Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
heckaz performance

Default E-series Turbo manifolds

Hi Fellas,
There seems to be a lot of interest in turbo e-series, at the moment. Just wondering what you paid for your turbo manifold, where you got it, and what you think of it. Also if you like, When does your turbo make boost and what turbo are you using? Cheers :voldar02:

EF 6
4.11's
bosch 044
gt42
crow stage 3
custom valvebody
little stall
lame hp4 nsl chip

heckaz performance is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

from what ive read you have a 1.44 gt42, found on a daf truck, i have one too. they arnt very suitable for a 4.0 six.
you need to find a 1.00 housing OR only use 1 of the side of the twin entry< some turbo 5.0 guys do this in the states to get away with the huge deisel turbine housings.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6Boost does great looking turbo manifolds... have a look at Rollins cardomain site..

www.cardomain.com/id/falconxr6

if i was to get a turbo, (one day) then i would definitely get one of his manifolds...
Old 25-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

boost and 4.11s, haha good luck getting traction on spool up :P:P
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
heckaz performance

Alternate Pipe sizes can alter your airspeed and make the turbo spool earlier, as well as different manifold design aimed at increasing airspeed. I wouldn't bet that the 1.44a/r is too big for a 4L, but you can blow some money on a little housing if you want, I run a big cam and low diff gears and will fit a stall to suit, if mines too small. But my vehicle could do with losing some power down low, and is revving harder than most because of the gears. I have gone big on everything, and using a little turbo housing that makes boost below stall, and strangles up high is useless to me, and why go as small as the Ford Turbo? most mods trade bottom for top, a couple of sizes in exhaust AR is not the big deal some KNOCKERS reckon, or would like to fool people into believing. Next thing they say is "We can change your housing to some gay crap the same as eveyone elses for $$$$" good on ya. If I wanted low down response, I would have got a stock ford Turbo NOT VERY ORIGINAL. From my research it will spool about 1000rpm later than a Ford Turbo at the most.
Geez, most Jap Turbos are modified by fitting a larger Turbo, But I Guess you know better and have a vehicle with over 1000HP. Wake up. Small turbines on large Compressors do nothing but encourage boost surge (pushes turbo off left side of map), and exhaust restriction. Whats the point of having a compressor that flows 900hp and an exhaust that is rated at 600hp? Its a BIG Turbo and will STAY THAT WAY, its compressor is 30% larger at least than a Ford Turbo (88lb/min, 900hp) , so it makes sense to have the larger Turbine AR. I dont need to do anything thanks, and sheep dont win ИИИИ.
If it was a stocker though, you'd be right, she'd be a bit big.
Old 25-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
heckaz performance

Thanks boostedef,
I want to be able to fry them at over 100kmh.
Old 25-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
heckaz performance

Thanks OED666,
they do look pretty sweet.
Old 25-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
heckaz performance

QuicCorty, sorry bud, I think I took that to heart too much. I just think they are a matched combo how they are. Good to hear someone else has this Turbo. I think they would have run pretty high boost stock. They have a lot of flow even at low boost, and the lag will only exist in 1st on the Track. Will you be fitting yours to a 4L?
By 3000rpm I will have a monster, but may use a Turbo manifold that merges 2 x 3to1, with smaller pipe sizes to increase air speed and produce earlier spool up. Air speed can be doubled using this approach, and adjusted with different pipe diameters to alter spool up. What you said about using a single entry sounds interesting, but I would make it staged and the second one open at 3000rpm, to get low spool and high flow. But only if theres no boost by 3000rpm.
Old 25-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
heckaz performance

Compressors good for 550hp@7.5psi :
Old 26-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

not sure where you got 550hp from. If it is the same as mine, a 68mm inducer on the compressor wheel its the 800hp version. A 76mm inducer is the 1000hp version.
the 1.44 is of a 12.6 litre deisel truck that probably see's 2500rpm max.
I would like to see when it would spool on a 4L. I got plans for mine sitting next to another 6 cylinder one day, but in a 1.05 turbine housing.

I was thinking about maybe using mine on my 351 in a silly moment, instead i just got it running properly.
Old 26-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
heckaz performance

Wink

550hp@7.5psi for the 94mm Compressor Wheel which I have, 800hp+@ 22psi.
102mm Comp wheel is good for 560hp @ 7.5psi, and 1000hp @ 30psi, but would be a surge monster, easily pushed off the left hand side of the map, especially with a small AR Turbine.
The 94mm Compressor will handle a smaller AR Turbine, without becoming a surge monster, but the compressor is still much larger than a Ford Turbo, so using the same AR Turbine could still be Trouble (surge) The gains of the 102mm Compressor begin at 30psi.

