Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-03-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

Default Help with chopping springs?

Gday guys and gurls

I wanna of chop my springs as it is getting unbearable to look at my EB. I wanna get lowered springs but definitly cant afford it for a few months, i do own an angle grinder though :

im thinkin 1 coil from the front and 2 from the rear to make it look more level. would this be ok? should i just do 1 coil at the rear.

anyone had experience with chopping springs?

ive ALWAYS been against choppin springs, until now. i absolutly HATE the 4wd stance with a passion and will do anything to get rid of it.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #2
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

Ummm cut springs are 100% illegal. Trust me, I'm a mechanic.
Old 24-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfang888
Ummm cut springs are 100% illegal. Trust me, I'm a mechanic.
Exactly right, illegal and voids all insurance. The main problem is the heat created during the cutting weakens the rest of the spring and it could break, even though its unlikely its not worth it IMO considering new springs are only $200-250 a set.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 12:14 AM   #4
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

Yep. As EDXR8 says, new springs aren't that expensive. If you wanna make the car look real good, just drop it heaps. Mine EA2 Fairmont's at 110mm front and 175m rear (legal limit 100mm).
Old 24-03-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
InitialD
Low and Loud

plus the car handles like a shopping trolly, bottoms out alot, and is dangerous

Most wreckers sell 2nd hand springs front and back for $100

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #6
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

awwwwwwww but im not gonna chop em by much....

oh well looks like i wont do it. though i cant tell yas how tempted i really am, the height is making me go crazy out: am i not alone with that standard height issue??
Old 24-03-2005, 01:22 AM   #7
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

Chopping springs is fatal... car can't respond properly, and nose-diving is common when the springs break because of the lack of length. But you may get lucky, untill your next inspection, that is.
Old 24-03-2005, 01:26 AM   #8
danege

Mate your not alone.

Howerver most people prefer their lives and insurance over looks.
Old 24-03-2005, 01:26 AM   #9
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the stock height doesn't look great. The problem isn't how much you are cutting, 1 or 2 coils would be fine for height and will still probably give enough support and suspension travel, but its the fact that once heated by cutting, the metal can become really brittle and could break under load.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 01:28 AM   #10
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

EDXR8 speaks the truth. Stock ride-height blows, but springs don't cost that much. you'd rather risk your life than spend a couple-a-hundy?
Old 24-03-2005, 06:46 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Check out Ebay they've always got some new or second hand lowered springs for E-series going around. Got mine for $150 for the set though they are only the XR ones...
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #12
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Heat? Don't be lazy, use a hacksaw in a bucket of water lol..

But cutting springs is bad mmkay...

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #13
Dodge
i like to be stroked

if u use a 1mm cutting dics there will be very little heat transfer, u can cut and quench the spring , but quenching wont be needed with the thin wheels, go to a welding supplys place to find the Pherd ( spelling) brand of discs.
Old 24-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #14
Dodge
i like to be stroked

dont forget the ratio of cutting , 1 coil could be a 2" drop . i think its 2: 1 or something.
Old 24-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #15
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I like my standard ride height :Reverend:

At least I can go over speed humps, up driveways, and on dirt tracks... you know, actually DRIVE the car :thebirds:

I don't like the roly-poly ride quality though... It's not terrible, but I think some stiffer swaybars, stiffer (but same height) springs and stiffer shocks are in order...

Yes, I know that by lowering the car I lower the centre of gravity, creating better handling, less roll, etc etc etc...

I do however like this XL coz it's just nutbAr (plus I threw in my proud-to-be-4WD ride height for comparison):

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #16
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by needturbo6
awwwwwwww but im not gonna chop em by much....

oh well looks like i wont do it. though i cant tell yas how tempted i really am, the height is making me go crazy out: am i not alone with that standard height issue??
I have only just got lows for the front of my car (well will have in a week or so), and for a good price, but I have been waiting how long people (at least a year) , so just keep looking, I am have been so tempted so many times to cut mine as well.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #17
chelvdog
Soul baby

Mate, for the price of second hand and even new springs versus the time and effort you would go to to remove your stock springs, chop them and put the back in, it's just not worth the dangers. It is illegal for a reason and you will be royally screwed if you're in an accident.
$100 for a second hand set and they're in the for sale section all the time. Patients with saving your cash will be rewarded when you ride on safe, legal springs.
Old 24-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #18
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

umm Ghia5L, the front of my car's at 110mm and the only trouble it has is steep driveways and speedhumps. You have to crawl over speedumps, but that's what they're there for, and on the open road it's great and takes potholes with ease (unless they're massive, but in that case there's usually roadworks there so nyou gotta slow down anyway)! lol.
Old 24-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #19
Sundeep
Banned

Uncut springs are over-rated.

Bring on the grinder.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #20
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Many misconceptions here as usual.
Yes, cut springs are illegal.
No, cut springs aren't unsafe if done properly.

