Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
gu4800

Default A sad reminder - 5 die in M5 crash

Just a reminder that speed kills. 5 young men die, and everybody reads about it on the M5board (forum for BMW). He was a new member to their forum, and only just got his car.

A sick feeling - the 15th of January a member posts about possibly looking for an airstrip to do some LEGAL speed runs. The final post from the young driver involved in the crash was:

Quote:
AmericanM5 - I'm in
That post was made on the 26th of January - he died that night/early morning at an airstrip, taking 4 mates with him. Obviously couldn't wait for the planned event with other forum members and decided to go to an airstrip 12 miles from his home. It all ended in tragedy for 5 families.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=111545

Current Drive: 2009 Audi S3 Sportback in Black
Old 05-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
XRQTOR
Banned

Is this the one where they ran out of run way flat stick, i saw the vid of the aftmath on another board if its the same one.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
gu4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Is this the one where they ran out of run way flat stick, i saw the vid of the aftmath on another board if its the same one.
Yep - tried to brake, but left it too late.

Current Drive: 2009 Audi S3 Sportback in Black
Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

the Strip was too short for what they were doing, silly it was, but still a tragic accident for all involved.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu4800
Just a reminder that speed kills. 5 young men die, and everybody reads about it on the M5board (forum for BMW). He was a new member to their forum, and only just got his car.

A sick feeling - the 15th of January a member posts about possibly looking for an airstrip to do some LEGAL speed runs. The final post from the young driver involved in the crash was:

That post was made on the 26th of January - he died that night/early morning at an airstrip, taking 4 mates with him. Obviously couldn't wait for the planned event with other forum members and decided to go to an airstrip 12 miles from his home. It all ended in tragedy for 5 families.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=111545
NO SPEED DOES NOT KILL.

Driving beyond your abilities and doing stupid things in stupid places kills.

It really worries me that so many are just following the propaganda and believe anything they see on TV like a bunch of sheep.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
NO SPEED DOES NOT KILL.

It really worries me that so many are just following the propaganda and believe anything they see on TV like a bunch of sheep.
Correct, the fact he left the braking way too late and didn't have a clue what he was doing is what killed him and his mates.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
NO SPEED DOES NOT KILL.

Correct speed doesnt kill, the sudden stop at the end does. Some people really cant grasp just how much ground your covering at these speeds.

I saw an accident that most of you would have seen on the news in the past few weeks and the person who died never had any actual visable injuries but died shortly after from internal injuires.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
XR6Dan
Why??

That is so very tragic.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1) he "borrowed" his fathers car without permission

2) he broke into a private airstrip

3) he killed himself and people who were old enough to know better

waste of a nice car

more of the story & pics here:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4198416&page=1
Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
nommic
EL Monty Ghia

The kid was a moron.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=111454

That's him asking about all the transmission settings on the M5, and admitting that he has little experience with high performance cars. Basically that thread is him trying to get people to tell him how to use the car.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

In the 1900's they thought speed could kill you....could tear the flesh off the bone..In those motorized contraptions without horses.

Ahh how far we've come
Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thats just a tragic loss..:(

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

very much a waste of lives however as above broke in to a airstrip was unfamily with the car and pushed his limit way over the top. hopefully some people learn a lesson from this yes cars are getting more powerful but doesnt mean we need to use it, use what you need to your limit and there a correct time and place for this like a drag strip

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
Old 05-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanM5 (the kid who died)
I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others..and I hope you are not under the impression that I am the one to brag, I have never been that way and never will.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Thats kinda creepy reading through those threads on the M5 forum
Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
paul_r_d

The ones I feel for are the innocent lives these kinda people can potentially take. Especially the ones that street race drag, lose control of their car and smash into innocent drivers or pedestrians.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #17
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Angry Dumbshit!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
1) he "borrowed" his fathers car without permission

2) he broke into a private airstrip

waste of a nice car

more of the story & pics here:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4198416&page=1
show some god damn respect. people like you drive me me up the wall, the kid is dead for christs sake.
have you been so god damn perfect in your life!? NEVER MADE A MISTAKE!???
yes what he did was wrong, big friggen deal. do you make stupid posts like that just to make people angry?????????????
Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #18
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||

If he killed people old enough to know better, why were they in the car????
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
show some god damn respect. people like you drive me me up the wall, the kid is dead for christs sake.
have you been so god damn perfect in your life!? NEVER MADE A MISTAKE!???
yes what he did was wrong, big friggen deal. do you make stupid posts like that just to make people angry?????????????
Him killing 4 innocent people Isn't enough of a big deal for you? why should we show respect for him.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #20
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
Him killing 4 innocent people Isn't enough of a big deal for you? why should we show respect for him.
Im sure those other 4 people knew exactly what the were doing aswell. Its not like he forced them to come along. Its just an absolutely tragic situation :(.

P.S. Dont think for a second im defending his actions, because im definetly not.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #21
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
that is a big deal, but, the people in the car cannot have been that ignorant to be thinking "hey doing a speed run at 3am on a runway in an M5 is a smart and safe idea"
i beleive the blame is partly lays within them. not more then about 30% but still... they must have been out of there minds if they thought doing that was safe....
Old 05-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #22
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
No this is the one that happened 2 weeks ago. :
Old 05-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #23
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very sad to hear, but i think this post from that site says a lot....
Quote:
Originally Posted by from m5 forum
I would be much prefer an 18 year old with brains to have an M5 rather than spend his moeny on some other piece of junk that could kill him and his mates in an accident.

For those of us lucky enough to afford an M5 we all only wish we could have as nice ar car as you have now when we were 18. for me anyway not possible.

They hadnt been made yet!

How over you paid for thats your business IMV and I for one applaud you for having one.

I have a 20 year old son and an 18 year old son and I wish I was half as bright as they are.

You have one big advantage over all of us older ones - at least you can work out idrive!

My only bit of advice matey - If you crash in a big way expect to be on the news.

Enjoy and resist the temptation to drag others at the lights.

If your tempeted just imagine that the driver is Hillary - that should make your foot and other extremities go limp.....
Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #24
xquizd
Da Boss

Sorry fellas but some people in this thread are friggin m0r0n5!
wont even bother naming or explaining I think we all know who they are.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A terrible loss and tragedy for the families, but not for the individuals themselves who knew what they were doing, but not how to do it.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #26
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
NO SPEED DOES NOT KILL.

Sheep? Buy yourself a mirror and maybe some shears.

Speed does kill, only an idiot assumes that those who make the statement 'speed kills' believe every time you go fast you die, that was never the message and your post clearly tries to attach that interpretation to it, that is propaganda. Red wine doesnt stain either, its the idiot who drops it, uh huh great logic in that. You wont die if you hit a wall at 10km/h in an M5, but chances sure as hell increase with speed until we reach a speed where its a certainty. Obviously speed kills. We've all seen motor racing, clearly we know you can go fast, in controlled conditions, with enough skill. The message is aimed at public roads.

The only reason you can say 'speed doesnt kill' is youre not dead. Same with the young lad in the M5, last week. At least this young kid had enough intelligence to do it off road.

Just a tragic waste of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX_datto
If he killed people old enough to know better, why were they in the car????
Because theyre under the delusion/misrepresentation speed doesnt kill.

Truth is, like many here, they dont know better, but as usual just cant be told even when its Police in their spare time on here, Ambulance drivers and any number of other people. These people have enthusiast blood in them, the people on here repeatedly posting the warning posts are not the bowls club brigade.

Last edited by fmc351; 05-02-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #27
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
pretty much...
Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #28
xquizd
Da Boss

Quote:
Your not wrong there :

Dammit HLC beat me to it. :
Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #29
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I could have imagined doing what that kid did when I was 17. I think I would have had the brains to stop or do it the first time without the mates onboard but me at 17 years of age.... I would have been doing the speed run...
Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

How tragic for all involved.
What a shame, from the write up about it they were a group of talented boys.
Unfortunate the driver should run out of talent at 140MPH.

I feel for the drivers family as well as the other families but it's hard to deny the fact that this 18yr old kid gained access to a 500hp vehicle.
If he took it without his parents knowing then more fool him, if they let him drive it then they should be charged with something similar to putting a loaded gun in the kids hand.

Perhaps governments need to apply the blowtorch to parents who allow their teenagers to own/borrow any form of high performance vehicle.
Closed Thread