Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 27-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Moimit
Starter Motor

Default Lowering My EL Fairmont

I want to make my car look a little nicer without losing much of the practicality.

Does anyone have pictures of a before and after lowering so i can see the immediate differences?, I would ideally like to drop the back 1" to flatten out the car like the EF is.

Also with new rims and tyres i got a quote for CSA 17" concepts. Does anyone know how much this will effect the ride of general around town driving and also highway/motorway driving?

Moimit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Moimit,

Im going through the same process of about to lower my EF. Im currently leaning towards Kings SuperLows all round (I was looking at the 1" drop and it would be ideal at the front but the back would be sitting up an inch too high still). I will posts pics before and after of my car to give you a comparison. Hopefully I will have it done within the next week.

Going from 15" to 17" you will notice only a slight difference in ride comfort. I prefer it as its still nice and soft for cruising around but hasnt got that slushy tyre roll feeling around corners that the high profile tyres will give you. Make sure you get some decent tyres, alot of people complain about the sp3000s but I havent found much wrong with them. They are alot quieter than the 9000s on our XR8 and seem to be wearing better. I noticed that the steering was slightly heavier in a good way when getting the new tyres as it seemed to track more in a straight line (I prefer a firm on centre feel rather than that floaty wandery feeling).
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
poomba
xc - my other love

king SL's all round, and pedders shortened sports ryders. thats mine and it rides great, really responsive, but still confy...

there is an infinite combo that you can use, all depends on your budget... my set up cost around under 1k... but i paid cost. so it should sit around 1k somewhere.

apparently pretty fast - 400rwkw BF xr6t!

FG F6 bottom end - GTX3582 - Nizpro 4" exhaust - Nizpro cooler - plazmaman intake - piping - plenum - batt relocation - injectors - surge &044 pump - valve work & valve springs - XCAL
poomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

My EL's got Pedders superlows. Had Tickford suspension since new (Detective spec) and while the front dropped another inch, the back barely moved. It's still fairly comfy even with 18s now compared with the 15" ROHs I had on it before. I want it to sit flat and drop the back another inch, but I was warned that would alter the way the weight of the car is tranferred under heavy braking and is potentially too dangerous.
Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

King SL with some decent shocks all round will look decent and still be practical enough to drive just about anywhere. I had that combo in my EL Ghia for over a year and was very happy until I got the urge to throw practicality out the windows and go lower :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post