Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
FPVTurboTaxi

Default Ford assist .. are you kidding

Ok .. i left willowbank night fire drags after a great days watching the drags ,Had a BALL : at 11.30 and just got home at 5AM ..

pulled into the BP at morayfeild for a coffee and on the way in there was this HUGE pothole .. post pix later .. to angry anyway bang i hit it and next minute the tyre goes flat so i pull into the servo to find 5 other cars there with dinted rims and flat tyres .. everyones angry but u get that

i get out the jack undo the wheel nuts and 1 has a fpv lock nut ... i go to the glove box ... no ladapter for the lock nut ... check the boot ... no adapter .. hence ot say ive never had a flat and never looked .. the cars not yet 12 monts old and obviously it wasnt put in ... well u get that .. i wasnt angry i just thought id ring for assist and get some help

i go thru all the crap and tell them .. and they say they havent got an adapter .. ok i can sorta live with that

so i ring them back and say .. can u send the guy out and well jsut tap a socket on there and it will come off and i can drive home . i talk to the guy and he agrees as that will get it off ... its all good then he asks what happened "i hit a pot hole and the tyre went down "

OH SOORRY SIR THATS AN INSURANCE ISSUE AND U WILL HAVE TO CLAIM IT ON URE INSURANCE AND GET THE CAR TOWED

WTF

Refused to help at all , wouldnt even send someoone out ..
all i needed was to change a tyre not fix a front end accident

3 hrs later a merceedes hit the same pot hole and he rung his assist and after he got them on the road lent me a 23 ml socket and the lock nut came straight off
so i finally got home

so basically if ure wife is out driving hits a pot hole and gets a flat dont hold ure breath .. cant wait to ring fpv on monday .. im pretty dissed

hope that made sense pretty tired and off to bed
was i expecting to much ?

For Sale QLD Number Plates 06-XRF $550 PM me
FPVTurboTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Roadside assistance implies to me that if you're stuck on the side of the road, call us and we'll assist.

Had Ford supplied the correct lock nut in the first place, you wouldn't have been in that predicament. I'd be royally ****ed and would be waiting on hold right this very second, waiting for someone to pick up on Monday. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Thats a crap way to end the night...

So if you were the 6th car, what the hell were they waiting for to put up some of those yellow and black striped traffic controllers, or a few witches hats around the hole??

I would be more angry at the BP attendant to be honest.... new there was an obvious problem and did SFA to warn others...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

So if you were the 6th car, what the hell were they waiting for to put up some of those yellow and black striped traffic controllers, or a few witches hats around the hole??

I would be more angry at the BP attendant to be honest.... new there was an obvious problem and did SFA to warn others...

Probably hoping to make a few sales... With Early morning/desperate driver tax

Seriously, I'd be pretty angry.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knew a guy who hit a huge hole that damaged wheels and suspension. He date photo'd the hole and made a claim against Main Roads and they paid. I don't know if this could work for you.

I've found "Ford Roadside Assist" to be a complete waste of time (like most things connected to FPV).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah that's true. The whole thing of it is that it is often far cheaper for councils and the like to pay for damage than to actually pay for the repairs to the road. Tax collecting vermin that they are, I'd suggest all that suffer damages at the behest of poor road conditions do the same.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The roadside assist is just the local motoring clubs job, such as RACV, RACQ etc. Ford just use them to go out to you, so its whoever was called to you that left you on your own.

PS. The locknut was in the centre console of my XR8 when I picked it up. I'm pretty sure its the dealers job to put it in there.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Edit: Never mind.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon

Last edited by pertuan; 06-01-2008 at 11:21 AM.
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

This is why it pays to belong to RACQ or NRMA or RACV...the motor clubs not the insurance arm.
Having said that though...Insurance would cover the buckled rim and towing not the tyre though. This will also usally incur your excess.

The tyre is usally not covered because most policies state that tyres are not covered for road cuts and punctures.

The above is general info, I agree with you Ford Assist should have come to the party since the lock nut was not included in your purchase
Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the difference between running over a nail or a pothole? The end result is a flat tyre and you need assistance to change the wheel to enable you to get home.
You may not even intend to make any insurance claim.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoxr
What's the difference between running over a nail or a pothole? The end result is a flat tyre and you need assistance to change the wheel to enable you to get home.
You may not even intend to make any insurance claim.
Not really, You hit a nail it goes down slowly usually. Hit a big enough pothole and smash/dent the rim. big $$$ difference.

I'd be talking to the dealer 1st thing monday morning..

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, your right Tonko

I would have thought Ford Assist would just make sure you could get home, what you do with insurance after that is up to you.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Yaw

My understanding is ford assist is the respective RAC in each state, just a different phone point into the same offices.

