Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
majdi
CYAL8R

Default Whats better, El fairmont Ghia or El xr6

Hey everyone. im stuck between choosing a EL fairmont ghia or a ELxr6. Ive been leaning more towards the ghia due to it having full options, leather seats and an optional sunroof, but i guess these sort features can come with the xr6.
What your opinion?

Does anyone have any of these for sale for a good price?

Old 28-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

up to you really.

they share the same engine and diff, xr6 can come in manual which is fun (i have an EL XR6 for sale if you are interested).
Old 28-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

This question is so common! ... You will get mixed oppinions, then a fight will start and the thread will end up being locked LOL, but here's my point...

I would say go the GHIA, just because you have all the extra's that come with it (yes you can find optioned XR6's, but you pay so much more, for so much less) ... And if i'm not mistaken, the GHIA comes with the same ECU setup as the XR6?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes it does versace
Old 28-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
majdi
CYAL8R

Do you have a link for me to see ur xr6? r u situated in nsw? im from victoria so it might be a bit hard if its up there lol
Old 28-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's my thought;

If it's I6 Ghia vs I6 XR6 manual then the choice is clear - XR6 all the way and back again.

If it's auto vs auto - tough one, but I'd still go the XR6.

If your looking at a Fairmont Ghia, go the whole hog, do it properly and get one with the V8.

Either way, I think luxo cars a overated. How many times do you fiddle with the extra gadgets before the novelty wears off?
A top drive (XR models) will always be more enjoyable long term in my opinion...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by majdi
Do you have a link for me to see ur xr6? r u situated in nsw? im from victoria so it might be a bit hard if its up there lol
hi mate, for sale thread is here:

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11236370

depends where abouts in vic you are and how serious you are about the car.

I'd be happy to drive to albury for a serious buyer.
Old 28-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Either way, I think luxo cars a overated. How many times do you fiddle with the extra gadgets before the novelty wears off?
A top drive (XR models) will always be more enjoyable long term in my opinion...
I disagree, but thats just me and as I said above everyone will have a different view. But having owned both, it's a hard decision. But sometimes you just don't want to drive a sports car, and my Luxo goes harder then its equivilant in the XR6 Model, also even cains a Stock XR8. Sooo it's hard to say that a sports model is better than the luxo
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 28-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Look on the bright side, you'll likely get a Ghia with all its extra options over an XR6 for less money.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
majdi
CYAL8R

yeh i would love a v8, but im on my p's and its ristrict until i get off them which is next year. I have weighed up the difference between them, and the main difference is the comfortablilty of the fairmont over the xr6
Old 28-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Change the seats?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 28-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

EL Fairmont "Ghia" will have the EL XR6 Motor in it

Buy the EL Fairmont Ghia then later put the EL XR6 front on it

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

^^ Couldn't ov said it better myself ... besides the XR Front :P
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 28-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #14
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
I disagree. Every one of my extras gets used regularly, everything from the cruise control right down to the little things like extra interior lighting and the trip computer. Comfier seats is a bonus too. As others have said, depends if you want manual or auto. If you want manual, get an XR6. If you want auto, get the Ghia. This is actually grinds my gears. If you want luxury, Ford presume you want auto. Hence why I had to make my own combining the best of sports and luxury.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
combining the best of sports and luxury.
Taken out of context, but a damn big call for an EA!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #16
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the pricing is similar, you are happy with auto and leaning towards luxury, the Ghia is the go. It will probably be a bit softer in the suspension, but that can be *fixed*.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

i have an ef fairmont ghia.. I say go the el fairmont ghia because if they are like the ef they have the exact same motor, gearbox and diff as the xr6 and you get the bonus of all the luxury comforts including electric everything. Ghia has nicer interior in my opinion. Xr6 may have the front end but they arent to hard to put on the ghia if you want that look.

I personally would pick the fairmont ghia over the xr6. I find that the xr6s are way overpriced compared to the ghia considering the ghia has more to offer.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #18
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the XR6, and put the trip computer in yourself. If they were both the same price and it was a fairmont ghia I6, you'd be crazy to go that option, in my opinion anyway. EL/EF xr's look hot.

EDIT: Yeah, the front end is easy to put on, but by the time you buy it, get it freighted, paint and fit its gonna be close to $1000.

