drive out transaction? I will keep the old gearbox for a rainy day too.

$4235

I will also go 3.7's as advised but this will more then likely be done before the t5.

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man u could do a complete V8 conversion for that...
goto the auctions and grab a mangled XR6 manual for $2k and sell off the parts you dont use
Old 24-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Fordfan4u

IF you are mechanically minded, you can do it yourself for less than half that!
Especially if you keep your eyes open for the parts around, can pick up some pretty sweet deals.
Although being 4k, its 'not' a bad price, drive in drive out. Considering just the reco'd box can cost upto $1800.
3.7 diff gears are fine, probably should go for 3.9's if you want a real noticeable gain.
My mate has an AU XR6, with a built T5, and 3.7's he's mentioned a few times how he should of got 3.9's.

Fordfan
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im liking warranty though. And everything being basically new.

Your forgetting the chances of me finding a wreck down her is slim. Manual.. Wont happen. And for < $4000 Im dreaming..

It wont be happening for a while as i need to save over xmas and what not. Might try and get it done for like $4000 even.. Not liking my chances though.

Old 24-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Fordfan4u

If your 100% sure with this conversion, please reinforce your firewall when your installing your new peddal box. It will save you alot of pain and heartache later on down the track.
New parts and warranty add considerably to that $4k.
Just think to, into the future when you turbo your donk, that stock box won't take it, well not for long, so you're going to need a stronger box in future.
I just dont like doing things twice.

Fordfan
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I priced the same from Mal wood, but it was just to expensive to warrant it, for what you can get and do yourself. As others have said you could do it yourself for half of that (but not new gear of course). I would have went for this option recently when my auto ate itself, but i couldnt afford to have the car off the road while i sourced and waited for parts, so back in went an auto.
Other options are either sell and buy a manual xr6 or xr8, or if you want to keep your fairmont (and i can understand that), then borrow $10K, buy a Manual XR6, swap over the gear and sell it again as an Auto Xr6. Looking through car sales, shouldn't really be to much difference in price.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
MADED-6
MADED.6

i did my manual conversion for $1500 but thats second hand parts and thats for a v8.
if u look on ebay i seen a full manual conversion with all parts needed for like $900 i think it was then get a brand new clutch and your laughing.
u could easily do it for under $1500.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
man u could do a complete V8 conversion for that...
goto the auctions and grab a mangled XR6 manual for $2k and sell off the parts you dont use
Agreed. $4K is way too much for a T5 conversion.
Old 25-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Granted they're all new parts, but that's way too much to be worthwhile IMO. I'm not saying they're a rip, because they are all brand new parts, and it's a drive away price, just saying you could do it cheaper.

For a fair bit less than that price, if you're careful you can piece together a T56 conversion.

As others have pointed out, a manual XR6 wreck from the auctions can be had for way less than 4k, or if you keep your eyes open you can find full conversions for under 1k. Add a new clutch and labour, and you should still get out of it for 2k all up.

I know of someone who used an e-series box which makes it all cheaper again, but I have 0 info on how he did it, or how he got the shifter to line up.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
xrford
WAGONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Im liking warranty though. And everything being basically new.

Your forgetting the chances of me finding a wreck down her is slim. Manual.. Wont happen. And for < $4000 Im dreaming..

It wont be happening for a while as i need to save over xmas and what not. Might try and get it done for like $4000 even.. Not liking my chances though.

Mate I just picked up a T5 for my wagon off ebay this week, it included everything in that list except the Manual Computer, console and boot, and pedals.
The clutch and fork were replaced and had only done bout a thousand km before car was smashed.
With malwood like you said they will warrant it which is nice to know when driving it out, however (and some may not agree with me), but the clutch, flywheel, clutch cable, and clutch fork are the only real parts that need replacing if the box itself is good, the other parts ie: computer, console, pedal assembly etc i would say most likely come from a wreck they have either got hold of or obtained parts from, i could be wrong tho.....

So far for the $370 ive spent im confident i could have a manual in with Heavy duty clutch, billet gear knob, leather boot, etc for round $1000
If you think you can have a crack it it yourself and can afford to have the car off the road for however long you think it will take, then i say have a go, you may have to play a bit of a waiting game till one comes up but you'll enjoy it more knowing you did it saving you a couple grand along the way
Or maybe see how much it is to get someone to just install it then start lookn??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2889_1.jpg (21.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by xrford; 26-11-2008 at 10:41 PM.
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I got my T5Z conversion with everything in that list INCLUDING the manual computer for my XR8 installed by my mechanic with a brand new Heavy duty clutch and billet lightened flywheel for $3200... Drive in, Drive out 2 days later. 4,500 could just about buy another AU. Mal did a mate of mine's BA Pursuit and I might be the only one that thinks it but i wouldn't take my car there if you paid me. Over priced and Arrogant In my opinion. And the fact he my mates 5 speed in his BA then tried to say the box was before we took it to him for a new clutch. Went there sweet as just clutch slipping. Came back clunking and sounded like there was sand in the throw out bearing. And after all that he tried to tell me all ford 5 speeds sound like that???
Thats my rant about Mal Wood's anyway. Ring around you will find a better price then that for sure.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

^^^

That would be enough to put me off going there.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah pretty much.. Im the kinda of bloke that attracts bad luck..

I will take others advises and start looking a little harder! Thanks all.

Old 27-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Yeah pretty much.. Im the kinda of bloke that attracts bad luck..

I will take others advises and start looking a little harder! Thanks all.

Hey mate, i was at Carls performance the other week and he had 3-4 (6 cyl)manual conversion kits for sale complete, dont know what he wanted for them.

He is located in sunshine melbourne.
Ill see if i can dig up his number if you want.

Cheers Mick.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah that would be great thanks Mick!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Havent forgoten you mate, im strugling to find his number iv got it but dont remember where i put it GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Cheers Mick.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURSUIT-250
Hey mate, i was at Carls performance the other week and he had 3-4 (6 cyl)manual conversion kits for sale complete, dont know what he wanted for them.

He is located in sunshine melbourne.
Ill see if i can dig up his number if you want.

Cheers Mick.
If you can't I can, and he is in St Albans.

Had a couple of V8 manuals last I was there too.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post