Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default NEW Updated Australian Road Rules For You!

THE link below is for the *newly* updated Australian Road Rules, incorporating Amendments to May 2007. It is in Pdf and is 3.09mb in size.

THE *many* changes will be incorporated into your state or territories existing 'driver handbook' over the next few weeks/months. You can download these in turn from your jurisdictions transport website, in exciting Pdf.

http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/ARRMay20071.pdf

NOTE a particular item:
RULE 217 now makes it an NATIONAL OFFENCE to have switched on your front fog lamps in clear weather conditions.

PREVIOUSLY, this prohibition was restricted to WA and NSW only. The modification to ARR 217 brings Australia in-line with practice held in the "United Nations Convention on Road Traffic, Signs & Signals".

WITH time, I'd expect a minor change to this Rule to reflect an additional UN Convention allowance, that of permitting the use of front fog lamps at night in clear weather, on 'twisty, mountainous roads'.

MANY other changes inside these new ARR's folks, read, learn and understand them, enjoy!

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
NOTE a particular item:
RULE 217 now makes it an NATIONAL OFFENCE to have switched on your front fog lamps in clear weather conditions.

PREVIOUSLY, this prohibition was restricted to WA and NSW only. The modification to ARR 217 brings Australia in-line with practice held in the "United Nations Convention on Road Traffic, Signs & Signals".
I leave the switch for mine permanently "on", that way they come on when I turn the headlights on (I can't have them on without parkers/headlights on, they're wired into the switch for them as well).

Might have to stop driving with them on at night. Bummer, I like the way they give me a bit more light onto the road.

Damn conservatives making the rules :(
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

why cant you have them on? i never find that foglights give me glare or 'dazzle' me. its always poorly aimed low beam headlights... oh well.
Old 24-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
why cant you have them on? i never find that foglights give me glare or 'dazzle' me. its always poorly aimed low beam headlights... oh well.
Easy, per Convention - meaning 'to harmonise with rest of the world team', which measn you won't come under notice when driving OS for driving like a dill, but the ARR move also to restricts 'use' of the subject lamp to their "ADR Complianced AND photometrically designed function". They are not DRL's.

If you want more 'light at the front', demand DRL's or use improved bulbs (Plus 30/50 bulbs) etc and so on. Many ways and means!

MANY MORE important issues inside, example; You ARE FREE TO USE GPS/NAVIGATORS when the screen is located in the front as a 'drivers aid', TV, naturally, is not such!

Riksta wrote:
Quote:
I leave the switch for mine permanently "on", that way they come on when I turn the headlights on (I can't have them on without parkers/headlights on, they're wired into the switch for them as well).
The front fogs have their own independent switch, when conditions are clear - keep it set to OFF, day or night.

I'll seek a change to the new ARR217 to allow use of front fog lamps at night in clear conditions WHEN one is driving on a twisty, mountainous road, as allowed by the UN Convention. In theory, one could do that now, but would need to goto the High Court to prove ones innocence of a charge of using front fog lamps in clear weather conditions, if you follow:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 24-07-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 24-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Why the hell should they be illegal? They don't dazzle or bring any harm to anybody. Chalk up another on the stupid laws list.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Now, does the law differentiate between fogs and driving lights?
Old 24-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Why the hell should they be illegal? They don't dazzle or bring any harm to anybody. Chalk up another on the stupid laws list.
Any opportunity for more revenue...
Old 24-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
daz82
In the family since 1996

does that refer to "fog" lights not driving lights?

Most cars that i know of are fitted with driving lights that are not illegal but are called fog lights for marketing reasons. Proper fog lights are brighter than driving lights.

What the really should push is rear fog lights, they absolutely suck!
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Ho hum, they are NOT "illegal". BTW your in NSW, we and WA have had this prohibition for decades. Reasons per above - lets not go in circles.

NB - a P plate blitz begins in a week or so, this offence is also to be targetted.
Old 24-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
better still with them built into most cars we probably will never ever use them in a pink fit, i have not seen fog here for years, that makes them rice, what a stupid rule, i'd rather see a car coming towards me on a highway during the day than not if that makes sense.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz82

Most cars that i know of are fitted with driving lights that are not illegal but are called fog lights for marketing reasons. Proper fog lights are brighter than driving lights.
So what would the ones in my front bumper bar be, and am I allowed to use them or not?

They really aren't heaps bright at all, but they do give light to the road being a bit lower and stuff. Also seem to give a little bit wider angle of light if that makes sense, hence why I like them on at night.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

so where does the BA sit,? does it say fog light or driving light in the e manual ? hate to be arguing this one on the side of the road
Old 24-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
That refers to "fog" lights not driving lights.

