Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
mowog
Discovery 4

Default Political agends and Moderation

It would seem that moderation of this part of the forum is based on the agenda of those with the ability to moderate... The Nasho debate highly political thread but has been allowed to survive. The DU thread closed because it was going to get to political. My questioning the the moderation in other thread deleted?

I am a moderator on other forums and I dont edit or delete fair comment that isnt offensive I would suggest that the moderators of this forum disscuss what they feel is not for discussion and let the great unwashed know what these things are.

Also a PM from the moderator with and expaination would be nice. The guys down in the Territory forum can manage that.

Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

When you live in someones house, you live buy their rules.

If you can not or are not happy with the rules, move out.

As I am a member of several forums, I come across several different types of moderation, this is expected. There isn't any way to moderate a forum other than the cay the commitee want it run.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 08-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
When you live in someones house, you live buy their rules.

If you can not or are not happy with the rules, move out.

As I am a member of several forums, I come across several different types of moderation, this is expected. There isn't any way to moderate a forum other than the cay the commitee want it run.
I am trying to understand the Rules here... Personal agenda should not dictate what is moderated.

The Bar... For non car related general discussion

So far I dont see where my post on DU has fallen outside the guidelines of this section of the forum. If you dont think the DU is is important then say so and move on but others who want to comment either in support or againts what I posted should have that chance.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Ask Redrum if he found your thread offencive.
Ask Casper for info reguarding the closure. Maybe it can be re opened with a clause?

Oh and do all via PM, not in a thread.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 08-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

ok, I'll make it very simple. I'm the one that removed the DU thread and I would remove it again. It was a political thread outright. It was a anti-bush, anti-Howard bash based on questionable evidence. Personally I'm not at all for DU weapons, I think they are totally out of place in a modern world, however the way it was written it was going to start a left/right war. There is no doubt in my mind it crossed the line. If it were anti Labor/Democrates I would have done the same thing too as political threads are simply not allowed on AFF.
As for the Nasho debate, I read it and found it to be anti or pro conscription not politically factionised, at least up to where I read.

Moderation on this site is generally consistant and rarely if ever based on a personal agenda. Sometimes things get missed and slip through however feel free to ask anyone on here, if its political, its going to be closed if it becomes a "bashing" thread, and they nearly all do.

As for the bar being a place to post any and everything.. you should read this thread. http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=55529
The bar is a part of AFF for off topic chat, not a free for all to post anything at all.

Now, finally, if you wish to post up something on DU that does not have a political spin on it and discusses to actual topic rather than all the consipicy rubbish behind it, feel free as it will not be closed.

This is the second thread you have started on this in the bar. I suggest that you use the PM system from now on rather than try and make mods have to "air dirty laundry" in public. We dont have anything to hide and its just making you a target for others.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I think the mods here do an excellent job!
If you have an issue, use PM!
There is a whole section on it Here
Old 08-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Throwing in my 2 bobs worth, I think we need some vigorous political discussion here, as we sure as hell don't see it in the media or in any other public arenas. ***EDITED BY CASPER****
Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Throwing in my 2 bobs worth, I think we need some vigorous political discussion here, as we sure as hell don't see it in the media or in any other public arenas. ***EDITED BY CASPER****
You dont get it do you? If you want to debate politics go to a political forum. This is FORD FORUMS. Political debate is off limits here.. PERIOD. This is a forum about Ford vehicles.

I am REALLY getting sick of editing your posts too, no more attacks on political figures or you will have no choice but to post somewhere else.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

People should be free to air their views away from the moderation of others, within reason. We all have brains and can easily see who the dribblers are or not. Well actually, maybe we don't all have brains, some people actually think the stuff they see on the commercial news and current affairs stations has some distinct parallel with reality when of course anyone with a brain wouldn't be stupid enough to believe that :->
Old 08-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
You dont get it do you? If you want to debate politics go to a political forum. This is FORD FORUMS. Political debate is off limits here.. PERIOD. This is a forum about Ford vehicles.

I am REALLY getting sick of editing your posts too, no more attacks on political figures or you will have no choice but to post somewhere else.
Then why have a section labelled "The Bar, For non Automotive Related Chat"?

All I am saying is that our political leaders need to be held accounatble for their actions cause if we don't, no one will. And if that involves discussion of topics like the military's use of DU, then so be it.

I do regularly post to political forums, but I for one feel that it is necessary to generate public debate on a much wider stage than just a political forum
Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Because thats what it is.. but it has rules. Rule No1, NO POLITICAL THREADS!
Its an off topic area but it is not a free for all.

