Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Default Ah! Why isn't it better

Ok well up to about a month ago I was having a good run with my car. Alais the law of averages has finally caught up :

As some might nkow ive been having issues with my car blowing smoke really badly for about 1-2 minutes on start up.

EVERYONE has told me to replace the valve stem seals, so last night we did. But guess what, even after a good hour drive it id it again the next morning.

Im at a loss as to why its happening. Can anyone else come up with a reason why my car will blow smoke at start up only? It usually last for 1-2 mins (give or take 1 minute depending on its mood).

What should I be looking at now?

Oh and spark plugs that we put in 2 nights ago (with a grand total of 1.5 hours driving on them) are dirty already. The tips are good but around the "fat" bit they are black already.

My exhaust is REALLY black, maybe its just running rich for some reason? But the smoke is more blue than black. Car still runs as strong as ever.

Help.................

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

leaking injectors,,leaking excess fuel over night,,it will take a few minutes to clean it all out.
or over fueling due to a fault in the fuel system.
naughtyfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
BuuBox

Are you sure it's blue? Maybe your rings are ****ed then?

I'd try the injectors first.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I personally dont think its really fuel related. I now and then do get a fuel smell in the cabin...but this is not running rich smoke IMO; nothing like a SBR supercar puff. Its a thicker smoke.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
Damo
Banned

I have the same problem with my EB, mine blows white/grey smoke when cold. Did you replace the valve stem seals yourself ? if so, was it a hard job to do ?
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Too much fuel would give out black smoke

Burning oil will give out blue smoke
Coolant will give white smoke

What color is the smoke?
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

my eb the Au engine, does the same.. when its cold it is nasty the amount of fuel smoke it blows out... I even tried running loads less fuel pressure to see if that helped it still done it.. UI think my ECU has had a spastic.. i just selt it warm up and its fine..
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 01:11 AM   #8
EBII4.L

well from what i know its from the head of course but something abt rings cracked oil leaks through and ends out of exhaust. i seriously forgotten i wasnt payin any attention i hope this helps, dont worry mine did happened aswell but not any more i use some additive and no more blue smoke.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Polyal, If it is blue smoke it could be rings. They will allow some oil to pass until the engine warms and expands the rings. Maybe a Compression test is in order? and a check with an engine analyser?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 10:04 AM   #10
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

yeah someone else said to check the compression....

Ive got a video of me taking off, ill put it up tonight. Its a blueish smoke. Im 99.9% sure its not water/coolent.

Damo - valve stem seals are easy once you have the right tools. You need a spring compresser, then you just take the little "chocks" off the top, slip the spring off and pop the seals up, then switch over.

I thought it would be hard, but once you find out how to do it its not that bad.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
Voxace
Now with T5

Once every couple of months mine has a hissy fit and literally covers the street with clouds and clouds of smoke, and then every day for the next couple of months not a bit of smoke. WTF!!!
Last time it did it was the morning after a long trip. A grey/white sorta cloud of smoke.
Voxace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #12
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

yeap thats what mine does...but every morning...inspector gadget style!

Basically if the car sits for more than say 4 hours then it will smoke. Tomorrow morning ive got a guy who can to a check (for error codes) for me.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane