Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Default New Ford Mondeo More Than Just Good Looks

Ford Australia today released details of the most eagerly anticipated new model launch of 2007, the all-new European-engineered Mondeo.
Dramatic design, state of the art safety, innovative features and an attractive recommended retail price will see the new model enjoy the same success in Australia as it has already experienced in Europe.

"Mondeo will introduce new levels of style, refinement and safety to the medium size segment and set a new benchmark for how a car should drive," said Ford Australia President Tom Gorman.

"Exemplary driving dynamics is a key element of Ford DNA and Mondeo is no exception. The new model delivers an outstanding driving experience and customers will be extremely impressed with just how good the overall package is."

Mondeo is the first production iteration of Ford's exciting new 'kinetic design' philosophy, creating a sleek and dynamic profile expressing energy in motion.

"The best way to describe kinetic design is to think about a sprinter at the starting blocks, tilting forward and poised for action – it's all about creating an athletic and purposeful stance. This is the image that the new Mondeo portrays, in motion or stationary," said Mr Gorman.

"Elements of kinetic design also apply to the interior of the vehicle and are evident in the ambient lighting, soft-touch materials and attention to detail in the cabin environment."

There are four stylish vehicles in the range including the feature laden LX, a higher specification Zetec, an economical low emission turbo diesel and the range-topping sports performance Mondeo XR5 Turbo.

All models in the range provide for an intuitive, flexible and spacious interior package, offering an intelligent use of space with exceptionally generous luggage capacity.

Mondeo LX is available as a four-door sedan and offers impressive levels of features and safety equipment as standard.

These features include an enhanced Intelligent Protection System (IPS) complemented by Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA), Dynamic Stability Control and seven airbags, including a driver’s knee airbag and full length side curtain airbags.

Other innovative developments consist of a capless refuelling feature with mis-fuel inhibitor, an automatic hazard warning light and optional voice control command of Bluetooth®, audio, climate and phone control systems.

The higher specification Mondeo Zetec is available in either four-door sedan or five-door hatch and comes standard with the same IPS as appears on the LX model.

It is differentiated externally by 17-inch alloy wheels and enhanced grille and fog lamps. Features over and above the LX include a Sony premium sound system (a six-disc CD player with eight speakers and MP3 compatibility), rain sensing wipers, front and rear parking sensors, dual-zone climate control, cruise control and a leather wrapped steering wheel.

Both the LX and Zetec feature the 2.3-litre Duratec four-cylinder petrol engine producing 118kW and 208Nm, which is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift.

The new Mondeo TDCi features an advanced 2.0-litre Duratorq four-cylinder common-rail turbo diesel engine that delivers on the key expectations of a modern diesel car - impressive refinement, large car performance and superior fuel efficiency.

The acclaimed TDCi diesel engine produces 96kW of power and peak torque of 320Nm from an easily accessible 1750rpm.

The stylish four-door sedan or five-door hatch comes with all the comforts found in a Zetec model and also has a six-speed automatic transmission as standard.

"The automatic provides for a smoother drive and better performance," said Mr Gorman.

"Gear changes in automatic guise become virtually indiscernible and the six-speed transmission's more efficient delivery of power to the ground is able to provide exceptional fuel economy."

The exciting new Mondeo XR5 Turbo is the sports-performance model of the range. Utilising the same 2.5-litre Duratec 20-valve five-cylinder turbo engine as appears in the Focus XR5 Turbo, it will sit alongside other XR performance variants in the Ford portfolio.

It offers the same safety and creature comforts as the Zetec and TDCi variants, but is given further visual appeal through the addition of 18-inch alloy wheels, lowered sport suspension and a performance-styled bodykit consisting of front and rear bumpers, fog lamps, and unique upper and lower grilles and rocker panel moulding.

New driver-focused technologies found in the XR5 Turbo include keyless start via a 'Ford Power' start button.

Ford's new Human Machine Interface is available across the range. Consisting of easily accessible steering wheel mounted controls and an easy to read cluster display, HMI means the driver's hands never have to leave the wheel to read relevant vehicle related information such as radio, phone and personalised settings.

The Mondeo XR5 Turbo offers an enhanced cluster display featuring a 15cm premium colour screen.

Peak power of 162kW is realised at 5000 rpm and the maximum 320Nm of torque is available from a user-friendly 1500rpm all the way through to 4800rpm.

To further enhance the sports pedigree of the XR5 Turbo, it is only available with a six-speed manual transmission.

The two petrol Mondeo powertrains deliver fuel economy of 9.5-litres per 100km, which improves to an excellent 7.3-litres per 100 km with the diesel engine.

"In the case of the diesel this equates to a range of more than 950km^, or enough to travel from Melbourne to Sydney with enough remaining to drive around once you arrive," said Mr Gorman.

In light of the impressive array of safety equipment and standard specification, the recommended retail price of all models sets a new benchmark for the segment.

The LX has a recommended retail price of $29,990, the Zetec and TDCi have recommended retail prices of $34,990 and $37,990 respectively, and the Mondeo XR5 Turbo is $41,990*.

There is also an optional 'Cruise Pack' available to LX customers to further enhance and personalise their new vehicle.

It consists of 16-inch alloy wheels, cruise control, a leather wrapped steering wheel and rear power windows. It has a recommended retail price of $1,500.

"New Ford Mondeo marks a step change for Ford in terms of design and technology," said Mr Gorman.

"With the arrival of Mondeo, Ford now has our strongest ever portfolio of imported small to medium passenger cars, giving us the ability to deliver an even greater range of desirable new vehicles to our customers."

FORD MONDEO RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE AND OPTIONS LIST

Model
$RRP*
LX 4-door 6-speed automatic
$29,990
Zetec 4-door 6-speed automatic
$34,990
Zetec 5-door 6-speed automatic
$34,990
TDCi 4-door 6-speed automatic
$37,990
TDCi 5-door 6-speed automatic
$37,990
Mondeo XR5 Turbo 5-door 6-speed manual
$41,990

Options
$RRP
Prestige paint
$350 Voice control with Bluetooth $450 LX 'Cruise Pack' option (Cruise control, rear power windows, 16" alloy wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel) $1,500 Sunroof (Zetec, TDCi and Mondeo XR5 only) $1,900
Leather trim with heated front seats (Zetec/ TDCi only)
$2,000

* All prices exclude dealer delivery and statutory charges ^Range calculated based on ADR 81/01 fuel consumption of 7.3l/100km with 70-litre fuel tank

Last edited by Donut King; 11-10-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Looks the goodz! I hope it will sell well, better than that pusbucket melted Camry or the Epica. However, once again the Australian public will probably go for the Mazda 6...

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

That is actually a very nice looking car. Pencil me in for the diesel version.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
HSE2

Yeah very nice looking car. Falcon sales just got tougher with those prices. Like to see exactly what spec we have but it looks like a winner so far.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well if Ford want it to be successful they better market the hell out of it like Holden did with Epica. Plaster it over every type of media. It will be a bloody good car, prob the best car in the Ford range.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll take an XR5T thanks!

Hopefully it has cruise unlike the Focus XR5T
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
well if Ford want it to be successful they better market the hell out of it like Holden did with Epica. Plaster it over every type of media. It will be a bloody good car, prob the best car in the Ford range.
We all know that they won't market it though, probably get some crappy ad druing Kath and Kim or something. Woot 100th Post!

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Good looking, well equipped and priced extremely well (cop that Holden!). I can see these things selling quite well. Wouldn't mind an XR5T myself.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
LukeyST
ST fan

The XR5 looks great, but id be changing the wheels straight away.

I will wait to see how it sells, unfortunately i dont think it will, its a great car yes, but i have that gut feeling :(
Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

That black interior is SOOO DAMNNN NICCEEE!!!!!
I want one just for the interior, thats pure sex on wheels.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
kocho
The Futuriser

Looks amazing. Nice work Ford getting this over.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
That black interior is SOOO DAMNNN NICCEEE!!!!!
I want one just for the interior, thats pure sex on wheels.
Agreed, is that the XR5?

That interior might be common one day. :evil3: Please tell me you can option manuals on the other models?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #14
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

Never thought a Modeo would look good, and they still don't..................they look GREAT!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #15
TZENU
XY Driv3r

That sounds like are really good package put together by Ford... And reasonably priced too throughout the range.

Wouldn't mind taking that Xr5 on a test drive too !
Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #16
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

I'm actually very disappointed that the only model to come with manual transmission is the XR5 Turbo. They sell these in Europe with manual transmissions across the range, surely it could be a no-cost option for the same price as an auto.

The slow death of the manual transmission :(. (Otherwise the car is superb!)
Old 11-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #17
SpooN XL

That XR5 is very nice. I was looking at an MPS or XR6 turbo but that might just be the one. :
SpooN XL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #18
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I'll take a black one, with the leather and sunroof, mmmmmm
Probably the only car that would get me out of a falcon...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #19
kocho
The Futuriser

Is there a release date yet or was it mentioned and I missed it?

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #20
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
Is there a release date yet or was it mentioned and I missed it?
demo models should be in dealerships mid next week!

XR5's VERY short supply!!!!!! most dealers are only getting 1 car, the larger one's 2 if they are lucky, till next year!

European demand exceeding production capabilities!
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #21
Danny
GT4.

As if people would buy the 10 year old Falcon over that! I cannot say that an XR Falc looks better than that XR5.... Especially the Interior.

Thats bloody GORGEOUS! WOW! It's great to see ford with NICE Modern cars in their line up..... Like 2002 when the BA Falcon was nice and new.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #22
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny

Thats bloody GORGEOUS! WOW! It's great to see ford with NICE Modern cars in their line up..... Like 2002 when the BA Falcon was nice and new.
Wait until Orion, then it will be a killer line up.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
"More refined, better engineered and better looking than the Epica...new Ford Mondeo. A little bit of Europe in your driveway :P"

The Mondeo looks very classy. The Epica looks very cheap and IMO, outdated even before it was released.

The Mazda 6 though is the incumbent.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #24
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome, thanks for the pics Donut King... where did u get them from?

I also hope Mondeo will sell like hot cakes.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #25
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Its a great looking car and has awesome road repsence..i saw a few down Philip Island way a few weeks back. The Ghia and SR5 are very well equipped and the interior is very classy.

This will sit very nicely for Ford against Mazda 6. Epica is not in the leauge, even the Camry looks even more dated and the Aurion has taken a step back.

Nice line up filler for Ford, hoping will not steal the show for Orion, but may signal some significant line up changes/prices etc for Falcon
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #26
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Nice looking car. I wouldn't mind it at all.

Once Orion is in, definitely a powerful model range. Interesting times ahead!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #27
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Sorry to disagree here fellas.......... :lookedat:

Based on the pricing, you can bet a slab that the most common MONDEO variants you'll see on the road will be the :

LX 4-door 6-speed automatic
$29,990

and

Zetec 4-door 6-speed automatic
$34,990

To me they both look horrid...........

XR5T looks the goods but can't see it being a best seller...........

MAZDA 6 and CAMRY is going to slay it.................unfortunately.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #28
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice car, but a tad pricey.

An entry level manual would be handy too.
1500 bucks cheaper.

I hope it sells well.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #29
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

I hope you're ready to eat your words in a few months time ESP !!
Checked out a couple of manual TDCi hatches in England last month, and although a massive fleet seller and with projected 40% residual value after 36 months as all Mondeos have had in England, it is still damn nice car, and pretty suited to the market down under.

Last gen. Mondeo was a good car (owned one for 4 years) but at the time Oz was still buying 6 and 8 cylinder cars without a care in the world, and with cheaper gas back then, why would you have bought 4 cyl. euro box??

Times have changed, and this new model will sell very well indeed here.
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #30
fordAU

Nice looking vehicle, Ford needs a good mid size to counter the likes of the Mazda 6 etc, lets hope the Mondeo is a quality build.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post