Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Bombl3z
Starter Motor

Default Transmission Problem

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out in determining what the problem might be and what i would have to do to fix it or whether the problem is to bad that a new box is required.

Anyways I have an 1999 Ford Falcon AU S series 1 manual.

Ok, alot of the time when i turn hard right in first the rear inside wheel bounces. Not under normal acceleration but when the tyre begins to loose traction. I believe this might be due to the super low king springs but thats not the problem. Mind you it doesn't do it when i turn hard left. I plan to get a 3.45 LSD soonish that will hopefully stop the bouncing as both wheels will spin so in effect i wont get this inside wheel trying to spin heaps in the one spot.

Ok but when i put it into 2nd and i accelerate hard and turn right it pops out of gear back into neutral. It gets fustrating cause it makes a pretty loud bang. Not hard to put it back into gear but very annoying having to do it quite often when i want to come of the lights quicker then others to change lanes or what ever i plan to do that requires a bit more power.

If anyone can help in fixing this problem it would be greatly appreciated. I live in Melbourne near the Melbourne airport so if it can be fixed at not a great cost and doesn't require a total new box and you know anyone that can do it locally please let me know also.

Also one other thing. I've just got the steering rack n pinion changed so i know there is nothing wrong with it but there is a bit of play in the steering wheel before u actaully get the wheels turning. Not very much but you can feel the slack. Is that a big job in fixing or adjusting it. Whats invovled with that also.

Much appreciated to anyone who can help.
Cheers Tom

Bombl3z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Mark One
A humorous statement

I too have a 1999 Ford Falcon AU S series 1 manual. Well I don't really know whats happening there, but my clutch completely imploded at 145000Km

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Mark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Bombl3z
Starter Motor

Hmm... mines done 140000km. Clutch I believe is fine because its been changed in the past few years to a heavy duty one. Not sure what tho. I jump into something similar and the clutch is way eazier to push in, jump back into mine and its like pushing a boulder up hill. But i've gotten use to it now and so thats alright. The gear box is just fustrating me. Been doing it for quite a while now.
Old 29-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Mark One
A humorous statement

Yea gets you use to a V8's clutch haha. Turning in one direction rips it out of second? That sounds like a really bad problem to me. I really can't think what would do that.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Mark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Bombl3z
Starter Motor

anyone???
Old 31-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

auto conversion lolol
Old 31-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombl3z
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out in determining what the problem might be and what i would have to do to fix it or whether the problem is to bad that a new box is required.

Anyways I have an 1999 Ford Falcon AU S series 1 manual.

Ok, alot of the time when i turn hard right in first the rear inside wheel bounces. Not under normal acceleration but when the tyre begins to loose traction. I believe this might be due to the super low king springs but thats not the problem. Mind you it doesn't do it when i turn hard left. I plan to get a 3.45 LSD soonish that will hopefully stop the bouncing as both wheels will spin so in effect i wont get this inside wheel trying to spin heaps in the one spot.

Ok but when i put it into 2nd and i accelerate hard and turn right it pops out of gear back into neutral. It gets fustrating cause it makes a pretty loud bang. Not hard to put it back into gear but very annoying having to do it quite often when i want to come of the lights quicker then others to change lanes or what ever i plan to do that requires a bit more power.

If anyone can help in fixing this problem it would be greatly appreciated. I live in Melbourne near the Melbourne airport so if it can be fixed at not a great cost and doesn't require a total new box and you know anyone that can do it locally please let me know also.

Also one other thing. I've just got the steering rack n pinion changed so i know there is nothing wrong with it but there is a bit of play in the steering wheel before u actaully get the wheels turning. Not very much but you can feel the slack. Is that a big job in fixing or adjusting it. Whats invovled with that also.

Much appreciated to anyone who can help.
Cheers Tom
I would be checking trans mounts and shifter fit .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
T-Pak Addict
Jim

on the steering question check the tie rod ends, they could be worn.
also check that the bolts are tight on the rack!!! I bought a EF once and the guy said the steering is a bit wondery.... 2 tightened bolts later... perfect.....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
Bombl3z
Starter Motor

Thanx guys will have a look at that Au Falcon 99.

LOL i wouldn't touch an auto Mr Hardware. Took me a while to find a manual in black especially. Very rare as use probably know so would be pointless converting it to auto.