Pathetic if you ask me, they should have assisted, simple as that.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

Yeah one of my mates on his way to work early in the morning a few months ago went into a pothole. Buckled both left rims of his Stato. He told me that he was writing a letter to the council asking for the replacement cost. I laughed and said "Good Luck". They sent him $1990!! They couldn't track down any replacement rims so they gave him $1990 to get a whole new set.
I had all new suspension in my ute less than 12 months ago and my bushings are creaking. maybe i should write a letter to the council demanding new ones because Adelaide roads are so rough! Is it really necessary to have so many inspection covers in the the exact spot where your tires need to be? I'm surprised noone has pulled me over for thinking i was drunk weaving in the lanes trying to avoid the potholes.
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Sorry to here , hope the drags were tops anyway ....
Second day we had our car , the battery died - and try as i may i cannot for the life of me remember why they couldn,t help ???

Long story short , i rang the salesman who sold the car .
He came to my house , agreed it was the battery called RACQ and they replaced it and bugs me i cant remember why the assist program couldn,t help me ?!!
Has it finally expired ?

I have now had my car for 2 years and 1 month and i cannot remember the period we were covered from ?
Is it 2 years/3 years - 100 000 kms ??? Cheers .... I,ll just join RACQ if it has..... Not that this car should EVER break down :
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #16
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHUTE6
Is it really necessary to have so many inspection covers in the the exact spot where your tires need to be? I'm surprised noone has pulled me over for thinking i was drunk weaving in the lanes trying to avoid the potholes.
Like Marion Road - Manhole Road. Apparently they were all originally placed in decent spots, but with re-construction and or widening of the roads, the manholes have ended up in exactly in line of where most position their car on the road. So I heard.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

Firstly it would depend where exactly the 'pot hole' is. If it is within the driveway or forecourt then yes it needed to be reported to someone in BP.
Was it reported to anyone inside especially its location? I know we are fairly quick to react when there is something like this so it seems to me that it may not have been reported, or not reported correctly.
Sadly when there is something that needs attending the big issue is safety not only for other road users (to avoid damage) but to staff members applying some sort of barrier, so it isn't a case of run out there and cover it.

Depending on where exactly the hole is would depend if the road workers would have had to be called in to fix it or if BP had to organise it. Being a Saturday night that can take a little time.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

perhaps a class action might move the council off its behind to fix the pot hole , the roads around our area suk too.
costly as well as dangerouse.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #19
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVTurboTaxi
Ok .. i left willowbank night fire drags after a great days watching the drags ,Had a BALL : at 11.30 and just got home at 5AM ..

pulled into the BP at morayfeild for a coffee and on the way in there was this HUGE pothole .. post pix later .. to angry anyway bang i hit it and next minute the tyre goes flat so i pull into the servo to find 5 other cars there with dinted rims and flat tyres .. everyones angry but u get that

i get out the jack undo the wheel nuts and 1 has a fpv lock nut ... i go to the glove box ... no ladapter for the lock nut ... check the boot ... no adapter .. hence ot say ive never had a flat and never looked .. the cars not yet 12 monts old and obviously it wasnt put in ... well u get that .. i wasnt angry i just thought id ring for assist and get some help

i go thru all the crap and tell them .. and they say they havent got an adapter .. ok i can sorta live with that

so i ring them back and say .. can u send the guy out and well jsut tap a socket on there and it will come off and i can drive home . i talk to the guy and he agrees as that will get it off ... its all good then he asks what happened "i hit a pot hole and the tyre went down "

OH SOORRY SIR THATS AN INSURANCE ISSUE AND U WILL HAVE TO CLAIM IT ON URE INSURANCE AND GET THE CAR TOWED

WTF

3 hrs later a merceedes hit the same pot hole and he rung his assist and after he got them on the road lent me a 23 ml socket and the lock nut came straight off
so i finally got home

so basically if ure wife is out driving hits a pot hole and gets a flat dont hold ure breath .. cant wait to ring fpv on monday .. im pretty dissed

If you dont have photo's then get them and supply them to your insurance company , you have a case against the council and possibly main riads over the damage incurred .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #20
FPVTurboTaxi

yeah got photos .. got everyone email addresses and i dont feel there will be to many issues gettign anything done to fix the car

my issue is with racq/ ford assist . i really can believe they would leave someone stranded on the side of the road .it was really discracefull

on a side note the rear tyre is also now flat so i would say its split with a slow leak .

