Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
BlueXr8

Default steeda short sfiter

ok i installed mine today and god damnnn the transmison whine is loud esp. in reverse but the it make the motor sound heaps better as the nosies now travel through the car sounds heaps beefer all up not to bad yet to take it for a proper drive only problem i have is the rear stop bolt hits the transmision tunnel but oh well feels good

anyone else got an update on how theirs went?

BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
335JET
@jas_23_

was suppose to do mine yesterday, but looks like this saturday will be the day.
is the transmission noise annoying or does it sound really good
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
BlueXr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 4LTR
was suppose to do mine yesterday, but looks like this saturday will be the day.
is the transmission noise annoying or does it sound really good
have you ever revesred a laser with a diff on the way out lol

its pretty annoying in reverse ill go for a drive soon and let you know tonight

other than that shifting from 2nd to 3rd is merley a slap of the shifter and thats about it perfect 2nd to 3rd shifts
Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
BlueXr8

ok seems all ok execpt that i now have really loud nosie coming from my car mine is an 8 but no it sounds like **** i think the exhaust is resting on the body it sound like **** got to look at it tomorrow or something
Old 11-07-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
ebs_4l

how the hell can this have any effect on gearbox noise?? The only bit that can make it noisier is the bolt resting on the tunnel
EB 4L, 8.4:1, GT3540r, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold and plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, 600x300x100 cooler, Surecam custom turbo grind, autronic SM4, siemens 72lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, Innovate LM-1, Turbosmart Street Reg, bosch 044, turbosmart 48mm w/gate and v-port BOV. 335.8rwkw 1bar
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:45 AM   #6
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

what the hell is a steeda shifter?
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Billet short shifter.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
TimXR6

i put mine on sunday. Ive got an EF xr6 and the rear stop bolt also fouled on the tunnel, just give it a light massage to help it fit. so no biggy.

Transmission is certainly louder but dont worry about it. It is louder because you have lost the rubber bush between the shifter base and the shifter handle. Without that insulation its all metal on metal so you hear everything. I dont mind it actually it gives it that raw straight cut gear sound at high revs.

Did you re-use both the rubber boots? If you didnt that will also contribute to noise. I had to cut the base of the bottom boot into two halves to clear the stop bolts. I then stretched the top boot over the shifter base.

I also had to loose the little plastic washer at the top of my el gt boot because the tri-ax handle is too fat.

The only gripe i have is with the triax handle in 2nd and 4th the handle sits verryy low on the console.

other than that definately worth the coin

BlueXR8 are you running the standard shifter?

cheers
Tim
TimXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys: Im glad to hear your happy with the results! Hopefully everyone gets many years enjoyment out of these like I know I will with mine ;)
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Does anyone have a pic of them installed?? Would be good to see where the stick sits in 2nd and 4th.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
ebs_4l

with mine, i built a custom gear stick, so it comes up vertical, instead of the angle from the std stick (they look silly with a aftermarket knob) and redesigned the pivot section to reduce the throw, exactly like the basic billet short shifters you see for like $400-500. it cost me $0 and is pefect, has about a 2-2.5in throw (havent actually measured) i relaise you guys are talking about the rip shift style that makes the 2-3 shift easy, they are spring loaded or something ay?? with the adjusting bolts
EB 4L, 8.4:1, GT3540r, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold and plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, 600x300x100 cooler, Surecam custom turbo grind, autronic SM4, siemens 72lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, Innovate LM-1, Turbosmart Street Reg, bosch 044, turbosmart 48mm w/gate and v-port BOV. 335.8rwkw 1bar
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimXR6
The only gripe i have is with the triax handle in 2nd and 4th the handle sits verryy low on the console.
I had the same issue. Im now using the stock EA shifter.

As for the rubber boot. I never had one. Currently i can see asphalt ;) could explain the noise, and the CO poisioning

Old 11-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #13
EDXR6T

got mine in on saterday

and im loving it;)

Yer the rear stop bolt hit the tunnle but still got the correct air gap so meh. It is noticeabley noiser but if you use the rubber boot and use the old shifter rubber that will quiten it up a bit. And maby some extra pading
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
Rowy,xr6
Pods rule

These shifters sound pretty sweet, i was just wondering where one may obtain these shifters and how much, i probably cant afford one but it may be something to save for... plus 2 of my brothers have 5 speeds so they may want one

Current Rides- Xf ute, just installed ea wiring loom, dashboard, 3.9lt mpfi and a 5 speed with extractors and a 2/1-2 exhaust... its much better now!
Check out Build- http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11288204
-BF XR6... And its BLACK!
Rowy,xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
TimXR6

EDXR6T. The beauty of solid mounting the shifter and not using the rubber bush is that you get a more positive feel.

seriously, who gives a **** about a bit of gear noise.

