Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
Plunkett
never enough power

Default Getting more air into an EA

It's time to start planning out the next upgrade to the EA, Cold Air Induction. Currently running standard air box with a K&N Filter with modified straighter snorkel. I have been scratching my head for a while trying to find good placement for a pod filter but can't find enough direct air to do it justice.

After taking a look at Noosacuda's wicked looking ED XR8 I have decided that a shaker would be a fantastic way to go as it would not only improve the air flow but provide a significant aesthetic upgrade to the very stock looking EA. As pointed out in the "Vegabass's XR6 with shaker" thread (also a fantastic looking machine), the existing EB manifold has the throttle body sticking out the front of the engine not out the top (Why ford, WHY?). leaving me with a couple of options.

I could either run piping from the shaker to the existing air box (such as Noosacuda had to do with his Windsor T/B) or I could go even further and upgrade to an EL manifold and run it direct into the T/B (such as Vegabass). Keeping the existing manifold would mean the air is travelling though a hell of allot of pipe, twisting and turning, creating more and more back pressure and taking away from performance. As I like making things hard for my self I think I will swap over the manifold and make a nice little project out of it.

I know you can bolt on the manifold, but I don't know what sort of effect this will have with the ECU and unichip? I have heard that I might need to upgrade to an EL XR6 computer but I don't know if this is simply a suggestion or if it is a necessity . If I do need to upgrade the ECU then how do I get around the smartlock issue?

Can anyone else think of any other problems that I have overlooked, or any suggestions of better ways to achieve a similar result?

Old 04-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

something like i have interest you???

Old 04-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Plunkett
never enough power

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
something like i have interest you???

Definitely looks the part and would be allot less stuffing around. I guess the question is how much more air do I really need.

There is still going to be a pressure drop with the shape of the air box and the 90 degree bend in the pipe when it gets to the T/B. Was there much change in the response time from standard box?

How much would something like that set you back?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Although I have BBM now, I had this same setup on the EA intake, I just blocked off the back hole and put my pod inside.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
Plunkett
never enough power

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
Although I have BBM now, I had this same setup on the EA intake, I just blocked off the back hole and put my pod inside.
I did play around with the idea a little while ago but with the location of the T/B and the angles of the piping and air box in and out holes it just seems like any gain from the pod filter would be lost before the air gets to the manifold.

When you but that manifold in did you have to do any thing with the computer or wiring?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plunkett. Put nitrous on it.

Or maybe cut a hole in the guard on the throttle body side and put a pod in it so it sits out of the engine bay. I can make up the piping for ya. I will be going this with the new ea.

But I would just put nitrous on it. There isn't a lot to be gained with what you want to do. There will be bugger all difference no matter what you do with the intake.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EB/ED's have a smaller pipe from the airbox to the throttle body. EA's have the better piping. I had already fitted the EA pipe, and XH air intake. It flowed reasonably well i believe.

This did give a bit more up top, and a difference throughout mid range. On the dyno there was a 2 RWHP increase.

(On a side note, peak power isnt everything. Sylox's AU XR8 gains 5 RWKW with a chip, but his mid range is completely different with and without a chip.)

The cost of the top of the airbox is $280, and it also includes a piece of silicon pipe for EB/ED's to remove the restriction from the airbox tubing.

A1 Exhausts @ Caboolture, Qld have designed the lid, and are the only people who sell it.

One of the staff there tried it on his standard EB Auto. I believe it makes more of a difference with Autos than Manuals. It picked up a fair amount of mid range torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunkett
Definitely looks the part and would be allot less stuffing around. I guess the question is how much more air do I really need.

There is still going to be a pressure drop with the shape of the air box and the 90 degree bend in the pipe when it gets to the T/B. Was there much change in the response time from standard box?

How much would something like that set you back?