Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
jonesyedxr6

Default Toowoomba's a wreck

I work and go to uni and Toowoomba and i have to say that no one predicted anything close to the magnitude of this flood, down town is an absolute mess and the whole place is scattered with debris. Luckily where i was on the industrial side of town we are up pretty high and weren't effected too much but down town i have heard of plenty of mates and their parents losing cars.

Hoping everyone who lives in toowoomba and the surrounding area's have come out OK and their vehicles are not damaged!

Here's something i found of youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FT...layer_embedded
the commentary is appalling

jonesyedxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yeah i came home this evening and saw this on the telly, just devastating. I hope nobody were in any of those cars...

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
jonesyedxr6

Hundreds of cars and buildings are wrecked, mate of mine's mum works at a Herritage bank, reckons they was swamped with hundreds of calls for insurance, declined the lot

carpark
Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Poor bastards. And those people in Gympie and Rockhampton.

Having just come back from Carnarvon in WA which also flooded 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the further the waters travelled, the more damage it did. Is this how it works??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
TheKing
Starter Motor

The floods are truly horrible and i cant help but also wonder about the number of classic cars in sheds that will get wiped out :(
TheKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing
The floods are truly horrible and i cant help but also wonder about the number of classic cars in sheds that will get wiped out :(
Or the four people who were washed away?...
How about we spare a thought for their families

(Other thread already running the bar.. wet xmas for qld)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesyedxr6
Hundreds of cars and buildings are wrecked, mate of mine's mum works at a Herritage bank, reckons they was swamped with hundreds of calls for insurance, declined the lot

carpark
Wow, no words can describe.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
rodderz

There's going to be some real bad news tomorrow when more stories come out, the power of that deluge was unbelievable. My wifes relo's are in Gatton and they said the area is very badly damaged. Roads washed away, cars stuck in drains, houses half gone and people missing.

Drought one year, the opposite the next
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
jonesyedxr6

I'd hate to live in Gatton right now, there was apparently meant to be a 7m was off water heading down to the Gatton/lockyer area from the range late this afternoon, low lying areas of Gatton were being evacuated i thought, range is still closed i believe from landslides
Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Luckily where i was on the industrial side of town we are up pretty high and weren't effected too much but down town i have heard of plenty of mates and their parents losing cars.
Same. Thankfully they built to Wilsonton Industrial Estate on high ground and not in the middle of a gully. Posted this in the QLD Flood thread, but for anyone interested, here's some snaps I took this afternoon of the remains of Toowoomba. As the majority of Toowoomba is high, most of the town was spared from any major flooding. You don't need Facebook to look at these either

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=0464a50588
Old 11-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #11
nstg8a

some reports are saying it went from 7 metres to over ten... scary stuff.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The floods are really bad. Wheres this global warming!!!!!!My condolences to everyone state wide..
Old 11-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #13
rodderz

Scary thing is, there is still nearly 2 months left of high wet season left.

Another cyclone or tropical low will see it happen again to already saturated soil
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #14
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Scary thing is, there is still nearly 2 months left of high wet season
Even scarier is some of the places who usually really cop this early New Year wet season (my parents for example, in North Queensland) have already had 16 inches of rain. For the past 20 or so years, the wet season began just after New Year. They had 15 inches before New Year in 2010, starting in October. If history serves correct, it should be ****ing down up there right now, cutting off roads and flooding the land. It's dry and sunny as I type this. The rain we got in Toowoomba yesterday is what they expect this time of year.

The world is bring turned upside down, then shaken again.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just watched the late news , very scarey stuff, for the people that live in the low lying area`s, they must be tuff as nails, imagine living in an area with a history of floods and knowing your gonna cop it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From a facebook site...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=137554899637838&set=a.1375528929713 72.25517.137549059638422&pid=230534&id=13754905963 8422

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
jonesyedxr6

8 people dead, more than 20 missing as far as i know.

AT the moment where i live about 20minutes towards Warwick from Toowoomba i'm completely stranded from this mornings rain, no one in all the surrounding areas can move - more rain to come.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
8 people dead, more than 20 missing as far as i know.

AT the moment where i live about 20minutes towards Warwick from Toowoomba i'm completely stranded from this mornings rain, no one in all the surrounding areas can move - more rain to come.
take it easy mate, this is just crazy it breaks my heart seeing it on tv :( ive got the week off and could probably take another couple off to come volunteer but i don't know where to start

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I am going onto night shift tonight and with the warnings of flooding due to hit Ipswich and the Brisbane area in the next 24 hrs I suspect my next 2 night shifts are going to busy ones.

