Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default A little urgent help please bbm?

Guys I decided at 5pm to remove my cylinder head.Everything is off but the broad band manifold,rockers and head bolts.
What is the best way to remove the broad band manifold? Any and all input will be appreciated.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rachet spanner,or 1/4 rachet with extension bars and busted nuckles
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10mm dwarf spanner!
Old 17-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
AUTickford
XD197

Can you leave it on until the heads off then it will be piece of **** to remove
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get yourself a 10mm ratcheting ring spanner, it's all you need to undo the manifold from the head before removing the head. You can leave the manifonld sitting in place after unbolting it from the head, no need to remove from engine bay.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will a ratcheting ring spanner fit in there? I doubt it, a normal ring spanner barely fits.

I use a ring spanner and a lot of patience.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Just those back bolts seem to be difficult. The first 3 intake runners are accessible by hand from the front. I want to leave the manifold there in the engine bay.Even though it looks difficult there alot more work to remove it with the head. The back injctor wiring loom is obstructing access to those last bolts ..keep the ideas coming.How would I access those rear manifold bolts? Or is it a case of just keeping at it?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 17-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can you get to them from underneath?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Oh nice bastar I am.... thanks so far gentlemen..if you have more suggestions please do..

Old 17-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
Will a ratcheting ring spanner fit in there? I doubt it, a normal ring spanner barely fits.

I use a ring spanner and a lot of patience.
They sure do, have done it many times. I used to use a 1/4 short ratchet with socket but ratcheting ring makes it really easy.

Quote by bodes-sh
can you get to them from underneath?
Yes.
Old 17-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Oh nice bastar I am.... thanks so far gentlemen..if you have more suggestions please do..
You can twist the injector to give more clearance.
Old 17-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just had a look and it would appear that you can reach around behind the manifold, ie at the firewall (depending on the size of your hands, lol) to get to the last bolt at least, the bottom one on number 6, the bottom one on number 5 seems to be easiest from straight on top
Old 18-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Stav
Smile

Thanks guys.I woke up at 630 ,had breakfast nd out I went. I undid the bbm with a mini socket wrench and 10mm socket and 10mm spanner.The rockers are off the cam tensioner is out,cam cable tied and the guide head bolt at front is semi undone. I am at the head bolts now. They wont budge!!

I know they are 14 mm socket but I am going to supacheap to get some ratchet spanners, aset of impact sockets,various length extension bars. Is is 8:49 I am going well!! Its hot alreaady though but waer is close at hand. Im gonna jump in the car and get some tools.Damm head bolts!!

Old 18-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #14
Stav
Smile

At this stage the head bolts are all that are left.However they are not budging. In the next 30 minutes I am going to decide to just put it bak together again.The bolts seem like 14 mm bolts. The 3 14mm sockets all have a little play in them ..The imperial bolt has paly as well.I cannot remove any of the bolts.One has gotten slightly rounded.I am going back out to reassmble everything and leave it as is. This is the first head I cannot remove..

Old 18-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Don't give up Stav those bolts will come out.

Check the head size on your new head bolts carefully. You do have some new ones don't you? You will need new ones as they need to be replaced!

Big hammer downwards hit to the head of the bolt without deforming it will help release the tension in the bolt and then it's big bar and carefully applied brute force.

Don't snap them off though!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its realy a 2 man job to get these buggers undone i've done it twice on mine now.see if one of the forum members can come give you a hand .you need one guy to keep the socket on the head bolt square while the other swings off the breaker bar and busts a whoofer valve.
i found a 14mm imact socket worked the best.

don't give up your nearly there
Old 18-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Well I did persist for 25 minutes.I wish they would come off but they did not. The car is back to normal again.It feels quicker ironically.Alot more solid quieter and its goit me stuffed why? Maybe it liked the new gaskets? I dont know? One thing for sure though..the standard heads ports are much smaller!!! I dont feel mad funnily enough..I feel good. Jon Bays I have the new bolts ready,I had everything perfect .I even learnt about the tensioner full on and installed that 100% I have not done what I set out to do but I am still proud that I gave it a go. I need the car for work tommorow and it is ready. At least I can go to work. Its not like I catch the train ,bus or ferry to work so I will definately get someone to do this.

It is very odd though that its much quieter and feels faster? Midrange is punchier?I dont know what has happened but it is noticeably quicker with the same old parts on it.

I still want the head on but I am getting someone to do it for me.It was a bugger with those head bolts...no socket fitted 100% tight on them and I went and bought a stanley set as well which did not work.
I have done aroud 4 e series heads before with ease but this au head just would not budge.

