Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What Option Should I Take???
Supsended Licence for 3 or 6months (depends on what the letter says) 18 26.09%
Good behaviour licence (ie: 1 or 2 points??? for 12 months) 51 73.91%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

Angry Lost My Licence What Option Should I Take?

Hey guys,

Well I did my licence the other week and Now just waiting for the dreaded letter to come in the mail. :

I know I'm going to have a few options.
1) Supsended Licence for 3 or 6months (depends on what the letter says)

2) Good behaviour licence (ie: 1 or 2 points??? for 12 months)

I dont really need a licence for work as the missus can drive me to and from but it would be good to still have the freedom to drive. And I dont know if I could be good enough to do everything right for 12 months

So what do you all think I should do??

Anyone been in this situation before?? and what option did you take??

Never blown all my points before so this is a first for me.

Cheers

Adam

PS: Poll is up the top

CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im in exactly the same position mate, 3 month suspension sounds pretty good, but then again..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I did 12 months on 1? point license, driving habits haven't changed(no speeding tickets etc), I just learned not to get caught. Just recently got the points all back

may as well keep your license and get your missus to drive you to work
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only you know what you drive like. If you can behave yourself then go the restricted license, if not then get off the roads until you can
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
I did 12 months on 1? point license, driving habits haven't changed(no speeding tickets etc), I just learned not to get caught. Just recently got the points all back

may as well keep your license and get your missus to drive you to work

In the same position...I'm going for 12 month good behaviour
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Paddyboy

Hey mate,
I went through the same thing and I took the 3 months suspension. If your missus can drive you then I'd take that option coz you'll be paranoid for a whole year otherwise, and all you need to be is 5kmh over the limit and you lose it for 6 months. I just rode my bike to work for 3 months and got my missus to drive on weekends, wasnt that bad.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Wow thats impressive, 5 posters and 4 in the same/previous position...

All depends on how bad you need your car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I just got off a 12 month good driving behaviour bond (Feb)

Wasn't that bad...just behave yourself!

I chose the 12 month bond because I needed it for work and had no other ways of transport (besides public, but ick) So it was convenient for me.

3 months is good in a way cos you go back to full points after I think.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just take the blower of the territory and you'll be right :

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Only you know what you drive like. If you can behave yourself then go the restricted license, if not then get off the roads until you can
Bingo... its not that hard to drive around and keep out of trouble, it comes down to self control.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I was on the golden point from the 1st Jan 07 to the 1st Jan 08. I took it as I didn't wanna be stuck at home. Mind you it is a pain in the bum. So if you can get away with not having one then probably the easier option.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
CHARGED TERRA

Default Reason I Have No Points Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Bingo... its not that hard to drive around and keep out of trouble, it comes down to self control.
Its not that I dont have any self control, I do. Its not like I drive around doing skids all day and play traffic light racers.

Maybe I should explain what happened to make me loose the points on my licence.

Ok.

I started off with 12 points and I have had those 12 points my whole 15yrs of full licenced driving.

The first hit was when I had my road bike. I pulled away from the lights rounded the corner into the inside lane and old mate who was in the outside lane decided he was going to over take the car infront of him, Now i was just coming up past his rear door when he decided to start changing lanes, so I twisted the right hand and shot past him to avoid getting cleaned up.

Mr Plod was just up the road doing radar on traffic going the other way, heard my bike accelerating and procceeded to check my speed instead.

He got me doing 135 in a 60 zone (my Aprilia did 0 -100 in 3.5 sec) then rechecked my speed again and i had dropped back to 85 so thats what he pinged me for.

I think he let me off on the higher speed due to the fact I actually stopped for him, even after he fell flat on his rear from slipping up on the moist grass embankment to get to me.

Good bye 6 points.

Now the final hit that has taken my licence away from me is exactly the same situation as above, Except I was merging onto a freeway and old mate in his 4x4 ute who was behind a truck decided to overtake without looking.

So I moved as far right in my lane as possible and accelerated to save getting side swiped and also have the car behind me run up my backside if I had hit the brakes.

I Backed off as I was coming up past the truck and there is Mrs Plod with the gun trained right on me, Got done doing 118 in a 80 zone.

Good bye 6 more pionts.

Good bye Licence to drive :

Both situations were to avoid a collision/accident but that seems to make no difference to the law. :togo:

Last edited by CHARGED TERRA; 11-05-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Im not totally sure how it works on your side of Oz mate...
In WA you have the same choice, double or nothing. If you lose your lic for 3 months you can opt to do double or nothing for a period of 12 mths. If your good your laughing , if not you effectively lose your lic for a 6 mth term.
12ths is a longtime and honestly the chances of getting caught by speeding or anything is a big thing to consider.
Im sure you work 2 weeks on/ 1 off yeah, and if you really dont need to drive whilst your home for the week(remembering the Kids etc). Take the 3 months mate, it'll go quick especially whilst your on your week on and in 4 swings your done mate. I too have done it this way and found it easier. Last thing you want it to lose it for 6 mths cause you got a fine as your fog lights were on :(.. A mate over here just got done for that.. 1 pt $50 fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

how long ago did you lose your first set of points mate, Sure you havent got them back yet???
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got booked on the way home from work the other morning, forgot to turn cruise control off thru a construction zone, waiting for the letter to come in the mail....

I'm the kind that gets paranoid real easy about this sort of thing, i need my license for work, it's 30km from here, and i need to be able to drive consumers around in work cars.... I'm happy to pay what ever the fine is, as long as i can keep driving!
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
CHARGED TERRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
how long ago did you lose your first set of points mate, Sure you havent got them back yet???
Yeah mate I'm sure. Missus went in to pay my $466 fine today and I was talking to her on the phone when she was at QLD Transport, Asked her to find out how many points are on my licence for me.

Answer = "ZERO, Letter will arrive in the mail with options"
Old 11-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sympathise with the OP..It's not hard to accumulate 12 points in 3 years.

I've been driving since 1978 . First speeding fine was a minor infringement in 1999...so thats 21 years with a clean record.

Fast forward to October 2007 - 2 minor infringements within 3 weeks of eachother on the same stretch of road , same time of day (9.30pm at night) and one of those being on a double demerit weekend - 9 points given in one month !....The speed limit on that stretch of road had recently changed from a 70 to a 50 zone and I was unaware of the change...Pinged both times by a cop on the side of the road with a gun...I was doing 65 thinking it was a 70 zone.

If I had have received the first penalty notice before the date of the 2nd offence I would have been a bit wiser I think

Then 17 months forward to February 2009...Picked up by a speed camera on a weekday afternoon in a school zone doing 53 in a 40 zone - so 4 more points allocated. No excuse for this one apart form the fact I just didn't notice the school zone sign but was aware of the speed camera as I use the road often, but never during weekdays.

I may have got off the first of the October 2007 speeding offences had my very first fine happened 10 or more years ago, but was short by 18 months
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGED TERRA
Its not that I dont have any self control, I do. Its not like I drive around doing skids all day and play traffic light racers.

Maybe I should explain what happened to make me loose the points on my licence.

Ok.

I started off with 12 points and I have had those 12 points my whole 15yrs of full licenced driving.

The first hit was when I had my road bike. I pulled away from the lights rounded the corner into the inside lane and old mate who was in the outside lane decided he was going to over take the car infront of him, Now i was just coming up past his rear door when he decided to start changing lanes, so I twisted the right hand and shot past him to avoid getting cleaned up.

Mr Plod was just up the road doing radar on traffic going the other way, heard my bike accelerating and procceeded to check my speed instead.

He got me doing 135 in a 60 zone (my Aprilia did 0 -100 in 3.5 sec) then rechecked my speed again and i had dropped back to 85 so thats what he pinged me for.

I think he let me off on the higher speed due to the fact I actually stopped for him, even after he fell flat on his rear from slipping up on the moist grass embankment to get to me.

Good bye 6 points.

Now the final hit that has taken my licence away from me is exactly the same situation as above, Except I was merging onto a freeway and old mate in his 4x4 ute who was behind a truck decided to overtake without looking.

So I moved as far right in my lane as possible and accelerated to save getting side swiped and also have the car behind me run up my backside if I had hit the brakes.

I Backed off as I was coming up past the truck and there is Mrs Plod with the gun trained right on me, Got done doing 118 in a 80 zone.

Good bye 6 more pionts.

Good bye Licence to drive :

Both situations were to avoid a collision/accident but that seems to make no difference to the law. :togo:
Park the bike or change your riding style.... its getting you into too much trouble...

Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
Imagine_
Master Tech

you also much consider the other side of things... insurance?? going up and any other affects as such, job... even tho u said you don't need it now... what may happen in 1-2months time...

but personally go for 12months.. and start paying attention to whats around you.... i've been driving for 9yrs and never been caught....
Imagine_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
CHARGED TERRA

4Vman, I dont have the bike anymore. Sold it to buy a wedding ring. :( :togo:

Oh yeah and to make sure I live long enough to watch my kids grow up. (To many people that dont take notice of bikes on the road helped that decision)

My riding style was always defensive. Its the only way to stay alive on a bike. I wasnt riding beside him (thats a big NO NO) i was going past his rear door as he came across, so I accelerated to avoid what would have been a nasty incident with the armco railing on the bridge i was going across.

Track days & Club racing was where I opened the bike up. Not on public roads.