99% of the lamps you see below the bumper are ADR/UNECE Compliance FRONT FOG LAMPS.

COMPLIANCED means the lamp meets the photmetric criteria of of front fog lamps, that is, very simplistically, the lamp will bear a flat, wide beam pattern, will have a range typically 10 - 35 metres forward, out to 50 metres max.

What folk really need is more forward vision, that which exceeds 200 metres at night, here 'driving lamps' come into play.

THE CODES on the SUBJECT lamp will tell police and inspectors WHAT the lamp is complianced for. Btw, one cannot have a lamp that is complianced for both fucntions, but the lamp components may be 'shared' between markets.

Front fog: Look for the letter "B", eg "02B"
Driving lamp: Look for the letter "R" eg "HR".
Old 24-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
daz82
In the family since 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
so where does the BA sit,? does it say fog light or driving light in the e manual ? hate to be arguing this one on the side of the road
hence the reason i would be seeking clarification.
On BA fairmont and ghia and fairlane/ltd, are the small almost rectangular lights classified as driving lights or cornering lights?
unsure of the XR's as well

too confusing. should just make all fog lights a slightly yellow colour and driving lights clear light headlights.

Still, they really should be policing the rear fog lights, they are much more annoying and dangerous imo
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
THE lovable BA was originally sold with lamps below the bumper which they called; "DECORATIVE LAMP".

Sadly, DOTARS 'Trade Compliance' and cranky HW police, self etc, could NOT find an ADR for "DECORATIVE LAMP". They were quickly withdrawn.

The subject lamp bore, originally, a Hella 'Cool Blue' 5watt Wedge bulb.

Ford will modify (ask folk here) the lamp to "Cornering lamp status". One could adopt a certain Mazda front fog lamp as a replacement:-)
Old 24-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Front fog: Look for the letter "B", eg "02B"
Driving lamp: Look for the letter "R" eg "HR".
Simple rip out the B replace with the R.
Old 24-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

oh comon this is getting rediculous....
why the hell cant we drive with fog lights on?
by the way how much tighter are the P-plate laws going to get?
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #18
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Simple rip out the B replace with the R.
Nice one - BUT, the letter is manufactured into the lens as part of the initial UNECE regulation requirement, its glass etc, but yes - I see your cheek, which then, in roadside determination, HWP merely check the lamps 'wiring' per ADR13/NVS AND then check the lamps activating switch symbols - the obvious ISO TELL-TALES:-)

No non fog lamp should activate on low or high-beam, DRL's/Indicators aside which are both, on a 12 volt system - P21watt!

XC Sedan wrote:
Quote:
By the way how much tighter are the P-plate laws going to get?
Your in VIC - eventually we'll get to national harmonisation stage. In ARR's, Paul Keating kicked off national harmonisation, LIBS have continued this now to the driver training stage. The emphasis is on 'defensive driving'.

Cost will be a matter for your state to administer. Too costly? Whinge like mad about that aspect at least.

Last edited by Keepleft; 24-07-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 24-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
SiKoRa_eL_97

Hey its not as bad as you think im in poland atm and people have to drive with there lights on here during the day!!!

seriously wtf is that!

better confiscate his computer.
SiKoRa_eL_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKoRa_eL_97
Hey its not as bad as you think im in poland atm and people have to drive with there lights on here during the day!!!

seriously wtf is that!
EU is mandating DRL's, it remains an offence in *most* EU jurisdictions domestically, including Poland, to drive around with your front fog lamps on in clear weather, owing again - 'The Convention', again, front fogs are not UN-ECE Specification DRL's. It takes generations for on-road behavioural change to be seen following regulatory change.

NOTHING stops a country, like Poland, from making law to mandate the use of low-beam during the day - most EU authorities study the effects right down to how much extra energey is required etc when making changes.

The EU Transport Ministerial Directorate can issue 'directives' to any member mandating an action or not. Done usually as a last action.

REM - MANY MORE CHANGES TO THE ARR's - READ AND SEE.

Last edited by Keepleft; 24-07-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 24-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #21
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i am cunfused, simple question the lower lights on a B series xr / fpv are they a yes or a no ?
Old 24-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #22
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
well i am cunfused, simple question the lower lights on a B series xr / fpv are they a yes or a no ?
The BA Falcon, Fairmont lamps are fine. You will probably see NO E-Markings on them whatsoever DOC. (Non compliance, but *you* can ignore).

That non compliance issue has bugger all to do with front fog lamp 'use'.

