Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 31-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
need psi
slow & low EA Ghia

Default urgent 5 speed questions

hey guys ive been really slack latley and havent been bothered fitting the 5 speed thats sitting at monty.v8's house for the past few months, so i finally got my *** into gear and called a few places. heaps of places wont even touch it! one guy started to abuse me because its a waste of money he reckons! ****er.

so the few questions are:

1. is 500-600 dollars a reasonable price to fit all the parts?
2. do the gear box mounts from the manaul line up with the holes in the floor pan which used to hold up the auto?
3. are the tailshafts the same from auto to manual?

he said if there are no differences between the auto and manual tailshaft and the holes line up it will bring the cost down to around 500. he said he can start on it tomorrow if i want! so thats why i needed to get this info asap.

i was pretty happy because 1 place said 400bux but his never done a conversion on a ea before, 3 places said 500 - 600 and they've done the conversion before and 2 places said over 1000bux and they've both done it before.

any help would be appreciated thanks.
Ehab

Last edited by need psi; 31-01-2005 at 05:30 PM.
need psi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

you currently got 3 speed or 4 speed auto ?

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
need psi
slow & low EA Ghia

3 speed so no computer mods to be made, which helps.
Old 31-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

does the 5 speed, have the U shapped bracket in it, or a straight bracket for the rear mounting point.

You will need the U shapped one, and all will line up nicely AFIK.

Old 31-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
need psi
slow & low EA Ghia

why is there two types?? do you know anything about the tailshafts?
Old 31-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The 2 different brackets are because they changed the gearbox mounting points in EA 30th anniversary onwards due to 4 speed gearboxes being introduced.

The tailshafts are the same as best as I know, the 3 speed auto tailshaft fitted to my 4 speed auto no problems.

The only problem i thought you got was they changed the rear flange on the diffs between models, but as you are swapping gearboxes should be no problem.

Last edited by EA2BA; 31-01-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 31-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
need psi
slow & low EA Ghia

so the series1 ea 5 speed had a u-shaped gearbox mount compared to the series2 ea which had the straight one, is this correct? i thought the tailshafts were the same but he said that i might be in for a surprise. i dont know if he meant that there not the same or that they could be the same. it was hard to tell when he was being sarcastic.

thanks dellboy for the help
Old 31-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

the guide on fordtech.com says 4 & 5 speed tailshafts are the same and the 3 speed isnt, but what happened with dellboy may be different (i think my tailshaft (4spd) didnt go in as far to the 5spd as it was in the 4spd)

pedalbox will be the biggest pain in the *** for them, i'd make sure they are including that in the cost (the ones who have done it before should be doing this)
Old 31-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

oh you still might need some wiring changes (the engine bay loom might not line up, make sure the mechanic u use knows this, the gearbox loom plug will just have to be swapped to match... and you can bridge the two pins for neutral (ground and neutral switch) so the car starts in gear (good safety feature in case the car breaks down and u need to use the starter to move it in a hurry)
Old 31-01-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
need psi
slow & low EA Ghia

with 3 speeds you dont have to make any changes to the wiring at all as far as my understanding goes. ive also got a 4spd tail shaft in my car, there exactly the same as the 3 speed. so im guessing all the tailshafts are universal. that can also be changed at a later stage with a fully balanced one.

they also knew about taking out the dash or just loosening it off to get to the pedal box. so they included in the price, and also included puting in a strengthening the firewall, thrust bearing, and just incase they have any trouble.

can i use the auto bolts to bolt up the gearbox or do i have to buy new ones? do ford sell them?
Old 31-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 and 5 speed tailshafts are the same - 3 speed are different! I bent my steel tailshaft and replaced it with an alloy one from an EF XR8 for $75 so its not that expensive.

AFAIK pretty much any rear mount fits. I have a 5 speed out of a use in mine (XG or XH) and I initially used an XF crossmember (needs 2 holes drilled in it). I later changed the rear crossmember to a different model - cant remember which one.

The pedal box is a real pain - the job is easy once that is done.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #12
Damo
Banned

Does anyone actually have any facts, to show that the tailshafts are different..? I've been told/read sooo many conflicting things. Someone who's converted there 3 speed maybe ?

Thanks.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 09:20 PM   #13
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

mine has an XF crossmember in it also...

are you sure the 3 speeds dont need the neutral switch wiring, cos unless a 3spd would start in drive etc i'm sure it would need this done...
Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileNceR
mine has an XF crossmember in it also...

are you sure the 3 speeds dont need the neutral switch wiring, cos unless a 3spd would start in drive etc i'm sure it would need this done...
One thing i found with the XF crossmemeber is that when I put in superlows and an alloy drive shaft the shaft would hit the underbody of the car. I seem to remember using my old auto crossmember which got the height correct, and modified it in some way to to get it to bolt to the gearbox. Not sure though, it was many beers ago.

regarding 3speed vs 5 speed tailshaft: Ill go measure a 4 speed (tailshaft which will fit a 5 speed) and you can compare that to the length of yours and then youll know if it will fit for sure.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4/5speed shaft is 132cm between the centers of the uni-joints with a 13cm yoke

I remember reading the old "5 speed conversion guide" where they stated the 3 and 4/5 speed shafts are different lengths
Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #16
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought some stuff off a bloke last week and he was saying he bought a car for the 5 speed conversion and was dissapointed when he found it was an auto originally, the conversion used auto cross member and tail shaft which he says works but is not the same at all.
i'd ask the installers again to verify this in particular to see if it is SAFE
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #17
need psi
slow & low EA Ghia

well as ive said my car is a 3speed but i have a 4 speed tail shaft in it, which i fitted after the uni joints snapped in the old one (shouldnt have slamed it into first at 60 too many times), so my auto cross member will work then? i have a manual one but its not the right one. the car goes in with in the next 2 weeks (more then likely next thursday) so i just want to make sure i get everything sorted out by then.

ive sent off my fly wheel to be lightened and balanced which is only gonna cost 78bux!

does any one know if an AU clutch will work with an EB flywheel. the people at extreme clutchs told me there the same, the people who are building my other motor told me that there the same size just that the bolt pattern might be different.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #18
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

All 4.0 clutches are the same eb-au there 6 bolt ... 3.9 clutches are same as older 250 style 3 bolt
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2005, 12:22 AM   #19
neb
hibernating

hey my 5speed is from an eb series 1... does that mean i probably have an older style clutch.... crapppyy
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post