Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
sblythman

Default Tickford Premium Caliper logo...

i recently picked up a complete set of series 2 tickford premium calipers still in their original red. Now some of the red paint has start to flake off or has been chipped off and around the logo as well. It looks as though the logo is not even engraved into the caliper, only engraved into the paint??? Because where the paint has come off near the logo there is no deep groove in the caliper outlining the tickford logo... It looks like the logo has been sort of reverse stenciled on?? i am worried that when i strip the paint off the brakes the logo on the calipers will not longer exist??? when i have seen pictures of other calipers it appears that there is a significant groove for the logo... Im confused.

sblythman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tickford Premium Caliper logo...

pictures???
Which Tickford calipers in particular do you have? To suit which model??
If its for an AU, they were never red buddy
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
sblythman

well the brakes came off a series 2 xr8 but I'm thinking they originally came from a t3 ts50 because i thought they came out with the red calipers. I thought there were two colours they came in? no colour and red. i will try to get pictures
Old 26-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51
pictures???
Which Tickford calipers in particular do you have? To suit which model??
If its for an AU, they were never red buddy
Oh yes they are on a T Series T3 TS50 and TL50 (grey on a TE) but not sure about the earlier models
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
sblythman

See how the logo only appears to be engraved into the paint not the actual caliper... So if I strip the paint then I'm going to loose the logo..
Old 26-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

they might be mustang calipers that someone has painted and used a stencil ?

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
STINKY NINJA
Banned

My series 2 te came with red tickford calipers standard and yes the logo is just stencilled on because mine is flaking off too.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
sblythman

damn it. well in that case does anyone have any good ideas for engraving/stencilling the logo back on there before/after painting...
Old 26-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

see on ebay if you can find a tickford sticker and use that as a mask?

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
BHDOGS
Banned

Glue a tickford badge on em
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Karnage
Finger Painter

You guys are over thinking.

The logo is engraved/cast into the caliper. Clean/Prep/Paint the calipers in your preferred colour. Once the paint has cured get a small pot or enamel from supercheap/autobarn etc in you preferred colour. Then use a small artist brush to paint the engraved part, if you get some paint outside the lines use a small rag or cotton bud dipped in turps (or what ever the thinning agent is for the paint) and wipe it off quickly, generally if paint on calipers has dried/cured/heat cycled the thinner won't affect it.

From Peuty's Thread.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
sblythman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
You guys are over thinking.

The logo is engraved/cast into the caliper.
If you had read above you would of seen that my calipers do not actually have the tickford logo engraved/cast into the calipers. The logo on mine has been "reverse stencilled" on from factory (must of been the process they used for a little while according to "TE 220" also experiencing the same issue). So when i remove the paint from the caliper i will be left with nothing but a machined face with no engraved/cast tickford logo.
Old 26-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Are the calipers on the car? If not could you use the pattern on them to have it engraved before fitting them?
Old 26-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
sblythman

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Are the calipers on the car? If not could you use the pattern on them to have it engraved before fitting them?
Nah there not on the car and its only one of the calipers that has paint chipping away on the logo. One of them is still fine so i was thinking about taken them somewhere to be engraved and copied onto the other caliper but i have no idea how much it would cost and what process they would use (it would probably have to be done freehand and just wondering the quality of it...). The other option is maybe replicating the logo and making my own "reverse stencil" to do it.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
T2TICK4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 220
My series 2 te came with red tickford calipers standard and yes the logo is just stencilled on because mine is flaking off too.
My t2 te50 also has red on the tickford calipers
Old 28-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah on an XR8, the calipers are just like a dark grey, charcoal color
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
STINKY NINJA
Banned

The logo is definitely not engraved because i planned on cleaning mine up and repainting the wings,once i saw the stencil i changed my mind because i wanted to keep the logo.Although one day ill probably just paint over it when im sick of paint peeling off my calipers.
Old 28-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Tickford Premium calipers are all the same, raw or painted they're all the same casting with the same "engraved" logo.

Personally I've never seen the calipers with the logo stencilled so I'm sceptical. Even the Mustang Cobra calipers, which were the same calipers, had C O B R A engraved into them.

Karnage is 100% correct and has explained the exact procedure I followed to paint mine red/white (mine were originally raw as they were from a T3 TE50).

The engraving is not deep, it's only about 1mm deep. Go and have another look at them as maybe they've just been repainted sometime or were never painted originally.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
sblythman

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman
The Tickford Premium calipers are all the same, raw or painted they're all the same casting with the same "engraved" logo.

Personally I've never seen the calipers with the logo stencilled so I'm sceptical. Even the Mustang Cobra calipers, which were the same calipers, had C O B R A engraved into them.

Karnage is 100% correct and has explained the exact procedure I followed to paint mine red/white (mine were originally raw as they were from a T3 TE50).

The engraving is not deep, it's only about 1mm deep. Go and have another look at them as maybe they've just been repainted sometime or were never painted originally.
Yes the calipers are all the same but what i can see that's happened is that the calipers were Painted first in quite a thick paint so when they had the 1mm engraving done to them that was only just enough to get through the paint but a 1mm engraving on a raw caliper would actually be engraved into the metal. There is definitely no lip trust me haha. Anyway found an industrial engraving place in dandenong that are going to make a template off the good logo and engrave the logo into both @ 2mm deep for $150
Old 30-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Nice solution, should look sweet.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
sblythman

Well picked the calipers up today and they did an awesome job! I'll post another up once I've painted them...

Highly reccomend these guys:

Industrial Engravers Australia
1/11 England Street, Dandenong VIC
03 9706 6085
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have done a freaking fantastic job!!! Well done, great outcome. Can't wait to see them painted/fitted :P
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
f6amf
bf f6

powder coat or paint steven?? i got to get my brembro's re clear coated

334 RWKW 98 tune 11.804 @ 122.90 mph
379 RWKW E85 11.527 @ 129.5 mph!
f6amf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have these been painted yet?
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
robbyj
Rob

Could they be fake? i'm sure there's other ways to tell they are premium tickford calipers other then just the logo. (but if not, someone with a stencil is making huge $$)
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Bit of an old thread I know - but I can confirm that my T2 TE50 came from Ford with the exact same calipers as these and I bought the car new. They were fitted at the dealer as I bought the car off the showroom floor and it didn't have the Premium brakes option already fitted. I enquired about colour options and the response was that 'T2's have red calipers', no other option.

If you take care of them then they last quite well. Mine have never been refinished and I took this pic 5 minutes ago...

Very happy to see an option for when mine inevitably need attention - thanks sblythman
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post