Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Default Almost an MPS. NSW P-Plate laws.

Gday guys, been a long time between drinks.

I have a couple of things I need cleared up here, hopefully in a hurry.

First, I've managed to come across a great example of a Mazda 6 MPS, and I'm looking to buy it (should be happening in a couple of days, give or take). A couple of issues with that though-

-It's a turbo and I'm on my Ps for the next few months. A minor sticking point would be me not being able to drive the thing for that time because it's a Turbo. Is there any way around this? I highly doubt it, but I thought here would be a good place to ask. Maybe appeal to common sense from the RTA. (BAHA, yep. That's gonna happen) Yes. I'll have a whinge about that. It makes less power than any FG Falcon, has more airbags, 4WD, ASM, traction, the whole lot. I'm not buying this cause it goes like clappers, I'm buying it cause it's DAMN nice for the price and mechanically great. What I can't work out is why a car like this isn't allowed, when an FG is fine. Or a Golf R32 is allowed when the GTi isn't. The way air enters the combustion chamber simply shouldn't have such a massive weighting whether or not someone is able to drive a car when a 40 year old kingswood bomb is OK. </rant>

-Even if I can't drive it, and I'm happy to garage it for a while.. can I even register the car? Can I even buy it and sign the papers? Or will I need to get a family member to do that for me?

Its very much a rule to ridiculed in my opinion. And I know that I'm jaded a little by this experience, however it's not common sense at all. Any info that you guys have would be fantastic, thanks a bunch

Old 23-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Almost an MPS. NSW P-Plate laws.

I don't know if it's the same for cars, but for bikes here in the ACT, if you are not legally allowed to ride it (exceedings the limit of your licence conditions), you can't put it in your name and you cannot insure it. Nothing stopping you from buying it, but how long do you have to transfer it into your name. Will it be ok to sit for a few months?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
StrokedXT
Banned

It's easier to just say no v8 and turbos then actually put any thought into the policy. Legally gonna have to Park it for a few months but personally just drive it and be careful.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

I was going to buy it on Monday, all going well.

its quite insane I can't register it or insure it. I would expect those to be void if I were to drive it outside my driving conditions on my license, but see no reason why I shouldn't be able to own something :|
Old 23-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd look into it some more mate..up here in QLD you can buy register and insure turbo or v8s on your p plates..just expect Police to pull you over every 5 seconds if you do drive it on your P's and its registered in your name and even though insurance will take your coin it will be void if you prang it.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
It's easier to just say no v8 and turbos then actually put any thought into the policy. Legally gonna have to Park it for a few months but personally just drive it and be careful.
Yeah, not gonna take the chance there.

Penalties (7 points and ~350 buck) ain't worth it.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford.boy
First, I've managed to come across a great example of a Mazda 6 MPS, and I'm looking to buy it (should be happening in a couple of days, give or take).
I owned one for 3 years, just sold it recently. A very capable car. They depreciate like a FPV though :( Hope you're getting a good price on it.

Can't help with the laws for P-platers. But I'd say you would have to park it in the garage for a bit.

I traded a XR6T to buy one, regretted it too. Nothing wrong with the car, but for me the XR was more enjoyable.

You can find more MPS owners here http://www.ozmpsclub.com/
Old 23-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I owned one for 3 years, just sold it recently. A very capable car. They depreciate like a FPV though :( Hope you're getting a good price on it.

Can't help with the laws for P-platers. But I'd say you would have to park it in the garage for a bit.

I traded a XR6T to buy one, regretted it too. Nothing wrong with the car, but for me the XR was more enjoyable.

You can find more MPS owners here http://www.ozmpsclub.com/
Ahh, this is why I love this place.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Ahh, this is why I love this place.
Got any questions about MPS ownership just send me a PM.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
MexicanBatman
Banned

Solution

Wait said few months, then everyone is happy!
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Problem: I'm not going to get such a car for the price in that time ;)
Old 23-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'd buy it and just park it up, if you're not going to drive it and it is in a secure place then I wouldnt even bother insuring it or regoing it until it's ready to hit the streets with you behind the wheel.

Good luck with it too, I certainly wouldn't say no to one.
Old 23-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

be a rebel,,buy it and drive it
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
worm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would just buy it, get the rego back... Wait until you are ready to drive it, re-register it... Get insurance in someone elses name who is 21+
Old 23-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

(I'm 25)

(Edit: actually 24, bugger. I'm fogetting my age)
Old 23-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
Danny
GT4.

If you register it in a business name in Vic, you are allowed to drive it, although it isn't well known, and Plod frowns upon it.

Just drive it for a few months, you'd be unlucky to get pulled up, an MPS isn't a cop attraction device.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
StrokedXT
Banned

Insure it even if it's parked up you just never know what might happen, saying don't insure it is bad advice.