Bowhill rd Darra is just outside our station and was closed all yesterday due to flooding. After watching people driving around the blockade (mostly heroes in 4WD's) all day yesterday this flooding that is soon to hit Ipswich and Brisbane is a major worry.

I just ask that all that read this, please do not try to cross flooded roads for any reason. If the road is flooded, find another way or find somewhere to stay the night. Please do not put your life at risk or the lives of your family just for the sake of getting somewhere. Make no mistake, the conditions coming down onto us are dangerous and lives may be lost.

My hope is that all here, their families and friends, stay safe over the next few days/weeks.

To those in Toowoomba, my thoughts are with you and hope you have the strength to come out of this tragedy and see the sun shine again.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
KYSBF

Take it easy out there geckoGT.
Thanks to you and all of your counterparts.

Regards
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

8 dead, and 72 missing ATM. Including unconfirmed reports of 10 children in a day care, noone can ge tin, or out.
Our factory in Morningside is expected to be inundated tomorow with the high tide.
Scary thing for us is, Wivenhoe Dam is 173% full. Its max capacity is 200% before it overflows. Inflows are almost 10 times the amount being released.
Also, our biggest king tides for the year are in the next couple of days.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

A friend that drive trucks is posting on facebook saying that Ipswich is expecting 20m peak...That's phenomenal! Comms towers are out as well?

Anyone confirm?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #23
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Whilst we aren't in Toowoomba, we have taken the warning and working from home today, the boss sent us all home. Our office - on Queen St has an underground carpark which is usually flooded with heavy rain and we are in the low part of the City. So with all these flood warnings in the CBD we are all working from today and tomorrow.

Thoughts go out to anyone in the Toowoomba / Gattan region.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #24
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
A friend that drive trucks is posting on facebook saying that Ipswich is expecting 20m peak...That's phenomenal! Comms towers are out as well?

Anyone confirm?
Yeah, my brother works for Telstra in the comms tower area, and he said this mroning that they have lost a few towers already
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
F6T
Has V8 envy

Anyone know what the situation is with insurance claims for this sort of stuff. I've heard that cover for flood damage is usually an expensive extra that many probably have not taken out.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #26
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
Anyone know what the situation is with insurance claims for this sort of stuff. I've heard that cover for flood damage is usually an expensive extra that many probably have not taken out.

At the moment, lets just survive it first, worry about that after.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
F6T
Has V8 envy

Don't get me wrong. I have immediate family that live in Toowoomba.

I just wonder about the knock on effect of all this devastation. It will be monsterous on so many people, industries and resources.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #28
ch33z1l
Dawn

Another link showing the devastation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpk...ature=youtu.be
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #29
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a journalist friend that works for a local radio station and she has had reports in of upto 40 bodies recovered from the lockyer valley....hope its wrong. This is going to be pretty nervous next 24 hours in the southeast.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #30
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

I was lucky, I work downtown and went home just as it was really starting to rain heavily (had it been a long day for me I would have been trapped down there and I imagine the dub may have been in a different condition altogether when I returned to it). I got home and my backyard was running fairly deep with water and it was lapping at the back door of my garage, within 20 minutes it was pouring through my garage a couple inches deep, my gutters couldn't cope at all and my ceiling was leaking and this was the view from my patio:

A house which is just at the rear of the place on the right corner had waist high water through the entire place. I walked to the park just down the road and was greeted by this:

and this (East creek usually meanders through the park maybe 3 feet wide and a foot or so deep and the main gully is up to about six/seven feet deep):

And this is the waterbird habitat fence... well... it was:

And afterwards to show how high up the water came (was a good 20/25 metres or so across):

I'm just lucky I live where I do as we didn't cop it nearly as bad as the other side of town and the city centre. I'm also thankful that West creek has had some flood upgrades done to it in recent times, like the two massive catchment areas to slow the water before it hits the CBD or it may have been far worse... Tragic to see that so many have lost there lives and I'm sure the body count is on the rise, as it happened so damn quickly. really sobering to see the picture of the car wrapped around the bridge with police tape draped around it in the previous post... and this morning at work the coroners car was busy doing the rounds... It's all just very surreal at the moment as we're on top of a bloody mountain.

ps: forgive crappy phone pics as my camera decided to go flat just at the right moment.
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post