Quote:
All I am saying is that our political leaders need to be held accounatble for their actions cause if we don't, no one will.
Yes they do and anyone who knows me knows I have very stong opinions on politics. Just not here on these forums.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
mowog
Discovery 4

Cars and Politics are a mix that we cant get away from...

Maybe the original post was in the wrong place trust me I wont try it here again...

But just a few points...

I am not a believer in what current affairs shows tell us I have been an activist for Veterans rights for a long time now and I have seen a lot of injustice against injured servicemen and women. The Australia people should be offended at how our servicemen and women are treated. The DU issue is not new but there have been great efforts to hide the facts. If you are interested search it in Hansard. Both the RSL and the Govt have been hiding the facts about this issue.

Enough said either you care about your kids future or you dont
Lotus Trooper.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Look, its simple. There are heaps of places where political "soapboxing" is tolerated and encouraged. Feel free to use them and I wish you all the success you are after. Personally I actually agree that many of these things should be discussed and Governments of both left and right be subjected to closer scrutiny. I also believe current affair type shows are pathetic.. at best.

Fordforums.com.au made a decision some time back, after a number of political threads got nasty and offencive, that their were enough people on this site who coluldnt refrain from getting abusive in them to make it policy that they are not allowed. Its a fine line (such as the nasho's thread) however the moderators are given the task of using judgement to keep or remove them. This has proven, in almost all cases, to be very sucessful and supported by the vast majority. It will remain this was too.

Any form of political soapboxing (like your last post as an example), while not disagreed with personally, will be removed based on this policy. I will, however, leave your last post as an example and to allow you to have your say.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I support the moderation of that thread 100%, and I also find it insulting that you claim to be a moderator yet have now twice aired your dirty laundry on the forums rather than contact either the moderation team or the administrators.

A poor sign of an adequate moderator and one of whom I would remove immediately from my team.

I will put it simply, we have a set of guidelines, here is the link http://www.fordforums.com.au/announc...nouncementid=2, have a good read, because if anything strays into that area, via a grey or black line, it will be shut and deleted.

I would also suggest you have a read of http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=55529, as for the quality of some of the posts of late have been comical to say the least.

We have a Donating Members area where generally it remains unmoderated, as the section is populated with some passionate Ford Forum people, views and opinions are discussed freely, and yes I have also been pulled up by my own comments in that section.

If you feel the desperate need to have some valid input as to the direction the forums are heading, which ever direction that be, then I look forward to a constructive PM to either myself or one of the other administrators.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
Franky
Bring back the Phase

In the terms and conditions it doesn't state anything about closing threads that the mods have no interest in. Not having a go at anyone but 2 or 3 threads this week I was about to post were closed early that had nothing to do with politics (stay out of them completely)
Old 08-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky
In the terms and conditions it doesn't state anything about closing threads that the mods have no interest in. Not having a go at anyone but 2 or 3 threads this week I was about to post were closed early that had nothing to do with politics (stay out of them completely)
Trust me, if admin and mods closed everything we were not interested in the Bar would be very, very quiet. If its garbage or breaks SOP's it will be closed.. otherwise its usually left alone.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #17
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky
It does now. In general those that are removed are those that are either extremely trivial in nature or a breach of the site T&C - not because someone has no interest in the topic. The Bar should still remain an area where people aren't forced to wade through a lot of drivel for useful content particularly as it is one of the publicly visible (to non member) areas.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 08-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #18
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Sorry, can't help myself. i have been watching this thread develop all day !

This is the worlds best FORD site (as has been said) now I hate rules but they work and I hate politics but I am sure if I typed in worldpolitics.com...... well

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 08-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Exactly!

I dont get it. If you feel so strongly for about something, get off you ar$e and go protest. Most people DGAF and are on here for knowedge and a good time.

Its like all those personal threads, "oh my life is going down the toilet", "my Gf split up with me", FFS; if you want some councilling then go pay for it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #20
XRchic
Hello

Quote:

All I am saying is that our political leaders need to be held accounatble for their actions cause if we don't, no one will. And if that involves discussion of topics like the military's use of DU, then so be it.

I do regularly post to political forums, but I for one feel that it is necessary to generate public debate on a much wider stage than just a political forum
I take it you havent seen the result of some of the threads around here which were started about politics? I remember quite a few and how they ended up. Basically, there was NO healthy debate, there was no intelligent discussion, there were very minimal relevant facts... instead has always been a lot of uninformed opinions, incorrect facts, emotional ranting, ridiculous conspiracy theories and generally a lot of people making judgements with absolutely no knowledge at all.