Last edited by CHARGED TERRA; 11-05-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #21
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Get into the habbit of checking your speed..
Stop perving !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Oh yeah and to make sure I live long enough to watch my kids grow up. (To many people that dont take notice of bikes on the road helped that decision)

My riding style was always defensive. Its the only way to stay alive on a bike. I wasnt riding beside him (thats a big NO NO) i was going past his rear door as he came across, so I accelerated to avoid what would have been a nasty incident with the armco railing on the bridge i was going across.

Track days & Club racing was where I opened the bike up. Not on public roads.
Wise move.. road bikes can be addictive, i've stayed off road bikes for a while now because i want to be around to see my daughter grow older.
I don't think id be going too hard on you to remind you that you did accelerate upto 65kph over the limit to pass a car on the LHS that's all of only 5 lm long... maybe a bit of over kill when a quick "blat" would have done the job???

Old 11-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #23
CHARGED TERRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Wise move.. road bikes can be addictive, i've stayed off road bikes for a while now because i want to be around to see my daughter grow older.
I don't think id be going too hard on you to remind you that you did accelerate upto 65kph over the limit to pass a car on the LHS that's all of only 5 lm long... maybe a bit of over kill when a quick "blat" would have done the job???
I know what your saying about wanting to see your daughter grow up mate.

I actually overtook in the RH lane, the armco runs along the centre aswell, and it only takes seconds to reach that speed in 1st gear ( I was still accelerating past him doing 40ks when he merged). I know a blat would have done the job but when your about to get taken out by a car you just want to get the hell outta the way as fast as possible. (I'm sure you would agree with that one) :

Last edited by CHARGED TERRA; 11-05-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: missed a word or 2 lol
Old 11-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #24
Scott

In NSW a several years ago, I got pulled over for having a little bit of sideways fun on the way to the pub to get a 6 pack for some drinks later that night. Nothing huge, just a little on one corner in the rain. As I pulled into the bottle shop, he lit me up and cam had a chat, took my licence details and let me go with a stern talking to.

As I left the pub, he followed me and I was sure to be a model driver but he lit me up again. I pulled over to be informed that my licence was suspended for my last indiscretion. He then went on to tell me my eyes looked blood shot and I was either drunk or stoned. Much as I declared my innocence, he called out the hwy patrol who put me on the bag whilst the first fella tried to find me a defect.

As I knew I would, I blew 0% and the hwy guy (and girl) asked what was going on and I duly filled them in. They told me, about 5 times that allthough my licence was suspended, I could still drive home because there was no record of being formally advised it was suspended yet [provided I maintained that story to the first bloke]. A letter in the mail it seemed was merely the first step and most people react to it but there is every chance that the mail simply didn't get to you - which was the case for me.

Anyway, they obviously knew the first bloke was a drip and were good enough to let me know that suspension isn't really suspension until it has been logged in the system as you having being informed directly. Yes you are suspended but if you proclaim you didn't know then there is some lattitude - in my case, take your car straight home and sort your business out.... don't be silly enough to drive until it is.

As it happens, the date in the letter I didn't get was when the ban started from and I was pulled over and formally advised 2 days before the 3 months were up. First bloke begrudgingly sends me home in amongst telling me I am a lying and that I am a stoner (never touch the stuff!). Anyway, park car Friday, pay bill Monday and get driving again.

It would be great if someone could confirm if this still exists in NSW or any other state as it seemed like a great little loop hole to a young bloke who desperately needed his licence for work.

Is a suspended licence really suspended or is there a window of opportunity to exploit the system?

BTW, I voted be a good boy for 12 months, it aint hard.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #25
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

My apprentice just finished the one year on one point, if a young P plate driver can do it i don't see why a mature person would have any trouble.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #26
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I Agree with Falcon Coupe, if a young apprentice can last one year with one point i cant see why you couldn't.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #27
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Traded a bike for a handbrake, probably a good move. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #28
Trendseeker
Regular Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
My apprentice just finished the one year on one point, if a young P plate driver can do it i don't see why a mature person would have any trouble.
Fluff. Thousands of young drivers (apprentices or otherwise) get through years of driving without collecting any points. Didn't Charged Terra say that he got through 15 years of driving without any points? Young or old, anyone can do it with a bit of what they other guy said: self control.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #29
CHARGED TERRA

Well thanks for all your input guys

Huge difference in what people think I should do

Supsended Licence for 3 or 6months (depends on what the letter says)
13 Votes @ 28.26%

Good behaviour licence (ie: 1 or 2 points??? for 12 months)
33 Votes @ 71.74%

After having a good hard think about it and talking to the missus.

I've decided to wait to see what the letter says regarding the Length of suspension.

If its only going to be 3months then I'll just cop the ban.

If its going to be 6 months then I'll take the 12 months Good Behaviour Option.

Cheers

Adam
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

As Imagine said check your premium out and use that in your decision making process.

Do a couple of the online insurance pricing and see what the difference is, I remember when doing mine it was an extra $500 if I had have suspended my licence.