Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-12-2005, 01:56 AM   #1
91A
Starter Motor

Default Workshop Manuals

There seems to be three levels of Workshop Manuals available.

The first is the Ford AU manual which is $295.00. I had an XD manual which was very good but $295.00 seems a bit much.

The second is the Max Ellery AU Manual at $49.95 which seems OK from the write-ups that are probably written by the author.

and

Thirdly, there are the Gregory and Haines type manuals which seem a bit shallow and a bit - "Your dealer will have to undertake this operation" type of advice. But they are less expensive at $35.00 to $40.00.

What are the experiences of other AU DIYers?

91A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 06:19 AM   #2
GTHOXR8

I have only got a Haines and am a basic DIYer and it seems good for me. I am not into stripping down engines and changing main bearings etc but for changing coils, basic servicing it seems fine. Got it on e-bay for about $40
GTHOXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The Haines, Gregory & Ellery manuals are basically aimed at they DIY market and are probably better at showing what needs to be done than the factory manuals but the factory manuals are far more comprehensive. It depends on what you want to do - I use mine as a knowledgebase and thus have thew factory ones but if you are looking at the practicality of how to do things the Ellery manuals are probably the pick.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have the Hanies one, and it's pretty good, but it' obvious in some places that it was an upgrade of the EF/EL manual - it contains shots of parts that just don't exist on the AUs.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be nice to see even the Ellery manual in PDF format or whatever posted in the AUfalcon forums archive for member future refence.
Saves distroying your entire book when doing dirty jobs,just print out the pages you need and your away.....
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i am about to get a haines service manual, i think its just what i need

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
It would be nice to see even the Ellery manual in PDF format or whatever posted in the AUfalcon forums archive for member future refence.
Saves distroying your entire book when doing dirty jobs,just print out the pages you need and your away.....
Except that it would be a breach of copyright. Good idea though.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Yeah, I have the Ellery's manual and it's very handy.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
91A
Starter Motor

After thinking long and hard and looking at the old manuals that I have, I decided to buy the Ellery version from Beven Young. It arrived on Monday (16th January) and is worth every cent.

The price from Beven Young who is at beven@bevenyoung.com.au was cheaper than those on eBay.

Thank you all for your great help.

Russell
91A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #10
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i never use service manuals, the only thing i normally download or use are the original wiring diagrams ... i can never memorize them
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have now got one, got it for xmas , its a gregory's.. more indepth than a haynes. and it is brilliant, i am an apprentice diesel mechanic for CAT and i still use the manual!

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post