Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Demo Kilometers....

When would you NOT accept a car as a new car?

ie. what is the limit of km's that it has, that you would class it as a demo.

100km's?

50km's?

????

Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally id say anything over 100km. why?
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

150 is usually the limit, after that they sell them as registered demos.

My territory had 103 on it when i test drove it.. Didnt worry me as i paid what most pay for a TS and got a Ghia...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Yeah I thought so.

A mate at work is trying to buy a new Holden Captiva, and it has 138 kms on it. And his wife is telling him that she doesn't want a demo. Dealer says anything less than 200km is not a demo.

I agree, and 138 is nothing. Just wanted to see other people's thoughts on this.

And LST, seeing as you are in the industry mate, I knew that I'd get some real answers on here.

Thanks
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I suppose the way I see it if 200km is going to ruin the car, perhaps you need to reconsider what your buying.

If it was a GT or something that I was not going to use much the maybe I'd care but otherwise no drama.
Old 31-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Yeah I thought so.

A mate at work is trying to buy a new Holden Captiva, and it has 138 kms on it. And his wife is telling him that she doesn't want a demo. Dealer says anything less than 200km is not a demo.

I agree, and 138 is nothing. Just wanted to see other people's thoughts on this.

And LST, seeing as you are in the industry mate, I knew that I'd get some real answers on here.

Thanks
Sounds as though someone stuffed up .... Holden dealers are able to reset the speedo (via Tech 2) - provided a distance of 100 kilometres hasn't been exceeded.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno about the rest of you guys but I would not be happy with a "new" car that had 200 k's on it.
It's not the number of k's as 200 k is really nothing, it's that you don't know how those 200 k's were done. If they were done by someone testing the standing 400m on the car then that's one car I would not like to own.
Not having a history of how those first k's were put on the car is my main objection, and I would have to assume that if a so called new car had that many k's then they would not be kind and gentle driving. So much for running in.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Dunno about the rest of you guys but I would not be happy with a "new" car that had 200 k's on it.
It's not the number of k's as 200 k is really nothing, it's that you don't know how those 200 k's were done. If they were done by someone testing the standing 400m on the car then that's one car I would not like to own.
Not having a history of how those first k's were put on the car is my main objection, and I would have to assume that if a so called new car had that many k's then they would not be kind and gentle driving. So much for running in.
I'd be fine with it because to go from 260,000 kms to 200 kms would be a big improvement for me!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Turboconvert

i agree with what has been said on here. If I was buying a new car, anything less then 200kms is no big thing. considering the average private car travels 15 000 a yr, 200ks on a new car is nothing

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I agree with the wife. I wouldn't take a "new" car with that many KMs on it.
Demand another one, you're paying for a new one.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
fudge1979

was thinking the same thing with my ute, but neva asked the question.

I got mine with 52kms on the clock on the weekend

My Past Love
1990 EA 30th Ann. Falcon Wagon. Rosewood, EL XR6 Tear Shaped Air Vents, 5spd Manual, CFI with K & N Round Element, Pacemaker Extractors, Sony head unit, EF Radiator and EF Thermo Fans.

My Current Love
2007 BFMkII Falcon XR6 Cab Chassis Ute. Ego, 18inch XR8 Wheels, Custom Tray.

My Photo Website http://www.flickr.com/photos/fudge1979pics/V8supercars Eastern Creek 2008
fudge1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

They may not exceed 500k before a RWC must be produced on sale, and they are sold as Demo or used.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Most of the dealers except no more than 100ks max from the factory, from the factory to the trucks they normally have 30 to 50 ks.. maybe 10 to 20 Ks for the dealers to run around in and maybe another 20 or so for out sourced work . window tint, detail ext.. Demos as such are usually registered for the purpose of test driving and on the off chance a demo is not avallable as a last resort A trade plate would be used for a demo run ..

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Mentone Subaru tried to sell me their 'demo' Liberty with 500kms on the clock, for around 400 bucks less than a spanking new one.

Naturally I bought a spanking new one...
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
Mentone Subaru tried to sell me their 'demo' Liberty with 500kms on the clock, for around 400 bucks less than a spanking new one.

Naturally I bought a spanking new one...
Your first 500kms were expensive!
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Yes but in saying that even 10 kays of thrashing could be just as bad (i seen a brand new car today out on a test drive getting it nuts flogged off). At the end of the day unless your getting a substaintual discount i always rather take a new one from the holidng yard with less then 40 kms on it. You also have to remember that the factories do drive new cars occasionally to test quality levels. Ford Tests cars on a regular basis and puts a sticker on the window notifying the dealer that the car has been tested for so many kays.. I seen a brand new SR from Ford one day with 60 on the clock.. Once the dealer does the pre deliver drive your looking at 70 - 80, thats before any ones walked in and test driven it. Then you have accessories, which may mean another 40 - 50 kms depending on where the car has to go, especially utes with trays etc. The BA XR6 i bought back in 04 had 7 kms on it when i picked it up, i thought that was pretty good!

Someone raised a point that you can reset the ODO providing the car has done less then 100 kms... Armstrong Holden in Brisbane got shut down in 04 thru doing this, a bloke bought an S pack ute, went and test drove it, it had about 40 kays on it when he test drove it. When he went to pick it up it only had 2 kms on it.. Armstrongs lost their dealer licence over it even tho they were only trying to satisfy the customers wants with a new car, that is one with low low kms on the clock.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We asked for a new one fresh from the factory.

Few week wait but it was worth it.

