Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2022, 08:44 PM   #1
leesa

Default Oil Pans

I'm not sure if this belongs in a detailing thread but I couldn't find a more suitable thread for it.

Has anyone used these? My concern is that in their video they don't show an accurate depiction of the speed/flow of draining oil. That tiny little trickle just isn't going to cut it. Is it because any faster and it'll spray all over the place? Is this bottle really able to catch the oil at a more realistic speed? Has anyone here tried one?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/adventur...torer_p0111147
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...re/363985.html

I have taken it out of the detailing thread and created it's own thread.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2022, 08:56 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Oil Pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I'm not sure if this belongs in a detailing thread but I couldn't find a more suitable thread for it.

Has anyone used these? My concern is that in their video they don't show an accurate depiction of the speed/flow of draining oil. That tiny little trickle just isn't going to cut it. Is it because any faster and it'll spray all over the place? Is this bottle really able to catch the oil at a more realistic speed? Has anyone here tried one?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/adventur...torer_p0111147
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...re/363985.html

I have taken it out of the detailing thread and created it's own thread.
Never used one, but seems a bit gimmicky to me. What do you with the oil in that container? Take it to the dump and leave it at the oil recycler station? Otherwise if you want decant that you are double handling the oil and for no benefit.

I think it would be able to handle the flow OK as that opening is the same size as the sump plug.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
hayseed

I've got 2. A 10 Litre One & a 60 Litre One for my Trucks.
Mine are a bit Different to those though, as they have an Air vent plug at the Top which makes a Huge difference when draining the oil out of a vehicle.

They're very easy to Empty Too, i put Mine into an IBC shuttle & when Full a collection service Comes & pumps It Out..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #4
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Never used one, but seems a bit gimmicky to me. What do you with the oil in that container? Take it to the dump and leave it at the oil recycler station? Otherwise if you want decant that you are double handling the oil and for no benefit.

I think it would be able to handle the flow OK as that opening is the same size as the sump plug.
Supercheap generally have a big crate out the front where you can drop your used oil but it needs to be in a proper container/bottle. Or take it to the dump, yeah.

At the moment I double handle and it's a pain in the ***, this thing looks like it'd avoid all of that.... if it works. I wouldn't bother decanting it, for $15 I'd drain it straight into that bottle, put a lid on it and drop it off for disposal.
It just looks awful shallow and I'm suspicious it'd bounce over the side or just not drain into the bottle as fast as it's draining out of the sump.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #5
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Supercheap generally have a big crate out the front where you can drop your used oil but it needs to be in a proper container/bottle. Or take it to the dump, yeah.

At the moment I double handle and it's a pain in the ***, this thing looks like it'd avoid all of that.... if it works. I wouldn't bother decanting it, for $15 I'd drain it straight into that bottle, put a lid on it and drop it off for disposal.
It just looks awful shallow and I'm suspicious it'd bounce over the side or just not drain into the bottle as fast as it's draining out of the sump.
Have you checked that they will accept that container?

Our dump will only accept oil that is in oil containers.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #6
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I've got 2. A 10 Litre One & a 60 Litre One for my Trucks.
Mine are a bit Different to those though, as they have an Air vent plug at the Top which makes a Huge difference when draining the oil out of a vehicle
Does the air vent plug affect how fast the oil drains into the bottle?
Old 09-02-2022, 10:06 PM   #7
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Have you checked that they will accept that container?

Our dump will only accept oil that is in oil containers.
I haven't specifically asked for that particular container, no, but last time I asked their rule was as long as it's a container designed to hold oil. No milk bottles/etc.

I should have read the reviews, there's one that says it spits oil everywhere because there's no breather hole. Makes sense now why the video demo was just a small trickle of oil.
oh ****, they even included a picture. How mad would you be.

Quote:
Needs a better design
Hole which oil drains into isn’t big enough and need some sort of sealable breather hole to release the air as oil fills container. End result ended in cleaning oil up for a couple of hours.
hayseed where did you get yours with the extra hole?
Old 09-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Does the air vent plug affect how fast the oil drains into the bottle?
The (more expensive) one from Bunnings has a breather hole.

If I was to buy one it'd be this one as it holds 12L and my car holds 8, which would be pushing it with an 8L container

Old 09-02-2022, 10:40 PM   #9
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I have used the white one they sell from supercheap, if you are draining your oil it splashes out when you first drop the plug, only used it once and went back to the deep drain pan they sell, now have a drain tank I use with the hoist.

I now only use the supercheap one for draining coolant, it does not matter if a little splashes.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2022, 10:46 PM   #10
hayseed

Quote:

hayseed where did you get yours with the extra hole?

I'll dig It out & take a pic(or 3) for You. Won't be until the Weekend though..

I bought them from Westrac, back when they were selling Cat Trucks..
Old 10-02-2022, 01:20 AM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Why would you bother, whats wrong with your basic drain pan and an empty oil bottle.
I keep a spare 6L bottle for any extra new oil I have left after doing the refill and then pour the old oil into the emptied bottle.
I use the Stanley brand from Bunnings as you can tip it up to drain easily unlike some of the cheapies that have awful pouring spouts.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-drain-pan_p0099720
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 02:56 AM   #12
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I've got a couple of the supercheap ones, was delighted to find one after dads went missing sometime in the 90's

I'm yet to have more than a couple of drops to splash over the side, but I know what way the oil is going to flow out of the sump, so I place the pan accordingly
Old 10-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #13
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Why would you bother, whats wrong with your basic drain pan and an empty oil bottle.
I keep a spare 6L bottle for any extra new oil I have left after doing the refill and then pour the old oil into the emptied bottle.
I use the Stanley brand from Bunnings as you can tip it up to drain easily unlike some of the cheapies that have awful pouring spouts.

I never have any empty oil bottles, I only ever have the bottles the oil came in and even then I have to double handle it and put the leftover new oil into a non-oil container to keep it, it's a nuisance. If shops sold empty oil bottles it'd be a non-issue but for some reason no shop seems to sell them. Shame really.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #14
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or take it to the dump, yeah.
I think most council transfer stations take oil for free
Old 10-02-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't get it.
You drain oil into a traditional tray, poor new oil in engine.
Use empty oil container for old engine oil.
Empty used oil at recovery depot. Keep bottle to have as spare. You might even find an empty 20L container there and take that instead.

Pretty damn simple.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #16
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
I don't get it.
Empty used oil at recovery depot. Keep bottle to have as spare. You might even find an empty 20L container there and take that instead.

Pretty damn simple.
Doing an hour round trip to pour out oil just to keep a bottle versus doing a ten minute round trip to a store with oil collection and having to sacrifice the bottle, it's not really worth the extra time just to keep a bottle.

If you don't get it that's fine but just move along, this isn't a thread to argue about the only way to dispose of oil.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:32 AM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

15L ! You've won me
Quote:
I don't get it.

Pretty damn simple.
I also pour the old oil into the (now empty) new oil container, but I then take the container and put the whole thing in Supercheap's recycled oil bin.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #18
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have one of these, got it about 15 years ago from super cheap but never seen them for sale anywhere locally again.. works great as it's pretty low and holds 10L, I just decant the used oil back into the fresh oil containers and take it up to the tip once I have my 20L worth

https://www.amazon.com/GarageBOSS-Qu.../dp/B01I7275QY
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 07:39 PM   #19
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I don't get it.

