Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

View Poll Results: DBA or Stocko Rotors?
DBA Slotted and cross-drilled rotors EF ABS 38 84.44%
Socko EF ABS rotors. 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-08-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
Growler

Default Dba or stocko?

I need to get new front rotors, iv'e heard DBA slotted and cross-drilled rotors are good for the ef (ABS) but some say that they (DBA's) are a waste of money and are more for 'looks' rather than performance. People have also told me that DBA's have a tendancy to crack.

So would you recommend buying stocko rotors or Dba's?

Growler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
bradcad

DBA's are an excellent choice- but not cross drilled.
The slotted are an excellent upgrade but even the standard replacement DBA rotors are great, because the cool far more evenly than stock, and have less tendancy to warp....
bradcad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
Simmo
White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcad
DBA's are an excellent choice- but not cross drilled.
The slotted are an excellent upgrade but even the standard replacement DBA rotors are great, because the cool far more evenly than stock, and have less tendancy to warp....
yes and no. DBAs are great rotors, but as said, not the drilled. get slotted's for sure. but don't doubt their ability to warp. i killed a set in about 7 months, but kept driving on them for another 3. i do drive harder than most though.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

i would definately go slotted but not cross drilled...
When i used slotted xdrilled on my old Vl Commodore they cracked, used slotted since on the commodore, then on my ford and never had a problem!
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
bradcad

simmo, was that on the Kangaroo paw design? Just haven't heard any bad about the new design is all..

and some EBC Greenstuff pads...
bradcad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Simmo
White Lightning

nah i couldnt get [still cant get?] the 4000 series on e-series falcons. what i have now and have warped have just been the standard slotted. i got nothing but love for the 4000/5000 series.

and another big up to the greenstuff pads. i warped the original slotteds with bendix advance but the greenstuffs i put on after have been awesome.
Old 22-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I was reading the catalogue for DBA and you can't get 4000 or 5000 series for an EA :(

If I am wrong can someone please post the part numbers.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

RDA will be fine, and are cheaper.
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Used cross drilled n slotted and never had a prob!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Cross Drilled is over kill..........also more holes in a Solid Rotor the less stronger it is......plus the more holes in a Solid Rotor the more points where your pads will be warn down and less grip.....

Just go slotted.........I have RDA Slotted on the Front of my EF with no issues and I do some hard braking everyday as I work in the mountains.....

But apparently if you have ABS sometimes the RDA's can make your ABS light stay on as the ABS ring is not perfect - if this happens tell them to replace them.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Simmo
White Lightning

i've got RDA standard replacement rotors on the back of mine. they're still fine and the ABS definitely works as tested by the foolish woman who thought you can block an entire lane while your waiting for the traffic to ease in the other one.
Old 22-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I've got DBA slotted on the front of mine and haven't really had a problem with them. I did warp them about 2 months after I got them but since they've been machined I haven't had the slightest problem with them.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used cross drilled and slotted on my 355 stroker VP. That thing got an absolute belting and I never had a prob. I'll probably just get slotted for the EF. They'll be hiding behind stockies anyhow.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #14
Rollin
Banned

UNR8D, Ignition, OED666 and I all got a full set of drilled and slotted rotors at about the same time a couple of years back.

UNR8D and I went through a set of front discs each in about 20,000km (large cracks going from the center of the disc out to the edge via the holes) and Ignition warped his. (He doesn't try nearly as hard as we do though ) UNR8Ds and my discs were scrap but Ignitions came up good with a machine. I think OED666s discs are going well but have required a machine at some stage.

After that UNR8D and I bought the slotted+kangaroo paw design ones and have had no dramas, using metal king plus pads until I recently needed a new set of pads, when I had to get greenstuff as metal king is no longer available, as far as I can tell. Which sucks because I reckon they are the schiznit.

I have probably done 40,000 on the slotted rotors and IMHO they have another 40,000 in them, no worries, UNR8Ds discs are still going strong as well, even though they are stopping a 1700kg/14.8 second NL fairlane and he absolutely rapes his brakes...

Braking of the DBAs is MUCH improved over stock, they are well worth the extra cash - I couldn't reccomend them highly enough.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #15
Junkz0r

I bought a pair of RDA slotted rotors for the front...

I haven't put them on yet though.. Need some pads for em..

Bendix are the go i hear?
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #16
clevoxc
V8 rumble

Definitely DBA mate. I've been selling them for years and have had very minimal come back for the amount sold. I've also seen a video of their factory and how they are made and they are made to the highest standards. Having said that I have always used them and they are great.
clevoxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I want dba slotted!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #18
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

DBA or RDA.
stock sux

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED
2008 MA XR5 Mondeo

2015 VOLVO V60 T6 R-DESIGN-POLESTAR Enhanced

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #19
oneredED
need more boost

I have DBA slotted's. I need better, but going better goes into the $2k and up price range for what I need, so DBA's it is. Standard rotors put up with ONE large stop on my car before warping and cracking. DBA's lasted about 20 before doing the same, but only those who are VERY HEAVY on brakes will find that problem (frequently braking from 200+)...

EDIT: I forgot to say, go the DBA's, the stock rotors are pathetic, I have driven friends cars with the standard rotors and pads and I think E-series falcons are dangerously underbraked for their weight, so don't buy stocko ones!
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #20
EFFalcon
Last warning

DBA Slotted's can be had for $100 a side.
i'd deffinately be getting them.

I've got DBA slotted/cross drilled, no complaints.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #21
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I have killed some DBA slottered with in 6 months. I do 2 - 3 track days per year which I believe Im harder on them when on the street.

I dont know what to do.
Old 22-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #22
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have x-drilled and slotted, the only reason i had them machined as my pads just wore out... only drove 5k's home on them with 1 stuffed pad..

i have had them purple at qld raceway, and no probs. smashing the brakes on for about 7 laps from 180k's on each main straight