The ones on the yard that were "new" were filthy.
Old 31-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #18
buickman
buickman

I would expect no more than 50 KMs for a new car have bought 2 new ones and both were under 50 Kms. But dealer and transporting damage can happen to new cars as well.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #19
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most buyers definition of a "new" car is a car that has had a brief test around the factory's track for a quick shakedown, driven from the factory yard onto a truck, from the truck to the dealer yard and a brief check by the dealer. Any more than 50 kms would warrant a please explain and an expectation of a discount. I personally would not be happy paying full price for a new car to find out the dealer has taken a number of clients out for a few kms each. That car is secured by deposit and will be fully paid for by the buyer and is the buyer's property, so the dealer in most cases would not have permission (if they were to ask) to use someone's property for demo runs.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #20
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I think people here are confusing new stock and dealer demos.
New is just that, new car. These wont have more than 50 klms on the clock 99% of the time, and if there isnt a demo around and the salesperson considers the buyer as genuine, or a good prospect then he/she can get the trade plate and take a new stock vehicle for a test drive.

Dealer demos are cars specifically road registered for test driving and demonstration purposes, they do cop a bit of hard use more often than not, and the dealer should sell these for less than retail.

EG....For Ford, on a GT, after 1 month FPV gives a 3k rebate on dealer demos.

Mine had 140 on the clock when I picked it up 40 of those were by me the first time I test drove it. So if you take out delivery klms (approx 25), pre delivery inspection klms (2), roadworthy or test drive klms prior to sale (5) and detailing klms (1) etc etc. Thats another 33 give or take, so possibly 70 to 80klms were done under my control and under the new car klms etc, so maybe mine had 50klms max of test driving, maybe 4 or 5 wannabee pilots at the most.
I gave it a bit of curry, but certainly wasnt stupid in it. I am one of the minority though who respects other peoples property until it becomes mine and dont go silly in someone elses 75k car.

I bought it as a Demonstrator and got it for over 10k off retail. Mine had to have roadworthy done etc, and I am the log books first owner and I get all the FPV goodies still. For mine, being a GT-P, the salespeople wont just let anyone drive these, you do have to convince them you are a serious contender to buy.

A GT I wanted to buy but missed out on had 1500klms on it, was registered as a Dealer Demo etc, the mongrel didnt pass on all of the rebates though and sold it for 56k plus onroads, so someone got touched on that deal.

I would have no hesitation in buying a Demo car, the savings are well worth it if you get a decent dealer who passes them on, and if you get a car with less than a few hundred klms on it, I doubt there would be any permanant damage inflicted on the car anyway.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #21
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

My sister's new Corolla had like 15 km on the clock when she bought it... I would be kind of annoyed with anything more than 50 km to be honest.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #22
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

up here in Brisbane on Kessles rd Mt Gravatt, was visiting a home furniture store and next to it is the toyota holding yard for new cars that go into oldmac toyota thats on logan rd. Anyways, brand new aurions and camrys were being taken off the truck, some still had that white tape on the hub caps and certain panels.
The guys driving them once off the truck were putting the cars in Neutral high revving it and slammed them into D, the slamming noise and screeching was unreal. Should have filmed it with my fone. But i wonder how many k's those cars have done...maybe 20-30 max. poor effort by them i say.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #23
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry mispost
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The only brand new car I've bought was an 89 KE Laser. It came with 23 km's on the clock.

The only brand new motorbike I've bought was a 2001 Honda VFR800FI. It came with 0.4km's on the clock!

I wouldn't want more than 50 on the clock when I picked it up, but that's me.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #25
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
When would you NOT accept a car as a new car?

ie. what is the limit of km's that it has, that you would class it as a demo.

100km's?

50km's?

????
I think it comes down to a couple things.

1/ If you pay full price for a car, IMO it must be brand new. To me that would be 10-15km.

2/ Alot of dealers would discount the car on the floor to move it, so you would know the car your taking delivery of and what you paid. But once sold, this car should be removed from the showroom floor.

In the past nine months I have taken posession of 3 new Aurions, all where delivered by the dealer and had between 10-15km on the clock. (dealer is around 5 km away). That to me is new!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #26
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

My purchasing experience is that My AUIII XR6 had 174 k's when I picked it up. I test drove it from 60, and nobody else drove it after my first drive.

From my dealership days, at Volvo and Proton dealership in Townsville, the Protons would come with anything from .3 to 8 klms. I would add about 20 during Pre Delivery. We used to aim to sell a new car with less than 30k, so picked and chose when someone wanted to drive one.
The Vulva's came with between 20 and 30, and Volvo made you register them at 50, so they never got to 50. The Sales Manager, the Workshop Manager (lucky me), an a Salesman (rotated between the 2 of them) got a registered Demo, but they were moved at 1500k.
Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #27
Nappa
Impressive...

kms all depend on what car you buy, if you purchase a car that is on the floor or in the yard there's a chance that it may already have been on a few test drives. a fresh car out of the factory may have under 10kms on it. However some motor companies will select a random car at the factory to conduct some quality control testing.

I've delivered plenty of cars that have done over 100kms due to that car being used for about 4 test drives. In most cases the customer is getting a substantial discount to purchase a car that is in stock.

Also if the dealer you purchase from swaps in the car they dont know how many k's its done. when i picked up my car it had done 110kms, it didnt really bother me.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #28
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I think if I was buying it brand new I would not expect any more than 50 KM on the clock, If I was buying a car that was already at the yard, I would class that as a demo, regardless of KM and I would expect a decent discount.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #29
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats the bet that with all these people that want under 50kms, if something goes wrong soon after delivery, they will crack it that it wasn't test driven to make sure its perfect?

Id be happy with anything upto 3-400kms

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #30
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
I'd be fine with it because to go from 260,000 kms to 200 kms would be a big improvement for me!
dezza,have you not seen the movie "ferris bueller's day off"
: