Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-12-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Angry God Damn E-series!!!!

Well I was out driving tonight with a couple mates, lots of cars out and all having a good time. :eclipsee_
I pulled into a park and when i pushed the clutch in I heard a clunk noise. Straight away I checked the firewall for cracks...nothing, all good there. So i jumped back in and pushed the clutch in few times...all good. We sat there for a while, then I went to start the car and push the clutch in...CLUNK!! Turns out the clutch cable has snapped! So we had to crawl home in second gear!
Now I'm gonna have to pull money out of my second account and get a new clutch cable. Whats a rough price of these? And is it a job that can be easily done by the inexperienced or should I just get the pros to do it?

Braden

Old 30-12-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure on price, but very easy to replace
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
not sure on price, but very easy to replace
are you able to elaberate on the how to please!!
Old 30-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well at the gear box end the cable has a small cylinder shaped thing on it, that hooks into the hook shaped bit which comes thru the clutch fork, i'm pretty sure it just hooks onto the pedal at the other end
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Soon as you look at it Branden, you should know how to do it or that you don't want to. Just have a look and you should figure it out. It is quite easy.

As for price, I think I payed $60 for the last one I bought.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they cost about $60 -$70 for a new cable...
Old 30-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
Damo
Banned

last one I bought was $69 very easy job to replace just a split pin in the clutch pedal and back off the nut on the firewall. I think I have a spare laying in my garage, but you are ages away so it wouldn't be worth you while.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #8
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Sure its the cable and not the clutch fork or the insulator attached to it. I've seen heaps of those stuff up too.
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

hmm well since this one is broken i might have a look tomoro and see if i can manage to take it right off.

when you take it off the gearbox end, are you best to get under the car or is it easier to do it from the engine bay?
Old 30-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
Sure its the cable and not the clutch fork or the insulator attached to it. I've seen heaps of those stuff up too.
yeah im sure as i pulled the whole cable out through the firewall!!
Old 30-12-2006, 12:47 AM   #11
John_LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
hmm well since this one is broken i might have a look tomoro and see if i can manage to take it right off.

when you take it off the gearbox end, are you best to get under the car or is it easier to do it from the engine bay?
has to be done under the car, you will see the black plastic box it goes into. lift up the lid and basicly unhook the cable from the prongs in there.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:50 AM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
has to be done under the car, you will see the black plastic box it goes into. lift up the lid and basicly unhook the cable from the prongs in there.
ah ok. that makes a bit of sence! well i'll check it out in the morning. if i can get this one off it'll give me confidence that i can get the other one on!!
Old 30-12-2006, 12:53 AM   #13
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Quote:
lol yeah fair enough!
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #14
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

go to burson auto parts. $55

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 01:27 AM   #15
89 S-PACK

also theres a clamp holding it in place midway on the steering rack.... pain in the *** to get the screw out but worth putting it back on with the tin clip... stops it rattling and snagging on stuff if your car is low

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 03:01 AM   #16
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 S-PACK
also theres a clamp holding it in place midway on the steering rack.... pain in the *** to get the screw out but worth putting it back on with the tin clip... stops it rattling and snagging on stuff if your car is low
Use any small screw you can find.

Easy as to replace.

I've got $5 on the insulator on the clutch fork being rooted. They are so brittle when they get old.

$10 says your cable is fine.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #17
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Dosnt really sound like the clutch cable mate I would go out and check again!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #18
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well if this doesn't confirm the cable is broked then nothing will.
Old 30-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #19
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Use any small screw you can find.

Easy as to replace.

I've got $5 on the insulator on the clutch fork being rooted. They are so brittle when they get old.

$10 says your cable is fine.
you can pay me next cruise mate! heres the proof, the cable is rat s h i t! i'll check the insulator later on.

and heres the pedals:
Old 30-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #20
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

quick update.

got under the car, well your all right, its easy as p i s s to take off! the clutch fork seems to be ok, nothing is snapped etc.
heres a pic of the pedal end of the cable, is this how it should look or not?

this is the end that made the clunk noise!
Old 30-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #21
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

looking at the first pic, id say thats the problem, it happened to me aswell, the plastic comes away from the inside of the cable sleeve, and stops the cable sliding inside the sleeve

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #22
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

ok i went into burson auto parts, i took the cable in too, the guy had a look and said the cable is ok, everything is there but the cable wont last too much longer as the plastic has come away from the cable and it will wear.
so i came home and had another look at the pedal.
i found this:

the bit where the cable connects too has snapped, i new something snapped!! theres also the pin that holds this bit on and theres a 'U' shaped clip.
i forget how this clip goes on, can someone help me with how all these bits go together?!!

also i spose i owe shuresm58 his $10 back!! _2:
Old 30-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #23
John_LS1

i always had a spare one of those clips in my car when i had it. its a common problem...not to expensive from ford either.
Old 30-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #24
Christiaan

God i hate being right :(
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 30-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #25
John_LS1

Quote:
you are only half right, you said that the insulator was broken but it was the beavis clip which was...
Old 30-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #26
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Its tuff being perfect, i have the same problem all the time! :

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #27
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmanul
Its tuff being perfect, i have the same problem all the time! :
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Nah, in all seriousness, it takes a bit of bloody force to break the clutch cable. Like, it would need to have been pretty stuffed, ie: sliced by a rock under the car, to break. The components on either side of the cable as **** weak, and will usually break first.
Old 30-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #28
Damo
Banned

that's the clutch cleavis, they are about $12 from Ford with new bushes. The 2 yellow bushes sit in the D shape slots and that slides over the top of the cluth pedal where you removed it from, the split pin goes through a hole in the pedal to make sure it doesn't come off. Also make sure you have put the cable through the cleavis before you re-install it.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #29
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

update:

just been at the wreakers and found a new cleavis clip. the panel van i got it off also had a plate over the firewall where it had too cracked through. the cleavis clip had been repaired with bronze over the 'U' shaped bit at the end. it feels really stong compared to the old one! cost me $4!! i previously went back to burson auto parts but they dont stock this clip. not sure if i said before but they charge $78 for a clutch cable. whoever said $55 got a bargain!

so now i have re connected the cable to the gearbox, i also had a second look over it and nothing is broken there. now i just gotta re connect it to the pedal. my old clip only had 1 bush, well what i can see anyway. i grabbed another from the wreakers so i have 2 now. just a quicky, would this have anything to do with why my clutch pedal is so stiff?

ok so where to now. i'm able to put in the bushes and place the clip over the pedal bracket. just not sure how to put the split pin in. i looked for a hole but i'm yet to find it. also what with that other clip, have a look in that pic, not sure where that goes?
Old 30-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #30
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

ok so the cleavis clip is on, the split clip is on, adjusted the nut. now i just need to know where this 3rd clip goes. oh and i can only fit 1 bush on. it looks as tho theres something built into the rod, i'm not sure but i cant fit 2 bushes on, i tried but it covers the whole for the split pin to go through and it wont push any further down the rod.
seems to be ok, just need to know about the 3rd clip please!