The engine it was on was rated at 550hp

the maps are at: www.atpturbo.com/root/maps/gt42.htm

Cheers for the info on the turbo the engine was fitted to. Being such a low revver, she would have came on boost @ about 800rpm on the 12.4L, should be around 2500rpm on the 4L, SWEET!!!!

Do you know what boost they ran stock (gt42 on daf 12.4L)?
As I dont know what the actuator would be stock, I'm guessing it was a pretty high though.

I've been asking about the manifold for the reason that different designs of Turbo Manifold, offer differing airspeeds. People wanting earlier spooling can use smaller pipe diameters, merge pipes together, and use twin collectors, to alter air speed, for example: twin 2"pipes have over double the air speed of a single 3" collector, meaning a manifold using twin 2" collectors will spool far earlier than with a single 3"collector.

I am having one made to suit the AR of my Turbo, so if anyone else would like to make their big Twin entry Turbo Spool like it has a smaller AR tubine, several could be made at once. :voldar02:
Old 26-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckaz performance

Cheers for the info on the turbo the engine was fitted to. Being such a low revver, she would have came on boost @ about 800rpm on the 12.4L, should be around 2500rpm on the 4L, SWEET!!!!
how do you figure that out?
Old 26-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
heckaz performance

I use a Crystal Ball,
Nah just kidding, my engine is a third of the size of the 12.6L, and would need to do triple the revs to move the same volume of air.
Thats OK because they make their peak power at 1900 so around 5700 on a 4L will give similar conditions in terms of airflow.
Old 26-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
EFFalcon
Last warning

peak power at 5700rpm, are u planning on having it rev to 6500rpm?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #15
heckaz performance

It'd be good for 9's on a clevo. Clevo's Rock.
Why aren't more people slapping Clevo heads on their Windsors?
Especially the injected pre AU ones with lame heads. Just use an appropriate manifold with injector holes and fit a throttle body and they'd fly.
Old 26-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #16
heckaz performance

Rev limit will be kept to 6000 - 6200rpm, for the rods sake.
Its 6000rpm now and will most likely stay there.
Any comments on Turbos or Manifolds are appreciated and helpfull to others.
Old 26-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
It'd be good for 9's on a clevo. Clevo's Rock.
Why aren't more people slapping Clevo heads on their Windsors?
Especially the injected pre AU ones with lame heads. Just use an appropriate manifold with injector holes and fit a throttle body and they'd fly.
'cause its a tad more difficult than drilling injector holes.
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

getting off topic but it involves drilling coolant pasages out, different head haskets, complete new intake manifold, new headders, just to name a few things
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #19
heckaz performance

Yes and will then be a weapon (clevo headed windsor). I do know about the coolant hole mods, instructions on what to do are in the Ford Motorsport catalouge.
I said buy a manifold that comes with injector holes,
and You'd be using new gaskets anyway unless you are a Sigma mechanic :

OK Thanks for pointing out they would need new extractors also.

Touchy subject, I'd be ИИИИed off with a Windsor too e
Unless it was a TE50.

We keep getting off track, Turbo's and Turbo Manifolds.
Old 26-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #20
LUXO_8
windsor user

not a touchy subject at all:P its just there are so many good heads out there these days for windsors, it isnt really worth the hassles of setting up the clevo heads..
im just about finished building a nice 347 stroker, should give the commies a whopping

though i'd love a nice stripped out EB turbo as a funster
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #21
heckaz performance

: Well thats gettin' more like a TE50.
They had a real nice intake manifold that would be tough to match.
Commie 8's from vn on had good heads that flow 450hp stock, and can be made to hammer pretty easily. Most of them get stuck with their banana manifold thats only good for around 250kw. Gen 3's on have big heads also.
Cheapest way to get high flowing heads on a winsor is to fit clevo heads, as aftermarket heads cost $$$
Winsors will have more low down torque though, due to higher airspeed through the ports. :
Old 26-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #22
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
: Cheapest way to get high flowing heads on a winsor is to fit clevo heads, as aftermarket heads cost $$$
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #23
heckaz performance

Thanks for the nugget, That'll pay for the Turbo Manifold etc.

Or some decent Windsor heads, for ol' mate.
Old 26-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #24
heckaz performance

: And no one doubted the Turbo's 9sec potential on a Clevo. :
The GT4294 would suit V8's also, especialy with the 1.44AR Turbine.