Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Interesting Talk with Ford Salesman in LA.

The wife and I were in America recently. Went into a large LA Ford dealership.
Salesman asked us "what vehicle were we interested in" I said " we are from Australia and just looking at cars we don't get." He said" Ford Australia is closing down and the Falcon will be no more" "'Replacing it with the Mustang makes no sense, Falcon isn't comparable with the Mustang ,the Taurus is comparable.."I said " how do you know " he said" Dealership gets a monthly report on Ford around the world, it was in that." !!
He showed us the Fusion(Mondeo), (we should have had that a year ago.) when we get it, it will be ready for a Mk2. The Fusion Titanium is $38k drive away or as a plug in hybrid, $41k. But what got us was the Expedition LTD is $55k and comes with electric folding side steps, electric tailgate, electric folding third row seats. etc etc. Shouldn't be hard to fit those to the Territory Titanium??? for an extra $3k you cab add 15"'s to the Expedition.!!! THATS BIG!!!! The Excursion has a V10 option !! He also showed us the C-Max Hybrid. The Raptor is awesome standing still, it has presence .. !!!They would be nice here!!! Very informative salesman, didn't mind showing us around vehicles, when not a buyer.
Ford are going to have to price the Mustang reasonably, not gouge. If the V6 is $25k drive away in LA, Ford should get it for around $20k..making it about $35k driveaway...I live in hope !!!! It was an experience driving in LA !!!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
dirtyclevo

Default Re: Interesting Talk with Ford Salesman in LA.

replacing a 4 door sedan with a 2 door sports coupe is stupid.

its comparable with replacing a suv with a hatchback.

how pushy are the salesmen? do they know there stuff over there, or is it all sales quota bullshit.
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dirtyclevo..the salesman knew the vehicles..explained the features of the C-Max Hybrid, Fusion, Taurus, Expedition, Excursion and Lincoln Navigator. You can add another 15"'s , replace second row bench with Captain Chairs, That Lincoln is one helluva a vehicle !! $66k..How the hybrid C-Max and the Hybrid Fusion worked..We were surprised he took the time to talk to us..as we weren't customers...If living in USA he would have got a sale from us...
Old 07-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Focusfan

We should take verbal bets on the price Ford will sell the Mustang for.
I am betting on $55,000 starting price for base model.
They did the same in reverse many years ago when they exported the Capri to America. Was higher spec with more safety features, they paid
for the shipping and it sold for a lot less than here. There was an uproar
at the time and Capri sales almost stoped completely. So lets see how they handle the reverse system. As said I bet they will gouge prices.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mustang was coming (not replacing) irrespective of whether Falcon continued or not, it is a global model now.

Not sure why people cannot understand that
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Yes, ford have never said the Mustang is a replacement...nothing will be directly replacing the Falcon. The Mustang and Mondeo however will pic up some sales that the falcon would of had

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
But what got us was the Expedition LTD is $55k and comes with electric folding side steps, electric tailgate, electric folding third row seats. etc etc. Shouldn't be hard to fit those to the Territory Titanium???
See, this is what erks me...its more then just "fitting" things...

You want electric seats? Do they pass our ADR's? What need's to be changed in the floor to fit them...wiring loom?

Ditto tailgate...how the you setup the motors and actuators...

Its not a simple method.

\≡≡T≡≡/
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
dirtyclevo

if you want a RWD coupe under $50,000 you only have 3 options in australia at the moment.

bmw,
toyota
subaru

even the 370z starts at 62k, yes 62k! and thats just the basic coupe.

its a perfect position for ford to be in. if its 50k, its a bargin. compared to everything else.

should be 45k. it would be cheaper than a sleepy bmw 120i
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

We won't be getting the V6 Mustang. And the only reason we're getting it is because Ford were forced to make it a global vehicle in order to justify the spend on an all new model, otherwise it would have been curtains for it.

Whilst of course I am glad they made the decision to take it global, they're not bringing it here out of some sentimental BS or anything else about the loss of our own iconic cars.

As for the Excursion and Expedition...no diesel, no deal. Beggars belief they are still jamming huge petrol engines into these 2-3 tonne tanks

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The wife and I were in America recently. Went into a large LA Ford dealership.
Salesman asked us "what vehicle were we interested in" I said " we are from Australia and just looking at cars we don't get." He said" Ford Australia is closing down and the Falcon will be no more" "'Replacing it with the Mustang makes no sense, Falcon isn't comparable with the Mustang ,the Taurus is comparable.."I said " how do you know " he said" Dealership gets a monthly report on Ford around the world, it was in that." !!
He showed us the Fusion(Mondeo), (we should have had that a year ago.) when we get it, it will be ready for a Mk2. The Fusion Titanium is $38k drive away or as a plug in hybrid, $41k. But what got us was the Expedition LTD is $55k and comes with electric folding side steps, electric tailgate, electric folding third row seats. etc etc. Shouldn't be hard to fit those to the Territory Titanium??? for an extra $3k you cab add 15"'s to the Expedition.!!! THATS BIG!!!! The Excursion has a V10 option !! He also showed us the C-Max Hybrid. The Raptor is awesome standing still, it has presence .. !!!They would be nice here!!! Very informative salesman, didn't mind showing us around vehicles, when not a buyer.
Ford are going to have to price the Mustang reasonably, not gouge. If the V6 is $25k drive away in LA, Ford should get it for around $20k..making it about $35k driveaway...I live in hope !!!! It was an experience driving in LA !!!
But did you actually drive any of them?
A few years back we looked at a Honda MDX. Beautiful car, loaded with features, we were in love. Then we took it for a drive, unlike any Honda I had ever encountered, it just wallowed around like a barge. Yep said the salesman, that's why we're not importing the new model. The MDX was conceived, designed, and built by Acura for the North American Market. It's NOT a good or bad thing, they just like their cars different.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars built for US customers have very different suspensions than the ones that come here. The 300C is a wallower as well in the USA, as are many cars that have come here over the years. They need different settings for our crap roads.
The Impala we drove in Vegas was great, handled well for a luxury version, but could have been "tighter" I suppose. But on those freeways it was amazingly comfortable and seemed "just right".