Too many people who get involved in these threads think that just because they dont like something, then it is bad. They dont understand how things work, but they dont like it so they get cross. Often the few people who do know what they are on about, and who comment and try to help just get flamed and judged. It gets nasty.

People come on here to discuss Fords. If they end up talking about politics, it is because they have been drawn into it - not because they logged on with that intent. If people WANT to discuss it, then they will not log into a Ford site, but will go elsewhere.

It just gets nasty, it serves no purpose, no one learns anything about how our country is run and people become more antagonistic than ever about some issues.

There is just nothing to be gained by it, because there wont be any useful debate generated, just fellow Ford fans becoming unnecessarily agro with each other over something most of them know nothing about.

I hope that answers your question (this is just my opinion though, I dont speak for Admin or Moderators).

: Cobra :
Old 11-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #21
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

What is that saying...'if you don't like it, leave.' :alien2:

There is fun in the Bar, people who dont understand 'car' and 'Ford' people think we are all the same 'sort'. Reading about something completely off topic, confirms my opinion that there are all types of people on this forum and not all 'rev-heads' are the same! I cant imagine a thread going 'yeah i agree' 'thats funny, me too!' 'no way! so do i'... _

BUT when you come onto the site you know the rules. I know sometimes I am on a thread, which you can see is digging its hole deeper and deeper. Sometimes I have seen threads closed and go 'thats funny, wonder why they did that?' but there is so much more on here, that in the end, im just glad im able to be a part of it. :

I think the moderators do a great job on here. Once at 1am in the morning(procrastinating uni student) I realised my other half posted a pic of our ute and the number plate was visable, realised i wanted it blanked out, but the 'edit post' time limit had expired. I sent a PM to a SpoolMan and at 2am he fixed it up, no problems at all!

Although you may not always like a decision a mod has made, you should at least respect that when you register you agree to the terms and conditions of the forum, further you should respect those people who keep this great forum going.

(wow... that sounds like some major kissing of the behind!!
Brownie Points for Jennifer?!?! : lol)

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #22
Sledgehammer
Banned

Politices and Fun never mix, speak Ford only leave everyting else to some other forum
Old 12-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #23
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

It's like trying to argue against your mother, you think you may be right but you'll never win :P so just go according to the rules
Old 12-08-2006, 02:49 AM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
It's like trying to argue against your mother, you think you may be right but you'll never win :P so just go according to the rules
Thats true my mother told me if i didnt like it, I had the option of packing my bags and moving on somewhere else.
At the time I to hought I was right, I found out a few years later that not to be the case.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 12-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #25
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a dumb Question.... What is a DU weapon...

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 12-08-2006, 04:03 PM   #26
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Depleted Uranium

In military applications, when alloyed, Depleted Uranium [DU] is ideal for use in armor penetrators. These solid metal projectiles have the speed, mass and physical properties to perform exceptionally well against armored targets. DU provides a substantial performance advantage, well above other competing materials. This allows DU penetrators to defeat an armored target at a significantly greater distance. Also, DU's density and physical properties make it ideal for use as armor plate. DU has been used in weapon systems for many years in both applications.

Depleted uranium results from the enriching of natural uranium for use in nuclear reactors. Natural uranium is a slightly radioactive metal that is present in most rocks and soils as well as in many rivers and sea water. Natural uranium consists primarily of a mixture of two isotopes (forms) of uranium, Uranium-235 (U235) and Uranium-238 (U238), in the proportion of about 0.7 and 99.3 percent, respectively. Nuclear reactors require U235 to produce energy, therefore, the natural uranium has to be enriched to obtain the isotope U235 by removing a large part of the U238. Uranium-238 becomes DU, which is 0.7 times as radioactive as natural uranium. Since DU has a half-life of 4.5 billion years, there is very little decay of those DU materials.

source: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/du.htm

Old 12-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #27
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Casper......

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 12-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted as it was basicly the same as casper's post

Last edited by flappist; 12-08-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Casper beat me to it
Old 12-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #29
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dumb Question #2.... I would imagine that DU would be safe to handle, short term. But what about handling DU on the long term. Is there a posibility of being effected by radation

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
I have a dumb Question.... What is a DU weapon...
Depleted uranium or Dirty uranium.