Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Default What's your favourite Restaurant--and Location ?

Did a similar topic on the other FF last year,but since we're on the new one AFF,what's your favourite Restaurant if you want to go and eat out or for some special occassion or maybe even it's just for a nice view somewhere out in the country or the the city and it's suburb's.
I have a few,if i want a crayfish i go to Wings and Finns at Tooradin airfield great service and fresh crayfish flown in from Flinders Island,it's a restaurant sort of hidden away that not too many people seem to know about.
If i want Italian food then i go to Lygon Street Carlton,as there are numerous eating places there to choose from,also Southbank has great restaurants with nice views of the Big Smoke ,went down to Pier 35 last Sunday down at Port Melbourne next to the Yarra River and was impressed,also there a countless Wineries with restaurants out Yarra Valley way that are also amongst my favourites.
Give us some your favourite eating places that you might go to and share your experience with us.

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter

Last edited by GTP 320; 25-05-2005 at 05:41 PM.
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Dodge
i like to be stroked

sydney Flavour of india at glebe, doyles at watsons bay, harrys cafe de wheels woolooomooloooloo ( He He)
melbourne pig and wistle up at sassafrass
brisbane Mikes kitchen at robina , cha cha cha , thai orchard
adelade the airline food leaving the place
WA same as adelade rear vision mirror on the qantas
tassie , dont know it was all can food when we did targa, most of the fresh seafood wasnt available to buy unless u ordered from the butcher on wednesday...
Old 25-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

I used to love Chez Luciene in Moonee Ponds, but they closed down.

Now I'm looking for a place that makes brilliant Oysters Kilpatrick, super fresh calamari and Lobster.

For now I'll have to stick to the local fish and chip shop (not that I'd eat their calamari aka processed fish!!). :P
Old 25-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
rodderz

Havent been out for a feed for a while since getting the house, used to go a fair bit

Better ones I have been to were Georgio's in Hawthorn, Stefan's Steak House Balwyn, Thai Tani Fitzroy, Limor's Caulfield, Sandy Pub is ok, and the more popular places we went to were the Lambs on Lygon for the souva's or Pasta Rustica which Mauz's parents run
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
MAD
Petro-sexual

Anytime I am up in canberra I try to always make a trip over to the Central Cafe in Queanbeyan. They have two sized menus, "light eater" and "extreme". I had trouble getting through a "light eaters" porterhouse with chips. Their prices are fantastic, but they definately dont skimp on the quality.

A must if you are in the area!
Old 25-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
xrgran

Black stump restaurant in Sydney. Pokolbin winery in the Hunter Valley is mmm, has accommodation and entertainment on weekends to. Limors was good.
There is a fantastic Italian Pizza place the Canberrians take us to each time we visit, just don't know the name or where but we always find it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Dez
Banned

accetta's for italian in werribee main street...love the chicken chausseur (sp) there, and the filet mingon is quite good, or was last time i had it which was under the old management.

di caprios isnt too bad....not the best selection of mains but the pizza is good.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

A little place in Junee called Betty and Muriels - not long been opened in the old Loftus Hotel which they restored and did up, and did a fantastic job too.

Tuesday is $10 steak night and it is by far the best meal you will find for the price. This place is so good they have a regular bus service every Saturday night from Wagga to bring patrons over, and its ALWAYS full, they usually have to run 2 buses.
Old 26-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #9
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dock of the Bay at Carlo Point just near Rainbow beach Qld.
Great food,great prices and friendly staff.
Forgot to add the restuarant sits over the water and the view of the Tin Can Bay area is spectacular,boats all over the place.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by MO; 26-05-2005 at 08:34 PM.
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 07:35 AM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

BreakFast Creek Hotel:- really good steaks just take your wallet

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #11
XRchic
Hello

My favourite restaurant is Jasmine's - It is Indian, very hot and very very nice although not cheap. It is in Hindmarsh Square in the city and we go there a fair bit for work dinners.

I also like Chefs of Tandoori on Unley Rd.

For Italian, Cafe Rimini in Blackwood is good and Buongiorno which are all over the place here.

For Thai, the Star of Siam in Gouger Steet in the city is the best - their beef curry is the best!

The Windy Point Restaurant is a really nice silver service place on the top of the hill with a full 270 degree view of the city. We took Eamon's Mum there for her birthday when she came over, but it is REALLY pricey. And they have things like Moreton Bay Bugs as a main course! Not really kid friendly.

Mmmmmmmmmm Im hungry now.... How does curry for breakfast sound???

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
Hawk
I am The Brain!

I don't get out anywhere near enough to have a favourite restaurant. Mostly due to the fact I have no girlfriend or money.

I do love food though, and would love to get out more....but it would only be to a place that gives me a decent meal, not one of the poncey upper-class wannabe restaurant that charges you $30 for a tiny piece of beef on a massive place.

Give me a plate full of decent food anyday.

(Although I am partial to "Hawk's Restaurant"....my own kitchen where I love experimenting with my cooking!)

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Well... up here would have to say Cafe Zuppa on Katoomba st makes the most awesome eggs benedict anywhere.

My hubby eats loads of sushi but said the best place he's ever had it is in Katoomba at the new Japanese take away. Also the Indian restaurant in Katoomba, Taj of the Mountains, is the best Indian I've eaten for a long time. Yum. The thing about Katoomba is that it is a touristy town so we have plenty of cafes and eateries up here... and they have to be fairly decent to compete!

Also we had very nice food at Leichhardt in the Piazza area... expensive but very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 10:33 AM   #14
Twisted
Contributing Member

Hmm I have 3:

The Mediteranean, Palmerston NT. Best seafood plater ever.