Any US cars that come here will be very different to drive than the ones in the USA...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sorry, excuse my lack of knowledge but you mention 'adding 15"' what do you mean?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Sorry, excuse my lack of knowledge but you mention 'adding 15"' what do you mean?
15 inches - make the car longer, more room, etc.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPArKy_Dave View Post
15 inches - make the car longer, more room, etc.
Ok, so like a LWB version then. Thanks for the clarification.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
But did you actually drive any of them?
A few years back we looked at a Honda MDX. Beautiful car, loaded with features, we were in love. Then we took it for a drive, unlike any Honda I had ever encountered, it just wallowed around like a barge. Yep said the salesman, that's why we're not importing the new model. The MDX was conceived, designed, and built by Acura for the North American Market. It's NOT a good or bad thing, they just like their cars different.
I drove a few of those things, they haulled *** though for their size.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The extra 15"'s is in the back not wheelbase to give more boot space. It's built on the F250 chassis.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Excursion did have a diesel option, but the Excursion has been out of production for at least 8 years or so now. The Expedition has only a 3.5L EcoBoost now, but an all-new model is coming in a couple of years. If Ford did export the Expedition, I would imagine a diesel power plant wouldn't be hard to do.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #18
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I don't believe anyone at Ford thinks the Mustang is a direct replacement for the Falcon. If any vehicle in the lineup is actually supposed to be a "replacement," it will be the Mondeo. That is a midsize four-door sedan.

Taurus won't be going to Australia. I doubt it will be available in the US much beyond 2016.

Mustang is a sports coupe--something that Ford of Australia has not offered in any kind of volume since the hardtop days. It is not a family car. It is a fun car. It can also be a performance car.

It is not the replacement for the Falcon. It is a product line expansion.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #19
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would trollers from brasil sell in Aus? what do you people think...

Fill the cheap rugged 4wd void.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
If any vehicle in the lineup is actually supposed to be a "replacement," it will be the Mondeo. That is a midsize four-door sedan.
When I read about the aluminium Fusion (which is lighter than a Fiesta), I was thinking Ford is trying to make this the big global car.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
XM-221
Show me your boobs!

Quote:
The Raptor is awesome standing still, it has presence .. !!!They would be nice here!!!
There's three Raptors out at You Yangs undergoing testing now, you may get your wish
XM-221 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #22
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Cars built for US customers have very different suspensions than the ones that come here. The 300C is a wallower as well in the USA, as are many cars that have come here over the years. They need different settings for our crap roads.
The Impala we drove in Vegas was great, handled well for a luxury version, but could have been "tighter" I suppose. But on those freeways it was amazingly comfortable and seemed "just right".

Any US cars that come here will be very different to drive than the ones in the USA...
I'll believe that when I see it. I have a deeply ingrained prejudice against anything from America (except aircraft I guess, one of the few things they do well) on the grounds of quality for one thing but, in the case of cars, their woeful dynamics.

If Ford Aus think they can woo me off the Territory into something originated in the USA they have another thing coming. It'll be bye bye for me!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Really irks me when people say "xxxxxx is going to be replacing the Falcon..."
Nothing is going to replace the Falcon. There is no market for it.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #24
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Mustang was coming (not replacing) irrespective of whether Falcon continued or not, it is a global model now.

Not sure why people cannot understand that
Yes, that's very true.
And no point replacing a car no one is buying with the same type of car... That no one will buy.
Be like replacing a Beta player with a VHS.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing to take into account about prices is the average American income is something like $40,000 while the Australian is mid late $60,000's.
So I guess they have to charge us more because of that too, because they know they can.

I like many American vehicles, but I don't expect them to be sold here.
I think it's also partly a case of you want what you know you can't have.
If they sold all American vehicles here, there is a lot less of them that I would want.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #26
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Yes, ford have never said the Mustang is a replacement...nothing will be directly replacing the Falcon. The Mustang and Mondeo however will pic up some sales that the falcon would of had
Like all other coupes the first batch will go quickly then progressively they will sell less and less. like the 2000ish one by tickford and the hardtops and the Monaro's. they are cool as heel but an inconvenience for most people

there is and will never be a big business case for coupes. but they bring attention to the brand in the form of a halo model
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #27
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

The 2001 Mustang was limited because of the high price, due to the massive re-engineering under taken to convert them to RHD...and were only available through the almost unknown FTE dealer network...and there were no options IIRC.

12000 Monaro's over 4(ish) years isn't that bad...if it was a standalone model it looks even better...

\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 09-06-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #28
HELLOYOU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would love a Raptor
HELLOYOU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post