Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Default Whats under the ute liner.

Hey guys and gals,
I'm looking at some different things for the hardlid on the ute, question is , what is under the liner on the top of the tub (where the hardlid sits on), is it painted and is it a solid piece all the way?

Pics. would be great too.

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
I'm looking at some different things for the hardlid on the ute, question is , what is under the liner on the top of the tub (where the hardlid sits on), is it painted and is it a solid piece all the way?
Are you talking about the tub liner? Or the Lid?

The tub liner is thick ABS plastic. They're all black.

The lids are made from fibreglass. Painted on the outside and lined with a dark grey coloured marine-style carpet on the inside.

Both parts are made by this mob:

http://www.ftp.com.au/content/hm_prp.html

There's a pic there.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i could get some pics but mine is jammed in the corner of the shop at moment :(
It is painted only about 1 inch past the ute liner(basically its a usable area till it goes into the tub area itself)if no one else has pics ill try get mine out from the corner tonight and take a couple for ya as its hard to explain.
JefXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
Are you talking about the tub liner? Or the Lid?

The tub liner is thick ABS plastic. They're all black.
Neither, I'm after the actual tub on the ute and what's beneath that.
Thanks for the info, very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefXR8
i could get some pics but mine is jammed in the corner of the shop at moment
It is painted only about 1 inch past the ute liner(basically its a usable area till it goes into the tub area itself)if no one else has pics ill try get mine out from the corner tonight and take a couple for ya as its hard to explain.
Thanks mate, that's roughly what I'm after.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
1600GT

hey mick, i gather u already know that the tub isnt a full steel tub like all the utes before the AU??
the AU only has a steel floor and a few straps only each side to tie the floor to the tray's top edge. the tub 'liner' is the actual tub in them.
a quick look under the guards will show what i mean.
cheers mate!
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

hrrmm...wish you put this up 2 days ago i had mine out...would have got pics for you.
There are 2 steel pieces te act as the "head" board underneath the plastic liner they are painted (but not cleared) and are ~2mm thick The origional factory hardcovers drilled straight into the top head board and my morotcycle tie downs tap into the bottom headboard.
The reast of the way around is a lip the stops ~20mm down the liner with a steel floor pan and bracing at intervals along the walls. your tail gate is very much like the door trim...lots of holes, but a supporting frame. The tub is what ford considers a "secondary" spray area, so it gets all the over spray and an undercoat but no clear.
Around the "tyre well" is just bracketry/support for the liner. as a side note all the pieces that make up the frame of the tub can be baught brand new and undercoated pretty cheap form ford. Also when took the liner out of mine the first time i removed 20KG of dirt and dust.

anything else you want to know just ask mate.
ORbit.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let me know if these help or you need some diff ones.
JefXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Thanks guys, that's why I love these forums, Orbit your advice has been great (as usual) and JefXR8, having those pics made it heaps clearer and you to 1600 gt, you're just tops.

Mick

Old 12-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

if your looking at taking out the liner just remember there is a bit of sickaflex under the middle...(just pull hard) also there is a piece of foam in the middle of the "headboard" and if you don't put it back in when you put the tub back in the plastic will vibrate on the metal and ANNOY THE LIVING **** OUT OF YOU!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
crusher
Dirty ute club member

I didnt have any of that stuff orbit. But it does explain why its rattling even more now that ive taken it out once. Doesnt vibrate too bad except over big bumps and corrogation. And if I have the subs cranked haha

But yeah the top of the tub is painted. Well at least mine was. Seems all utes have slightly different charactoristics.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post