Pretty damn simple.
And what happens If you've bought a 10L as i did for the Ranger but only use 9L as it only takes 9.6L and you dont fully drain them?
Sacrifice a litre of oil by tipping the dirty oil in with it?
If you're going to throw out $20 worth of new oil you might as well buy the pan/bottle leesa has mentioned and toss it in the Supercheap bin.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:43 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
15L ! You've won me.
Its the best one I've ever used, I decided to renew my tool chest with a much bigger one a couple of years ago and decided to fill it with a heap of new tools.
I went to Bunnings and started loading anything with Stanley on it into my trolley, came across these and thought why not, haven't looked back.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:06 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
And what happens If you've bought a 10L as i did for the Ranger but only use 9L as it only takes 9.6L and you dont fully drain them?
If you're going to throw out $20 worth of new oil you might as well buy the pan/bottle leesa has mentioned and toss it in the Supercheap bin.
My car takes 8L but my oil only comes in 5, 6 or 10L sizes. Any excess goes into empty milk bottles so I can use the original containers for the dirty stuff.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:29 PM   #22
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On my 4WD I've fitted a Fumoto oil valve:

This makes it a lot easier to do oil changes given I have bash plates fitted.

I have about 3 feet of clear tubing that I slide over the outlet nozzle that drains the oil straight into a cheap 8 litre oil pan. Once the oil stops flowing I flip over the shut-off valve, remove the tubing and I'm done. I then decant the oil into a 10 litre container and dispose of it at the tip. I change my own oil every 12 months (the intermediate changes are done by my mechanic) - it would be rare that I'm not going to the tip some time during that period so its easy to pour it out there.

No more mucking around with oil flowing over the sump plug etc.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 08:46 PM   #23
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR View Post
On my 4WD I've fitted a Fumoto oil valve:

This makes it a lot easier to do oil changes

No more mucking around with oil flowing over the sump plug etc.

How is this not spoken about more?
Does that little pin thing come out for safety or is there any risk of it ever being knocked and accidentally opened?
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 09:03 PM   #24
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
My car takes 8L but my oil only comes in 5, 6 or 10L sizes. Any excess goes into empty milk bottles so I can use the original containers for the dirty stuff.
I do the same but don't you find it a nuisance? So much double handling and risking oil spilling. Wouldn't be it be convenient to eliminate a couple steps?

FastXR's valve, a piece of tubing and one of these drain bottles sounds pretty good. Open the valve, let it drain straight into the bottle, turn off the valve, put the lid on, drop it off for disposal. No spilling, no decanting, no sliding drain pans too fast and having a wave of it creep up over the edge.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:04 PM   #25
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a spring loaded latch that rotates 90 degrees. Push it down and to the right and it opens the valve to let the oil out. Reverse the procedure and it stops the flow of oil.

They aren't very long (maybe an inch) so the chances of it scraping on something would be very remote. I've never had any issues with leakage and I've traveled over some pretty rough roads (had it installed for about 6 or 7 years).

This video shows how it works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7MQEQSiRhA

https://oilvalve.com.au/
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 09:11 PM   #26
hayseed

About 30 yrs ago My Sister was living in a Share house in Sydney. One of the Tenants was a Courier .One day I went to see my sister. He was Giving His Van a Service..
He had parked It Over the Grate of the Storm water Drain in the Curb. Pulled the Sump Plug the Oil went through the Grate, down the Drain. Sump Plug back In Fill with Oil.. Good to Go...!!
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 09:23 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I do the same but don't you find it a nuisance? So much double handling and risking oil spilling. Wouldn't be it be convenient to eliminate a couple steps?
A little but it's no big deal, if I was that fussed I could eliminate all the steps and give it to 'the man' to do the lot
Old 10-02-2022, 10:21 PM   #28
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I said, just grab a 20L container from anywhere and use that.
Use it to put all your engine oil, diff, gearbox, old mower fuel etc
Once a year empty it at your local oil recycling facility.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 11:05 PM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to be a nonsensical concept.

I use a pretty normal (very cheap) plastic oil pan, I would guess it could hold a max of around 25L. I then fill up the car with the new oil, and then pour the old oil into the empty containers. Yes, I always have an empty or two around to cater for overlap.

Seems to me to be the classic "solution to a problem that doesn't exist" and not a very good one.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 12:02 AM   #30
leesa

All these people with spare containers just laying around as if empty containers grow on trees.
Anyways, the original question was answered moons back so imma exit stage left and leave you all to continue your shock and horror that others might live a different experience that doesn't result in available oil-grade containers just laying around for use.