Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Default AU ECON/POWER Button

I have just done about 800k's to sydney and back over the last two days. I am still driving on the old trans and engine (doing surprisingly well).
On the way back the trans was still complaining and I was being gentle on the throttle. Although down through bells line of road the hills were eaten up with the turbo. It was awsome to have that elastic type power slinging me up hills past N/A Cars that were working hard, while I was doing 2300 rpm in an overdrive gear!. If thats what 135RWKW feels like - I love it and I want more.

I wondered what would happen if I pressed the econ button (switch to power) and hey presto! I now have a trans that shifts though the gears! Not ideal (still flares a little some times) but working a hell of a lot better than on the ECON setting.

So my question is What does this ittle button do? does it increase line pressure for the trans? or does it just hold the gears out longer (this is what I have believed for some time)
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Ray
FORD POWER!!

As far as I know, it just holds the gears out longer in power mode.

Soon to come - XR rear wing, cat back exhaust - maybe a body Kit or a lowering job
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

MMM.
If that is the case then I dont get why it works on that setting and not on econ.

I wonder if the power setting will eventually become the same as the econ as I shag the trans further?

Roy
Old 14-06-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Any other thoughts on why this has worked?
Old 14-06-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

What i've have noticed with the Econ mode is that it keeps the revs to a minimum, therfore it changes gears earlier. I've also noticed that when in Normal mode it's much easier to knock back a gear (using the accelerator) when overtaking or ascending a hill, a slight tap of the accelerator easily makes it drop a gear. In Econ mode you need to put your foot almost to the floor to get it to respond, then it will knock down a gear. So i guess by keeping the revs low it improves fuel economy.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Well the power economy button does quite a few things and is quite a good feature really.

Have a look at the doc below from our site which runs through the changes in shift patterns and torque converter lock up speeds.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/pub_ima...to%20Shift.jpg
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 05:49 PM   #7
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For around town, it's actually better for your transmission to keep it in power. You could see an extra 15-50,000 kms added on to it's life. According to some Mechanics.

I find, I get the same amount of economy on either.
Old 14-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
For around town, it's actually better for your transmission to keep it in power. You could see an extra 15-50,000 kms added on to it's life. According to some Mechanics.

I find, I get the same amount of economy on either.
I get better economy out of ECO mode on long trips. But around town I find little difference in the VCT mtr Ghia

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #9
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup definately on long trips, where you barely see under 70km/h stick to the ECON mode, as your practically stuck in 4th gear.

In Econ mode, the transmission always try to get in a high gear (to save fuel). But while doing so, it labours the tranmission, because it tries to stay in the higher gear, even at a small speed. Putting it in power, makes sure you stay in the right gear at low speeds = Less stress on the transmission = Longer life.

You can certainly tell the difference, and notice the up-changes much earlier in econ.
Old 14-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #10
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

What you have all said is reflected in my driving experience, what I dont get is why the power mode works better with boost - I willl look at jonbays link.
Old 14-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
Any other thoughts on why this has worked?
Mate the power button does make the car go harder. My DEV 4 felt like it had no guts in economy and the power button seemed to make the car rev harder and produice beter power from the cam.Probably the same as your car..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #12
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Yeh my car feels dead in economy changing up early and slow and slugging away at 1800-2500rpm right off the end of the powerband.

This is where a hi stall 2400rpm converter will pick things up a bit too of course.

Its nice to have a choice when you feel like cruising on double demerit weekends
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
TazzieTim

A couple of weeks ago before I purchased my AU 2 I could not work out what was wrong with it. I would pull over on the side of the road and excellerate to 100 kph and the thing would just not rev out through the gears. The last time I tried it I gave it a boot full of acceleration to try and get it to rev to at least 4000 rpm it still would not do it and sounded as if it was really labouring to free itself . I was a bit exasperated and was starting to re-consider if I would buy the car at all and then realised it was it Economy mode. I flicked the switch and it made a huge difference.
Since that occasion I dont like Econ mode at all and leave it in power mode all the time. In this mode the auto box appears very smart and seems to know exactly when it needs to change. I like the way it downchanges on a long hill with just a little accelerator input especially when the car has a full load.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 01:27 AM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I use ECON most of the time around the city and stuff ... I find the shifts in NORM/POWER mode to be a bit "flarey" and nowhere near as smooth.

I do use the POWER mode on hills a bit ... especially downhill as it will kick back for me too ... and also when loaded with stuff in the back of the ute doing courier work ... it pulls better on hills ... and also with heafty weight on the shifting seems to be smoother as well (Strange indeed).

If i want it to hold gears longer and shift sharper I will use the POWER mode ... but mostly use ECON ... especially in bumper to bumper traffic ... cos it is smoother to use.

Am going to do a service on the auto box soon ... as I do use it (sometimes abuse it) a lot with load on as well ... I want it to last me a while.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #15
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

I Have Also Found That The Trans Will Hold Gears For A Lot Longer And Rev For Ages
Old 18-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #16
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

I have also found that in econ mode the car stays in gearss a lot longer and revs for ages with only a slight increase in speed. bloody engine sounds like a giant turbine vacuum or something. burns through the fuel like a jet. the best thing i reckon about the econ mode is, i never drive with it on until i have about 1/4 tank left. keeps the tank full for a lot longer than having it orf
Old 22-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #17
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Can, uh, anyone tell me where the freaking power button IS on the AU? Previous seller didnt give me the owners manual so i'm at a loss trying to find it. Is it on the console or where?

ps: Standardau, the baby seagulls are the ones with brown feathers :alien2:
Old 22-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #18
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

The Economy Switch changes the valve body presure in the gearbox which in turn holds the gears longer when accelerating = more revs = more power.
I dont find any difference between power (normal) and economy. Maybe thats cause i thrash the *** out of it all the time so the computer is use to it.
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #19
Ray
FORD POWER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle-F
Can, uh, anyone tell me where the freaking power button IS on the AU? Previous seller didnt give me the owners manual so i'm at a loss trying to find it. Is it on the console or where?

It should be on the Center console, next to the T-Bar shifter. it's a little black button that says "ECON"

Unless your AU is a manual, is which case, there isn't one :P

Soon to come - XR rear wing, cat back exhaust - maybe a body Kit or a lowering job
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 02:56 PM   #20
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Unless your AU is a manual, is which case, there isn't one :P
Or an XR, or T-Series (& Maybe some Fairlanes/LTDs), because then you'll have the Adaptive Shift.
Old 22-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #21
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:

As LG said, you have an XR6 so you have adaptaslug. Where the sticker on the trans tunnel is was the spot for the switch.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #22
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Yea its an AUII XR6 VCT. So how do I get it into power mode?? I've tried flooring it plenty of times but it still stays in economy...
Old 22-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #23
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adaptive Shift is pretty much what it sounds like. The transmission and gear changes adapt to your driving style. So you have a very flexible mode, that can cover all types of driving. You can however change out of Adaptive shift, and select a specific mode like a normal Falcon, through your Cluster/Dash.

Follow these steps:
http://www.aufalcon.com/Articles/adapt.htm

Stick her in PEF, and put your foot down, & hold on.

We only have two: Slow like a turtle, or Road Runner style
Old 22-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #24
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Adaptive Shift is pretty much what it sounds like. The transmission and gear changes adapt to your driving style. So you have a very flexible mode, that can cover all types of driving. You can however change out of Adaptive shift, and select a specific mode like a normal Falcon, through your Cluster/Dash.

Follow these steps:
http://www.aufalcon.com/Articles/adapt.htm

Stick her in PEF, and put your foot down, & hold on.

We only have two: Slow like a turtle, or Road Runner style
Delicious, thank you. Bring on the ROOOADD RUNNNER!!!! :evil3:
Old 22-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #25
nugget01
95EFAIRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
What you have all said is reflected in my driving experience, what I dont get is why the power mode works better with boost - I willl look at jonbays link.

power mode works better boost , because it creates boost. the more revs you pull the more your turbo will spool up.
Some one may have said this already but I couldnt be bothered reading them all :
nugget01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #26
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

*bump*

I've tried the directions as stated in that piece to get 'er into PEF mode, but I still can't do it! Can anyone with an XR6 VCT Auto give any tips on doing it right??
Old 24-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #27
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Works on mine
The AU1 doesnt diplay Perf on the cluster though.

Old 24-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #28
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Works on mine
The AU1 doesnt diplay Perf on the cluster though.
Ah ok, but does it still display the "ECON" on the cluster?
Old 24-06-2005, 05:54 PM   #29
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Ah ok, but does it still display the "ECON" on the cluster?
nope, AU1 XR's display nothing.

Old 25-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #30
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

got perf mode working, cheers.

goes like a cut snake now