Thanks any way everybody.Your advice and well wishes showed me the power of ford lovers!! Thanks again!
If I had no work on tommorow I would hae left it and got someone to remove them.

Last edited by Stav; 18-02-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 18-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

I can only assume that someone someday may do a search and use this thread so as fr as the bbm bolts go you can get the first 3 -4 bottom bolts from underneath.You need a 10mm spanner,1/4 inchsocket set with 10mm socket,ratchet spanner 10mm helps some to. Most of these are accessed from underneath.The last 2 bottom bolts are accessed from the rear firewall.

Old 18-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Well Stav maybe the bolts are trying to tell you some thing, i'm working fine so leave me alone :

Well that good to hear you got it back togetter & it run better. Do you clean any up while you had it apart. Maybe you put it back togetter better than before. :
Old 18-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

Maybe it did go together better ? Well I have made a decision to give it another crack The difference next time will be that I will be using an angle grinder to shear the bolts.This way the head should come off and the bolts undone wit multigrips.

I think the seat of my pants boost is just everything settling down to be quite honest

Brett I can smell a better et with this worked head.I think today is my preparation for the real thing..lol never say never!!!

Last edited by Stav; 18-02-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 18-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #21
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Gees Stav your persisant if nothing else : those bolts probabley came from the same batch as Caspers wheels studs... anyway good luck with it mate :Reverend:

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I guess the grinder will take care of any bolts that want come undone.

Lets us know when your heading out to WSID next time & i see if i can make it.
Old 18-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
I guess the grinder will take care of any bolts that want come undone.

Lets us know when your heading out to WSID next time & i see if i can make it.
For sure!

Old 18-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #24
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your detemined to remove the cyl head the best way to tackle the head bolts is to first get a new set, then get a decent size hammer and peen over the edges of the head bolts so you would have to tap on your single hex impact socket with a hammer, clean the oil off the bolts with carby clean & use a 600mm breaker bar to crack the studs loose.
Old 18-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #25
Stav
Smile

I think this was my shortfall today.The fact that a 14mm impact socket will do the job where standard sockets just done cut it. I am very determined to change this head as I am pretty sure the new head will make the wagon go seriously quick.

The next time though..I will have anew set of impact sockets,a few grinding wheels and make it a long weekend thing. I didnt leave myself enough time.Essentially not even a full day. The fact that I need the car tomorow for work forced me make a good decision and I think that I did. I will be much quicker next time as I have had the practice.

The other thing is that the car is screaming..??? In 30 degree heat it normally doesnt go so well bordering on bad.However since putting everything back together it feels as fast as the middle of winter.I am very tempted to wait for cooler weather just to run it as it is.It is going very good for no apparent reason?

Old 18-02-2007, 11:38 PM   #26
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you sure you didn't add a turbo or supercharger to it while you were under the bonnet lol?
Old 19-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #27
Stav
Smile

I think the xhaust and inlet are sealing better.Also the temperature gauge reads cooler for longe.It might just be the tightened hoses ? I dont know but I have seen mods that people advertise which dont feel as good..lol :lookedat:

Old 19-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Stav .... now you know my pain ... I had the same issues when trying to remove the head bolts. Ended up rounding several and snapping a few. In the end ... I just replaced the engine for a newer one ... along with a new auto at the same time.

I needed the car back on the road and I wasn't going to fiddle around with trying to get head bolts out that refused to budge ... oh ... I was using impact sockets as well ... and has 2 other mechanics have a go at it as well ... and they said the head on the old engine was a herdest one they had come across.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #29
Stav
Smile

I spoke too soon.The car has been going like a bullet!!! Until 2pm when the lifters went all noisy and the idle went to buggery.I have just spent another few hours changing lifters and what have you. Finally it decided to work well but only when taking it easy. I think the oil pump somehow is going or Ive stirred up crap in the oil system? Either way I am going to drive easy tommorow and see how it goes.

Old 19-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #30
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
I spoke too soon.The car has been going like a bullet!!! Until 2pm when the lifters went all noisy and the idle went to buggery.I have just spent another few hours changing lifters and what have you. Finally it decided to work well but only when taking it easy. I think the oil pump somehow is going or Ive stirred up crap in the oil system? Either way I am going to drive easy tommorow and see how it goes.
when it comes to engine internals you gotta be super clean. a piece of dirt lodged in the wrong place and you can lunch the motor. keep an ear out for bottom end bearing noises, dirt loves scratching up the bearing and ruining them.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post