Assuming they are cut properly, they are not unsafe, they do not make the car handle bad, they do not fail, they are not weaker, the heat doesn't effect them, they don't bottom out.

They are stiffer, they do handle quite ok in most cases, and it is almost always safe.

Coil springs aren't the rocket science some here would like to believe.

There are 3 factors which govern a coil spring.
1 - Wire diameter.
2 - Number of active coils.
3 - Overall height.

By changing any number of these factors, the spring will change it's height and/or rate.

When a coil is cut, it shortens the length of the overall wire, this effects 2 things.
Height and rate.

Height is reduced for obvious reasons, rate is increased because the the leverage is decreased. Imagine a the coil unwound into a long piece of spring steel rod. Shorten it and what happens, it is harder to bend. Same principles apply with that same steel rod wound up into a coil spring.

As far as actually cutting it goes, the best method is to use a angle grinder as this only heats up about 10mm of metal, which is of no consequence in regards to the springs strength.
Always start with 1/2 a coil at a time, and work your way down. Starting with too much is of course irreversible.

Anyway, my usual disclaimer, I don't recommend cutting springs because of stupid legal issues, however my view is that if you are going to do it, at least be armed with the correct knowledge of how to do it, and the likely results.

Rick.

Last edited by Sox; 24-03-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #21
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Rick and Grant have hit the nail on the head.

IF you are adament about doing it DO NOT use a gas axe. Using a gas axe is 10x worse than using a grinder as the heat is far more excessive and will lead to grain change within the coils.

Use the grinder in small sections as to not allow the spring to heat up. or yes, use a hack saw for a better result.

Saying this

DONT DO IT

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #22
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gas ax is bad.
One of my previous rides I bought already lowered. The last owner had lowered it in the most safe way of all. Heat a few coils til they sag enough then quench them. Jack the car up and the spring seperated into two pieces, it had snapped. Had new springs in that one quick smart!

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #23
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep i'd avoide it like the plague simply for all the legal reasons. I remeber seeing on TV a dude in an integra/prelude (don't remeber, POS though) with chopped springs lost it and hit someone, killing em. Went to prison on charges of manslaughter i think. That's like...nearly murder. That'd suck. Plus it'd void your insurance....how long will that new porsche you just smashed into take to pay off if your not even in a position to buy a set of springs?

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 10:49 PM   #24
hornet

I would also avoid it, as lowered cars do attract the attention of the law.

2 weekends ago I was driving 2 blocks minding my own business, when a cop on a bike (we dont usually have them up here in the country) pulled me over and said my car was too low.

He asked if I had done any work to it, I told him I had sports suspension. He laughed and said "sports suspension, haha."

He pulled out his little book that told him my "eyebrow" height had to be atleast 337mm (distance from centre of wheel to eyebrow of mudgaurd) front and back. Out cam the tape measure which he had handily stored in the panier of the bike, and low and behold 339mm. Needless to say, i was rather happy with the out come.
Old 24-03-2005, 10:59 PM   #25
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

would insurance really know if i only chopped the minimum amount of metal?
im assuming that is 1 coil so it locates in the right spot, or will they still go in if i only chop 1/2 a coil?
Old 24-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #26
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

depends on how thorough the inspection is, I guess.
Old 24-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #27
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just hold off until you can afford the real deal. Wouldnt want to be in an accident with badly cut springs etc...
Old 25-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #28
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Way back when I didn’t even have a license I overheard a conversation at my sisters house about some junky car having 2 of the coils welded together, wasn’t paying much attention to it but apparently a spring compressor was used on 2 of the coils and then they were welded together.
Didn't think much about it till now but that would have to royally screw the spring if using an angle grinder caused heat fatigue.
I can imagine how easily the welds would break over a speed bump or pot hole.

NeedTurbo6, Just fill the car with fuel, put some heavy junk in the boot and it might sit a bit lower
There's always WANTS (you also want/need a turbo going by your username)
Just wait til you can afford it, hard work removing the springs & would be pretty easy to stuff up with a grinder.
Sure someone on here was selling xr springs.
Old 25-03-2005, 08:18 AM   #29
Dodge
i like to be stroked

pherd 1 mm cutting discs will not heat up the steel , i can cut in 10 seconds flat and touch the end , so no heat imput as the thin wheel has less resistance when cutting like the bunnings 3 mm discs.
Old 25-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #30
Sundeep
Banned

Quote:
Yep i'd avoide it like the plague simply for all the legal reasons. I remeber seeing on TV a dude in an integra/prelude (don't remeber, POS though) with chopped springs lost it and hit someone, killing em. Went to prison on charges of manslaughter i think. That's like...nearly murder. That'd suck. Plus it'd void your insurance....how long will that new porsche you just smashed into take to pay off if your not even in a position to buy a set of springs?

-Stu
You didn't put the bit where the guy was doing like 150km/h+...

I watched that episode of 'Motorway Patrol' as well.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post