Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Fuel issue...

*This is probably going to be long winded, so bear with me...*

Friday afternoon - I leave the driveway at work, give it a bootful (I always give it a bootful when I leave work), and to explain it in laymans terms, it "starved" the fuel on me, and I couldn't go any faster than 40km/h, didn't matter what position the throttle was in. I rang Tibbo when I got home and explained it to him, he suggested to me that it could be the fuel pump (my first thought too), and to run it on gas to make sure that I can rule out electrical/ECU problems. It ran 100%.

Saturday - I thought that maybe if it did it again, I'd change the fuel filter (hasn't been done in a while) and see what happens. Ran flawlessly, like the "starvation" problem never happened.

Yesterday - I painted my rear disc hubs and calipers, and thought that I'd go for a quick run and see if it would do it again. Wouldn't start after two tries, then it started. I stopped somewhere for a little while, then tried to start it again. Didn't want a bar of it, so I pumped the throttle after 5 tries at starting it, it went no problem.

This morning - Just like Saturday, no problem.

I'm ruling out gas and electrical, gas works fine, plugs and leads were changed not that long ago.

That leaves fuel system and ECU. I've been saying to people up here that I don't think the Unichip has been doing what it's supposed to do for a little while now. The fuel system could use a freshen up (fuel line/pump/filter).

What do you guys think?

Old 31-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe get an error code scan done as well to see if it is anything like injectors. it could also possibly be a dodgy fuel pressure regulator, sometimes it might work, sometimes it might not pressure up enough..when you turn the ignition to 'on' with it on petrol can you hear the pump start up and then stop when its pressured the line?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
when you turn the ignition to 'on' with it on petrol can you hear the pump start up and then stop when its pressured the line?
Yep, I get all of that.

And the stupid thing is, it hasn't done it again. I'm just starting to suspect it was a fuel blockage. I'm going to use some more fuel tonight, then fill up and put injecter cleaner through the system.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
sednwol

Did you only try it only once on gas? I'd try it several times on gas after all it did work on petrol. Sounds electrical to me, i'd put it to the test on the gas a few more times to definately eliminate isssues.
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Alrighty. I'm going for a burn tonight after work, so I'll do a partial gas run with that too, but I'm 100% certain that it won't be a gas problem.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

The strangest part of this story is Tibbo answering his phone...

Definately a fuel problem. I'm fairly sure that the electric pumps in those babies can intermittently fail before going entirely...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would be interesting to have a fuel presure gauge hooked up, that might give some indication.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post