Is it just me, or do the stop bolts seem to do **** all of nothing? You set an air gap so the shifter doesnt touch, if the shifter never touches it, what use is it?

Tim
TimXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #16
honer
Back to N/A land

Fitted mine the other night (Lost my 1/4drive 13mm, so it was a pain doing the back bolts)

The stop bolts would of fouled the tunnel on my XR8, however wound them right out when I put the shifter in... Then adjusted.. No problems, no bashing of metal...

I didnt follow the instructions of the setting the stop bolts, agreed with TimXR6 with the 'airgap' I don't see shifter ever touching (unless you shift so hard you break the knob off your gearstick and put your hand through the console)

I put the car in 3rd, wound the stop bolt till it touched.. backed off a turn.. Checked 1st.. Rinse and repeat for 2nd/4th adjustment. I think the airgap is there to stop squeezers adjusting them wrong not allowing to the gear to fully engage !

PS: THANKS HOTWIRE !
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

These any relation to a Rip Shifter?

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #18
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

347_XR8: From what I know of the rip-shifter, these are a US Made short shifter that is VERY Similar in design. I managed to organise a group buy for people here at $200ea, as opposed to the almost $450 for the aussie made rip-shifter. They are made from a single piece of billet aluminium, and contain a pre-load 2-3 mechanism to ensure that 3rd is never missed. So in features are the same as the rip-shifter. I just dont know about the actual construction.
Old 13-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
BlueXr8

sorted mine out sounded like crap coz the rear stop was sitting on the tunnel and i didnt notice it fixed it on tuesday with a bit of bashing not much the tightened up the gearbox bit higher i cant tell if it makes a noise anymore as the reason it was noisy has been fixed plus i got an 8 and its damn loud
Old 15-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #20
335JET
@jas_23_

fitted mine today, its ******in unreal, love it to bits especially the 2nd to 3rd shift.
thanks Hotwire
Old 16-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #21
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys I am willing to help people out with another group buy if there is enough interest. A minimum order of 5 is needed, however if I can get another 10 I get a better discount. So anyone reading this let me know ;)
Old 18-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #22
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

guys just a quick one...

i havn't put my steeda shifter in yet however i am planning to do so on friday...

is there a difference of quality of the throws from the stock to the steeda i know the throws are shorter just wondering if the shift quality is better or the same as from standard.

looking forward to getting it in with a new BA momo gear know, gear bag & shorter BPT lever.
Old 18-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #23
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITED_6
guys just a quick one...

i havn't put my steeda shifter in yet however i am planning to do so on friday...

is there a difference of quality of the throws from the stock to the steeda i know the throws are shorter just wondering if the shift quality is better or the same as from standard.

looking forward to getting it in with a new BA momo gear know, gear bag & shorter BPT lever.
Shift quality is markedly better. You wont regret it

Old 18-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #24
335JET
@jas_23_

its heaps better than stock
Old 22-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #25
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

got it in yesterday must say its all well and im definately happy with it
quality change shorter throws & no sloppyness.
Old 24-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #26
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but......... since when do shifters make gear noise? WTF!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #27
old_mate
Smash the Boost

if you remove the rubber bush from where the shifter handle mates to the gearbox you'd be surprised how noisy the bugger is. Im thinking these short shifters dont have that bush at all

NB while i havent done it, it apparently makes the stock shift feel a little better, but nothing will help more than a proper rip shift

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #28
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I left my rubber on and it still is a bit louder.
Anyone got a pic of the triax handle in 2nd and 4th gear positions?
Using the standard handle on my XR8.
Old 25-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #29
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
NB while i havent done it, it apparently makes the stock shift feel a little better, but nothing will help more than a proper rip shift
These are the same thing as a B&M Ripshifter. They're only cheaper because they were bought in bulk from the US.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #30
335JET
@jas_23_

i took the inner rubber boot off alltogether, i actually like the wining noise from the gears.
i use the triax handle, ill be able to get a pic soon