The resturaunt we went to for the dinner with Tom Gorman & David Flint. Awesome banquet/meat platter.

Raphael's, Watton St Werribee. Mmmm salt'n'pepper calamari!

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

central cafe in Qbn as mentioned has good MASSIVE meals but the best steaks have to be from Vlado's in Melbourne, been around since the 60s (and hasn't changed much inside) Holds the record for being awarded the best steaks in the world more times than anyone else through the reputable agencies who judge those things (hmmm, how do we get that job?) was certainly worth the trip from canberra last year.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
I'll second that!!! :sm_headba

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
greyute

VALINTINOS... Its a medium sized italian place at 110 Canterbury rd Heathmont. Good food great service. Another is AMICI another italian place at 726-728 Burke rd Camberwell and for a bit of fun try CAMPARI at 2 Waterfront place Port Melbourne (near station pier) Spanish tappas and lots,lots more..
Old 26-05-2005, 07:19 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

If Pasta is what you want, then you have to go to "Leo's Pasta Bar" in Fitzroy Street St Kilda. If pizza is what you want, then its gotta be "Da Pino's", in Box Hill

Ultimate pizzas I reckon were from "La Porcella" in Rathdowne Street Carlton, its now a Chinese restaurant so I guess no more peetz from there!

Another awesome restaurant which is now closed was called "Cavalli" in Fitzroy St St Kilda. It was pretty classy, really it was a exotic car showroom with a 5 star restaurant among the cars (with lambo's BMW M series cars, ferraris, ducati's, vespe' and the like). If you felt like a Ferrari Daytona with your Marinara, hey, you could!

Best Calamari I've had for a while was from 'The Living Room' in Templestowe. however that was more than a year ago and i thing theres been major changes there now so no more cala on the me an you.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 07:38 AM   #19
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Have to agree, no better steak is served anywhere in the world.

But you asked about Favorite,
I have 2 favorites for Pizza takeaway and both are restaraunts and real italians.

Both on northside of Brisbane.
Nundah on corner of sandgate rd and buckland road called "Cortina" pizzarea but they do the whole italian menu too.

The other place is at Aspley on Gympie rd oppisite the 24hr news agency on the inbound side. its called "antenna Blu"

Unlike the pizza hut or dominos pizza 2 slices of either of these Pizza's from these places I have listed is a complete meal, I mean your stuffed after that. and I am a pretty big bloke.

Word of warning for galric pizza bread lovers:
The aspley one is just right, the one at Nundah ask to go easy on the garlic hes a bit heavy handed.
Old 28-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #20
XAHardtop
Champion Goose

Well I've got 3 faves that I'll share with everyone according to circumstances.

Circa in the city, perfect if you want to considerably lighten your wallet but will "seal the deal" on any date so to speak.

Himalayan Cafe at New Farm is a pretty cool, different type of food. Always scores well with the chicks for the "exotic" factor and the prices are very reasonable.

Brekky Creek Hotel has been recommended by a few other people and it's pretty easy to see why. Good sized/quality meals and good atmosphere make for a great feed. Nuff said.
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 09:32 AM   #21
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Oh and I forgot to mention The Mean Fiddler at Rouse Hill. Granted, I haven't been there since my birthday a few years ago but back then the food was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 05:53 PM   #22
strife

Pinos for Pizza in Crows Nest, Schezwan Gardens Crows Nest and the Flower Drum in Melbourne and Blue Chilly in Fitroy

Vlados and Grill on the Hill, CRs

had some nice prawns and cray at Lobster and Oyster Bar last week in Melbourne bit xe though $120 ea for the cray
strife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #23
StorminaTcup

Default What's your favorite Restaurant and location?

In Melbourne;
Indian - Mehfil, Corrigan rd Keysborough. The best butter chicken around,
Chinese - Golden Pagoda, upstairs opp Hungry Jacks in D'nong. Simple but good value for money.
Pizza - In Cranbourne still hoping! (Jessie's @ Narre Warren Sth is ok)
StorminaTcup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #24
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

whats a resturant?????? i think i forgot what one was as it has been so long. Man the only resturant i see is macdonalds. Me thinks I better get a life. :
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 02:27 PM   #25
BlackLS

Big John's - San Souci - Great Italian restaurant, ALWAYS packed Satday night, so don't expect to go there for a quiet date with your loved one on this night

Pankcakes on the Rocks - The Rocks - Great place in Sydney for breakky, most delicious pancakes!

Chilli's Texas Grill - Leumeah(Campbelltown) - As title says, nice Southern US of A style menu.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #26
EFFalcon
Last warning

why spend money on food, when it can be spent on a car :P
lol.. i'm gunna have to take a list of these places and go there :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 11:30 AM   #27
Amber
Funbus Pilot.

New Wind in Chapel St is to die for!!!!

Its Vietnamese and Thai cuisine

I won't go anywhere else
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #28
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8CHICK
Pizza - In Cranbourne still hoping! (Jessie's @ Narre Warren Sth is ok)
Does Cranny still have Christies Pizza? Or did that close down? They had some good pizza there.

Uh, the last restaurant I went to was some German joint up here (Can't remember the name, can't remember where it is, must've been that German stout I had, tasted like leather). Wasn't impressed.

Yeah, I need to get out more. Although when I went to Alex Surf Club up here, that was some good steak.
Old 30-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #29
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Stetsons Steak house and Saloon in Cessnock
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #30
Chris
AFF.com.au

Bell street maccas has everything a young man/woman could desire,

burnouts, punch-ons, drag racing and happy meals.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post