IF however, your cars lamp bears the markings as discussed in above posts,- then use accordingly to the fuction as identified:-

1. No markings ON THE LENS - No change in your on road behaviour.

2. E-mark bearing the letter "B" nearby eg (02B) - Use as a front fog per ARR 217.

3. E-mark bearing the letter "R" nearby eg (HR) - Use as driving lamp (works on high-beam only) per ARR 218.

Last edited by Keepleft; 24-07-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 24-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #23
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

What is the big deal about driving/fog lights anyway ? Ive always had older cars without them and never have a problem with seeing where im going.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #24
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
What is the big deal about driving/fog lights anyway ? Ive always had older cars without them and never have a problem with seeing where im going.
Another issue, and well discussed in other threads here AND at ALL AUS motor forums. Front fogs can be either 'white-optic' or 'selective yellow', driving lamps; used to aid high-beam performance and only wired to operate when the high-beam switch is on, are white-optic.

Some mistake DRL's as front fogs.

See here for example:
http://blogs.drive.com.au/2006/08/le...foglights.html
Old 24-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #25
Steffo
LPG > You

The only blinding type of fog light thing I've ever seen is on VT-VZ Commodores... but correct me if I'm wrong, those aren't actually fog lights?

I wonder if I could get away on a technicality with my car... the owner's manual says "sidelights," which are not mentioned anywhere in NSW legislation as far as I know....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #26
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my old mans car driving lamps come on when the lights are on (parkers etc) which were factory anyway.. the wiring setup? i'd be annoyed if i get pulled up when im driving it.. even if i don't display my P plates when i drive locally in it.. so i guess the cops will be keeping their eyes peel'd for some $$ :P :P
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #27
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
my old mans car driving lamps come on when the lights are on (parkers etc) which were factory anyway.. the wiring setup? i'd be annoyed if i get pulled up when im driving it.. even if i don't display my P plates when i drive locally in it.. so i guess the cops will be keeping their eyes peel'd for some $$ :P :P
Kyro - get the terminology right - they are not 'driving lamps' I suspect your referring to the BA series? These are non ADR'ed slip-throughs. For you, you can ignore the change in rule.

Steffo writes:
Quote:
The only blinding type of fog light thing I've ever seen is on VT-VZ Commodores... but correct me if I'm wrong, those aren't actually fog lights?
The VX-VY SS Commodore, but not the HSV products of same, were supplied with lamps, made in South Korea, that on 'supplied evidence' to then FORS suggested Compliance. The lamps do NO bear UNECE Compliance markings NOR do they bear FMVSS108 markings.

They were discontinued and so complaints from this source reduce as the cars die off. They should not have been permitted, rem though FORS (DOTARS) does not automatically test all supplied 'evidence'.

Quote:
I wonder if I could get away on a technicality with my car... the owner's manual says "sidelights," which are not mentioned anywhere in NSW legislation as far as I know....
"Sidelights" in ADR and mothercode UNECE-speak - are "Sidelights-Position Lamps". Basically on a 12 volt system, are the 5 watt 'parkers' as Aussies call em.

They are a mandatory rule. The key 'reason' why these exist AND why they operate *always* - when the headlight switch is on low or high beam, is to serve as a backup signal to oncoming traffic that your low-beam has died, - SO that traffic on approach, or as you approach the rear of another at night - can still see your cars edge-outline. This reduces offset collisions.

So sorry, no out there.

The BA's so called 'decorative lamps' are also 5watts, just like the parkers located at headlight level. An ADR issued arose owing 'grouping' of lamps etc. You'd have not been able to legally fit both extra driving lamps or front fogs! All fixed now.
Old 24-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #28
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Kyro - get the terminology right - they are not 'driving lamps' I suspect your referring to the BA series? These are non ADR'ed slip-throughs. For you, you can ignore the change in rule.
driving lights.. in an EL not a ba
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #29
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I for one am glad that this law has come in to effect. I always get dazzled by people driving the other way with fog lights, especially where I had to drive. I live outside of the metro area and there isn't any street lighting. Add a wet road and you can't even see where the road goes.
The Peugeot has fog lights (front and rear) on it and we never use them unless it's foggy.
Old 24-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #30
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
XC Sedan wrote:
Your in VIC - eventually we'll get to national harmonisation stage. In ARR's, Paul Keating kicked off national harmonisation, LIBS have continued this now to the driver training stage. The emphasis is on 'defensive driving'.

Cost will be a matter for your state to administer. Too costly? Whinge like mad about that aspect at least.
i like the sound of that, everyone gets the same licensing system... hopefully it doesnt get stupidly restrictive though...
thanks Keepleft ;)
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post