At least that way it's covered for fire, theft, and flood damage.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #18
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Insurance is happening for sure. A car is a car, no matter its kilometers per week.
Old 24-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
Insure it even if it's parked up you just never know what might happen, saying don't insure it is bad advice.

At least that way it's covered for fire, theft, and flood damage.
No it's not bad advice it's just another opinion. And i would have no worries doing it if I was confident and happy in the location of the car.
Old 24-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
my03ba

nothing is stopping you at the rta buying a turbo car i had a xr6t rego'd and insured in my name when i was 18 and still on my reds so its possible but remember if ya start driving when on your p plates and crash you will have no insurance and will lose your license i found out the hard way lol
Old 24-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a stupid rule tbh. But the RTA and who ever makes the rules seam to know Nothing about cars.

I was looking at buying a V8 4x4 on my p's. But legally couldn't so i kept my v6 sedan which was faster then the v8 4x4
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #22
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Bought my V8 4 months before I could drive it, was in my name etc etc and Department of Transport didn't care as long as I paid them money, I just wasn't allowed to drive it on the road until I had my opens.

If you've been disqualified and they put you back on your P2's then you technically CAN drive V8's and turbo cars, under the assumption that you obtained your P's before any restriction laws governing turbos and V8's came into play... at least that's how it works up here in QLD.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Have you priced insurance on it yet?

IIRC, when I was looking at one a few years ago, was going to cost me $3000pa to insure - and I was 37, rating 1. But then, I live in Sydney. :\
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #24
phil.50thxr6
White 50

My brother had a black one traded it in on hes xr6t ute, awesome car it was, but he said the xr6t is much more fun to drive
Old 24-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #25
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Have you priced insurance on it yet?

IIRC, when I was looking at one a few years ago, was going to cost me $3000pa to insure - and I was 37, rating 1. But then, I live in Sydney. :\
1800 per year by the quotes I've had. I don't live in the CBD though.

Edit: 69th post teehee
Old 24-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #26
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't help you with the paperwork side of things, but I've owned a MPS 6 since new in 2005 and its been brilliant. Bullet proof and still a great car inside and out. The worse critisim would be the high beam which is really not much better than holding a candle out the window. Falcon and Territory are both several times better when it comes to high beam at least.

I think a Falcon Turbo in FG guise is actually a bit more fun too, as the AWD setup on the 6 means you have to be doing some pretty extreme driving to get the same fun factor. That said they are very safe and for a young fella like yourself, the good balance and setup of them will help keep you out of trouble on the roads., while still having fun. They are also very reasonable on fuel, given their performance.

Nothing in the way of a 6 from Mazda has matched them since.

Just be aware the 2005 models had a more sports oriented clutch setup in them. A lot of people had trouble with it and were always stalling the car etc. Subsequent years had a different clutch setup that was easier to master. Either way the clutch won't be mechanically an issue, its just the feel. Some 2005 owners had the clutch replaced free of charge by Mazda if they couldn't get use to it. Mine has the original clutch and I think its fine, although some friends who drive the car will stall it on the first go.

Really no worse and actually less annoying then riding the clutch to get around the driveline shunt in my BA GT years ago.

Anyway if you have found a good example, buy it and put it in the garage until you can drive it. They are an excellent car and a very good second hand buy. As someone else pointed out they do depreciate much like an FPV, so you get real value from them as a second hand buyer. Servicing costs are reasonable and unless you plan to thrash it and dump the clutch at every street light, they are very reliable.

I think its been the most trouble free performance car I've owned. Check out the Ozmazda forum as suggested for some more advice. Let Mazda know you have the car too, as they like to keep in touch with owners.

Dan

Last edited by DanielXR8; 24-07-2011 at 06:33 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Check out the Ozmazda forum as suggested for some more advice. Let Mazda know you have the car too, as they like to keep in touch with owners.

Dan
How would I go about that?

I don't plan to drive it hard, that's for sure. I'm a bit of a granny, but I like the room to breath is I want the power.

Regarding the clutch, this is a 2006 model.. and I've driven manuals my whole life so I'm ok with touchy clutches.
Old 24-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
1800 per year by the quotes I've had. I don't live in the CBD though.

Edit: 69th post teehee
Jeebus, thats a lot.
Old 24-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #29
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Jeebus, thats a lot.
I had many many more before the Forums went through the change in about 2004. if I remember correctly. When I was a whipperschnapper.
Old 24-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #30
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Jeebus, thats a lot.
I'm trying to get Insurance quotes on an AU3 XR8 ute and the quotes all come back more than the XR5 and the value insured for is half the value of the 5. I
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post