Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
Cooper69S

Default rattly when cold

gday all... my AUII forte v8 seems very rattly when its cold. I've only had the car 3 weeks... my EF I6 used to have the same sort of symptoms but they only lasted for a few seconds after starting the car. The AU seems to take quite a while (up to several minutes) before it quietens down - seems to last almost until its up to normal running temp. I just did an oil change but that didn't seem to make any difference. its only done 135000km so i wouldn't have thought it would be a wear problem - unless the cops really wore it out when they owned it...?? any thoughts?
thanks

Geoff

Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Is it a rattle, or more like a ticking noise? Does it increase with revs, or decrease? If it's an increasing in sound ticking, then it could be loose exhaust manifold, or blown/torn manifold gaskets.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Cooper69s, what sort of Oil Filter did you use? some of the CHEAP ones have no non-retunr valve and when you start the car, the oil pump has to prime. Ryco ones used to be like that. Old holden motors were a classic for that.

If you DID use a good filter then I would be checking the Oil pump and drive?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Cooper69S

i used a valvoline filter - they ok? It does sound more like an oil problem to me than a manifold/gasked problem - its just a generally noisy engine until it warms up then its fine (until that solenoid ticking starts)
Old 18-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i had my ea i6 it did it a fair bit as well for a while, i tried some nulon lifter free and tune up, that made it a lot better. I think supercheap sells it for about $10 - $15 a bottle. it basically cleans all the old oil and crap out of the lifters...as the name states...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
gday all... my AUII forte v8 seems very rattly when its cold. I've only had the car 3 weeks... my EF I6 used to have the same sort of symptoms but they only lasted for a few seconds after starting the car. The AU seems to take quite a while (up to several minutes) before it quietens down - seems to last almost until its up to normal running temp. I just did an oil change but that didn't seem to make any difference. its only done 135000km so i wouldn't have thought it would be a wear problem - unless the cops really wore it out when they owned it...?? any thoughts?
thanks

Geoff
My AU V8 has only done 120,000km .. has been regularly serviced .. always had anything fixed in a timely fashion .. and it's got serious problems. Most likely gudgeon-pin noise .. which started about 10,000km ago like the noise you are describing. Windsors are not the dependable rock I hoped they were.

Sorry to be a gloom-and-doom merchant. I hope you find your problem and it's a simple fix!

Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
Cooper69S

i'm not entirely sure what gudgeon pin noise would sound like... it probably sounds more like lifter noise to me - i'll grab some of that nulon stuff and see if it makes a difference... can't hurt i spose...
thanks

G
Old 18-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Windsors are not the dependable rock I hoped they were.
One engine does not mean all Windsors are not dependable. Mine has done 150k and (touch wood) is still going strong. It's not like it's a Gen3 with major oil burning issues.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
sednwol

Quote:
its just a generally noisy engine until it warms up then its fine (until that solenoid ticking starts)
At least there is a known fix for that.
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
One engine does not mean all Windsors are not dependable
Yep I agreed .. but as far as I can tell the last of the 5.0s in Oz were a bit of a hit-and-miss affair as they were stockpiled after Explorer production ceased. Some of our "issues" could be related to this; Tickford engines excempted .. ?
Most "older" engines I have dealt with - eg. 327 Chevs (x2), 318 Chryslers (x numerous), 383 Chrysler (x1), 351C (x3), 343 AMC (x1), 360 AMC (x1) etc - have managed to thru 100,000miles without any major mechanical problems (AFAIK) .. and typically with a fair degree of neglect in their later lives. If my 5.0L gets to 160,000km I'd be very surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It's not like it's a Gen3 with major oil burning issues.
Had that too .. I suppose I'm just lucky! But In my case the engine decided to misbehave INSIDE warranty, not 20,000km OUTSIDE it like my AU :(

Anyway, if this is a lifter problem then hopefully that's not a big issue. Kepp us informed.

Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post