2 fpv rims and tyres prob arnt cheap

Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #21
irsa76
Snoopping

I wonder which mob Ford/FPV use for their road side assist program, NOT the actual road crews but the mob who sends the service vans.
I used to do it for VW assist from the dealer I worked for. Part of the kit we had to carry was the master locknut kit for VW/Audi passenger cars. Naturally we didn't have the fool kit, it had about 100+ keys and was worth AUD$1000, but we did have a few spare lockbolts incase we had to destroy the ones on the car to remove them. We also had to attend any situation where the car had an issue. Even some thing as simple as getting stuck on a kerb! That's the sort of service I would expect from FPV.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsa76
I wonder which mob Ford/FPV use for their road side assist program, NOT the actual road crews but the mob who sends the service vans.
I used to do it for VW assist from the dealer I worked for. Part of the kit we had to carry was the master locknut kit for VW/Audi passenger cars. Naturally we didn't have the fool kit, it had about 100+ keys and was worth AUD$1000, but we did have a few spare lockbolts incase we had to destroy the ones on the car to remove them. We also had to attend any situation where the car had an issue. Even some thing as simple as getting stuck on a kerb! That's the sort of service I would expect from FPV.
When i had a flat battery on My XR6T it was the RACV who turned up when i rang ford assist. They were there in about 5 minutes :
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #23
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

which BP were you talking about mate??
the ones on the highway or the ones in morayfield it self(on morayfield road near the Mitsubishi dealer??)
as i was driving along morayfield road this evening and saw a HUGE pothole on the bridge next to the skate park just before the roundabout heading east toward the highway
it was down to the concrete of the bridge construction not just a few layers of tar/gravel!! about a foot accross too

good luck with the money for tyre and rims
Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #24
FPVTurboTaxi

It was the one on the highway , northbound . was talking to one of the others that blew tyres , a total of 18 cars lost rims and tyres last night
btw we rang police and asked to get warning signs errected .. no one turned up in the 4 hours i was there

Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
FPVTurboTaxi

well i rung ford care this morning .. got a ref number abd they are chasing it up

Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #26
FPVTurboTaxi

just heard back from ford car

ford assist operated withing the boundries set aside within the contract

i spelt out to them
- ford did not supply a lock nut adapter to remove the lock nut
- i had a flat tyre that i could not change due to not having a adaptor that should be supplied with the car

they were happy that they had responsibilty to send out anyone to help

Does anyone know any thing i can do ather than ringing ford assist

Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #27
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

WTF

so i finally got home

i don't know about Ford assist or whatever it's called. but with motoring clubs, you pay a small amount each year for "BREAKDOWN ASSISTANCE" and if you read the terms and conditions you'll find that "IMPACT DAMAGE" is NOT covered.

impact damage is covered by your insurance company. so why would the club go out to an insurance event?

the person in the mercedes simply didn't tell the club that they had hit a pothole. they probably just said they got a flat. so they send the patrol out. now, the patrol could have easily refused to work on the vehicle if he noticed that there was impact damage to the wheel/tyre.

it's like hitting another car. the free towing that the club usually gives you does not cover smash tows. the insurance company covers that.

it's all very simple really. hitting something and causing damage to the vehicle is not the same thing as the vehicle cutting out or not starting on you.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #28
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
just heard back from ford car

ford assist operated withing the boundries set aside within the contract

i spelt out to them
- ford did not supply a lock nut adapter to remove the lock nut
- i had a flat tyre that i could not change due to not having a adaptor that should be supplied with the car

they were happy that they had responsibilty to send out anyone to help

Does anyone know any thing i can do ather than ringing ford assist
yes, contact the dealer that you bought the vehicle from and explain all that to them.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #29
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

my issue is with racq/ ford assist . i really can believe they would leave someone stranded on the side of the road .it was really discracefull
sorry about the triple post. time ran out before i could edit my previous post.

i honestly don't think that the club or ford assist would have left you stranded. i'm sure they would have offered a tow truck to come and pick up the vehicle and tow it to a holding yard. your insurance company would have picked up the tab for the tow and you'd be on your way to get your car back with 2 new rims.

my guess is that you probably refused to have the vehicle put on a tow truck and that's up to you. if so, you've chosen the long way to go about things because now you have to collect evidence of everything that has happened and hope that your insurance company will cover it. since the vehicle has been moving all over the place, they may well refuse to cover it.

it would have been a lot easier to just get a tow truck out there and let the insurance company do what they're supposed to do.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
it would have been a lot easier to just get a tow truck out there and let the insurance company do what they're supposed to do.
I think this is where it gets sticky.

It's Ford Assists job to help you if broken down, and it looks like their sticking to the exact contract here.

It's the Insurance companies job to help if it needs towing through a crash (pothole, tree, big dog...whatever)

However I dont think it's Ford Assist's -or the NRMA/RACQ- job to organise towing and then liaise with your insurance company to get it fixed.

However I do know that AAMI will help with mech breakdowns if your more than 100k's from home..

Maybe FA should use AAMI's policy statement as a guide?