Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default New camera checks rego in a flash.

Taken from Northern Star (Ballina, Byron)... Scarey stuff.

NEXT time you drive past a couple of cops with a camera it might not be just your speed they’re checking.

New Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) also allows them to instantly check the car’s registration to find out if it has been stolen.

And NSW’s first large-scale campaign using the device, conducted by the TweedByron highway patrol last month, has had staggering results.

During operation Legitimate, police issued 1005 infringements and laid 195 charges for offences including unlicensed driving, unregistered vehicles, suspended driving and drink driving.

Byron highway patrol’s Sergeant Greg Swindells said he was ‘overawed’ by the results of the operation.

"When you’re detecting people driving unregistered vehicles, that often goes hand-in-hand with detecting a range of other offences too," said Sgt Swindells.

"We saw a huge increase in the number of offences we detected over what we’d normally get.

"If you drive past and your plates check out, fine then happy days, off you go.

"But if you’re driving an unregistered or stolen car, then we’ll have a car off to intercept you straight away.

"It’s also useful to detect people who have put stolen plates on their car."

Each unit involved in operation Legitimate comprised five officers — two stationary to man the ANPR and three in patrol cars — enabling them to chase down every offender.

ANPR can be used on a fixed mount or, as in this case, a portable tripod and can check one number plate every second on cars going up to 160km/h.

The ANPR’s camera is linked to a laptop, which uses image recognition technology to decipher the characters in the number plate. It then consults an online database to see whether the car is registered or stolen.

Now that Tweed-Byron has had its turn with the device, it is off to do checks in an un-named command — but it will be back.

"We’ll be using it periodically in the command — but we’re not going to say when," Sgt Swindells said.

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Bastards
Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
... Scarey stuff...

...police issued 1005 infringements and laid 195 charges for offences including unlicensed driving, unregistered vehicles, suspended driving and drink driving....
Getting the unregistered or stolen cars etc off the road doesn't seem too scary to me.

Panda
Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how clever it is with interstate plates?

A friend of my brother was visiting a few months ago in his "hoon spec" LS1 fitted with personalised plates. One of the pimply faced youths in police uniforms (we have a training station here) pulled him over and was giving him a hard time because he had been reported last weekend on crime stoppers for hooning in Maryborough. The pimply faced youth was is super hero mode and was about to arrest the "criminal" for unregistered vehicle (The QV said the car was a skyline and the plates were on a commodore) and a whole lot of other trumped up charges when the hooning was denied repeatedly as he was not in Maryborough last weekend and tempers started flaring.

Fortunately a more senior copper came over, listened to the story, looked closely at the car and licence, radioed for another QV, apologised to the "criminal" and then explained to the pimply faced youth that the NSW on the personalised plates meant "New South Wales" and it is possible to have the same number plate as a QLD one......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
rennie
BA Falcon, AUII. R.I.P.

thats an awesome idea. stops people driving when they shouldnt be, stolen car preventative. A positive move I say.
rennie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda
Getting the unregistered or stolen cars etc off the road doesn't seem too scary to me.

Panda
The "scary" bit was more a reference to the "Big Brother" type technology, and how far reaching it could become!
I have NOTHING against ANY methods used to nab car thiefs etc.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
VSSII

Anything which nabs car thieves is great. I don't care if they check my rego. I have nothing to hide. And there's nothing worse than getting hit by someone with no insurance. Go get 'em!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
"But if you’re driving an unregistered or stolen car, then we’ll have a car off to intercept you straight away.
I think this is a great idea, much easier to catch the undesirable type road user.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Walkinshaw
Two > One

This has been in use in Adelaide for 6-12months now. Fantastic idea.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Who cares about the registration!!! Its the compulsory third party insurance that is the big one. Registration is just another government fee. The insurance protects other road users in case of a prang.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats been in use in Canberra for a few years now. Pay your rego, no drama's
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #12
Dezza
Parts bin special

While I am against speed cameras, I have no concerns with using them to catch stolen cars. I'd prefer to see the car thieves caught and locked away rather than people being booked for doing 3kms over the speed limit. Thieves have absolutely no respect for the owner of the car, and I have no respect for them.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm dead against revenue raising speed cameras, but I think those ANPR cameras a great idea. I'm sick to death of thieves, unlicenced drivers, morons driving unregistered cars etc.. All of these richard craniums represent a threat to us in raised insurance premiums and the like as we go about driving lawfully.

And as for the "big brother" aspect, I'm of the opinion that the civil libertarians have lost touch with reality. When surveillance cameras were put up in the Brisbane Queen St Mall, the CL's jumped up and down claiming they were being spied on, but if you're not breaking the law, you've got nothing to worry about and I think it's comforting to know that there's someone watching in an area that's proved to be dangerous at times..
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #14
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's been 2 threads on this before and I would have thought charlie would have seen one having been around long enough but you can't read 'em all. Those here in this thread seem to have the same opinion as those previously expressed by others.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #15
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

You do realise that a big part of the why the gov cant wait to use them is so they can pick up people with outstanding fines too?

Just like those SafeT Cams on the Geelong Hwy were originally used for trucks, but now capture cars for point to point speeding instead.

I do love the stopping stolen cars point though
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #16
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Who cares about the registration!!! Its the compulsory third party insurance that is the big one. Registration is just another government fee. The insurance protects other road users in case of a prang.
ANY insurer will drop you like a hot scone if.....
1 Unlicensed or disqualified driver
2 Unregistered vehicle
3 Driving whilst ****ed
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #17
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Love this camera, get all of those unregistered, uninsured cars off the road.

Uninsured in 2 ways Third Party Liability (Person)
Third Party Liability (Property)

Anyway if they don't register their car they wouldn't be paying for third party liability (property) insurance

Thumbs up to the inventor :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #18
quest

They have been using the system in North America for quite a few years now for toll roads.
All the States & Provences are now co-operating with billing.
There are no gates or people at a toll entrance or exit ,just cameras and you get billed through the mail
Dont pay on time & you can't get your licence renewed until you do + a fine
quest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 AM   #19
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Love this camera, get all of those unregistered, uninsured cars off the road.

Uninsured in 2 ways Third Party Liability (Person)
Third Party Liability (Property)

Anyway if they don't register their car they wouldn't be paying for third party liability (property) insurance

Thumbs up to the inventor :
CTP (Compulsory Third Party) in NSW at least, only applies for person cover. Property is optional and not required by law.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #20
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A good idea. May as well have the uniforms being of some small use while they are out busily collecting revenue. Had to smile at the name of the revenue collector featured though...it's a swindle all right.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #21
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
CTP (Compulsory Third Party) in NSW at least, only applies for person cover. Property is optional and not required by law.
Steffo thats what I meant

If anyone is driving an un-registered car they wouldnt bother getting third party liabilty property cover

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post