I cant fathom that you are even debating this, xr6 all the way, especially if its white.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

EL Xr 6 with sunroof > Ghia

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #20
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Taken out of context, but a damn big call for an EA!
Enough out of you :P
out: ing_sm :

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #21
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

guy you may get a little up set with me i have an el futura and iam finding it hard to sell it, what i should of done is buy a el xr6 which i wanted in the first place then i proberly would of been easier to sell plus they hold their value a litte more and i think they could be a collectors item 1 day, but they are only worth what people are going to pay, when i was buying my el i couldnt justify the insurace at that time for a xr6 because of my low wages back then, so i settled for the futura, on the other hand there is nothing wrong with the ghia i like the bling bits on the el fairmont nice options too it up 2, and maybe cheaper insurance? but my advise too you is go any thing you like as long as it had a tickford motor in it and you cant go wrong in that idea

good luck with your buy : :
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #22
items

xr for sure more sporty
Old 30-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #23
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate go with what you feel comfortable with,if you like the ghia buy it,if the xr makes you warm and fuzzy buy it.

its your choice in the end,you'll get what you want to get.
Old 31-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #24
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I would go with the Ghia. If I couldn't find one with Touring suspension I would lower it.

True you miss out on the XR front, but I use the NC's gadget's all the time. My Ghia has more features than my BA XR6 did (apart from some inflating pillows and a little thing called modern styling!!!)

Standard Ghia suspension would annoy me though, so I would factor that into any decision.

XR would have much better resale and looks better.

Clear as mud...

For mine though, Ghia.
Old 31-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #25
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Another opinion, for what it's worth:

if your young the xr6 may be dearer to insure. In my limited experience the XR's are dearer to buy second hand, while the luxury cars just aren't sought after.

If your young your likely to be targetted by the police. My lady friend drives fast. She absolutely loves her white el futura because it's anonomyous. It's lowered 1" with konis all round and drives so sweetly, but looks like a shopping trolley. I ahve incredibly bad luck with speeding tickets but my fairlane again makes me look like a granddad from a distance so they ignore me.

I live in brisbane so wouldn't be without air conditioning, however I think the climate control and trip computer aren't necessary. Velour or leather are huge improvments over the cloth, but otherwise a futura has everything you could want. I use cruise a LOT!

I could be wrong but I thought there was almost nothing in the XR vs std I6 ? about 7 hp or something ? and a red rocker cover

If it were me I'd check prices vs condition and miles. Assuming the fairmont ghia is same or less $ then throw some konis under it and a slippery diff and maybe some brakes that don't wear out every 5 minutes, and 16" factory wheels (insurance again), top tyres and you'll have a comfortable car that's rewarding to drive. And you'll only get noticed as much as you want to.

2c.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #26
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
I disagree, but thats just me and as I said above everyone will have a different view. But having owned both, it's a hard decision. But sometimes you just don't want to drive a sports car, and my Luxo goes harder then its equivilant in the XR6 Model, also even cains a Stock XR8. Sooo it's hard to say that a sports model is better than the luxo
Your stock fairmont I6 beats a XR8? Pull the other one mate. :

On topic... Have owned both the EL Ghia, and currently the EL XR6. Both are reasonably similar IMO. If you plan on modding, I'd assume lowering and exhaust would be on the cards. Suspension and exhaust are the two difference's between ghia and XR (believe XR has an extra 2kw due to its exhaust, might be Cam actually, but anyway) Lower the ghia, get an exhaust, and you have a ghia which will out handle and sound better then an XR6, with all the luxuries.

Then of course if you like the XR look get the lights, bar, bonnet etc and convert to XR spec. Best of both worlds.

With the cost of the Ghia compared to the XR you could probably even convert a Ghia to XR spec externally for the price of a good nick XR, and then still have all the luxuries.

If I had my choice again I'd probably keep my ghia, and chuck an XR front on it. I miss the luxury :togo:
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #27
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
If I had my choice again I'd probably keep my ghia, and chuck an XR front on it. I miss the luxury :togo:
Ha Ha coming from an owner of an AWESOME EL XR6 - exactly what i said in a previous post

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I've owned two EL Ghia's, one an I6, the other a V8. I've also owned two xr6's, but not EL's. I've always tended to lean toward the luxury versions over the sporty models. You tend to get more options at a lower (second hand) price. The EL Ghia's are arguably the best looking Ghia's ever made too, and i'm looking for another one as we speak.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #29
iliov
Banned

I myself have an EF II fairmont ghia auto and an EF XR6 Manual. The Xr6 is a more fun drive because of the manual and sports like handling and I luxurys of the fairmont ghia such as leather and climate control have really grown on me. I would still pick the xr because I am more of a fan of a good driving experience/thrill over luxury. Also my Xr is about 7.4 seconds to 100kmph and my Ghia is about 8.4 to 100. I love the XR cause it always beats the tool's in their commondores who think they are top because they drive a VY. I would pick a manual XR over an auto Ghia.
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #30
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

i would go the ghia as it has the better interior and same engine
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post