Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

Default Nobody say "That'll buff right out"

Well this wasn't exactly how I imagined my first day back into studies would turn out:

It's a long story, but the other car was a VY and the driver accepted fault, that's all I can say for now. Boy do those airbags make a lot of smoke.

Old 19-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
Well this wasn't exactly how I imagined my first day back into studies would turn out:

It's a long story, but the other car was a VY and the driver accepted fault, that's all I can say for now. Boy do those airbags make a lot of smoke.
Damn... Sorry to see man. Sad part is, once air bags deploy, it usually means a stat write-off. Hope it all goes well for you man.

PS I didn't say it.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

damn mate, sorry to see, lets hope it all works out for you!

If not cash the reg, and tub the fkr! (i didn't say it)

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
Damn... Sorry to see man. Sad part is, once air bags deploy, it usually means a stat write-off. Hope it all goes well for you man.

PS I didn't say it.
The airbags going of dont make a car a stat write off do they?
If anything it will be an economical write off/repairable write off.

Sorry to see the p[rang tho hope all is ok.
JefXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Bloody Holden drivers... Hope his insurance won't stuff you around. Did you have a witness(es)?
Old 19-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

I don't want to say too much on the situation because it only just happened this morning, but I'd prefer if they wrote it off. When my last car was in an accident I just didn't love it as much after it was repaired. It was fairly stock, the only thing that I'd want out of it would be the headunit and the UHF radio and antenna, then I could get a GHIA and start over again. It's such a shame, haven't even had it for 12 months yet.

By the way, I'm okay, just a burn on my thumb from the airbag and a sore wrist. Both cars were towed so I'm heading down to the Cop Shop this afternoon to make a report.
Old 19-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mate ... the main thing is you are OK ... cars can be replaced.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hords
Bloody Holden drivers... Hope his insurance won't stuff you around. Did you have a witness(es)?
Yeah, me too. The VY was a company car and he was most definitely in the wrong, but I don't want to give any details here just yet. There were witnesses but I was in pretty bad shock and forgot to get their details. Dunno if the other guy did.

Anybody else had the airbags go off in their AU?
Old 19-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Glad you're ok man. I may be wrong, but it looks a write-off to me.
Old 19-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
Glad you're ok man. I may be wrong, but it looks a write-off to me.

If there's a crease or a buckle in the roofline ... it usually is. If the chassis is bent between the front and rear suspension ... it usually is a write-off as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
If there's a crease or a buckle in the roofline ... it usually is. If the chassis is bent between the front and rear suspension ... it usually is a write-off as well.
There is also the cost to repair vs market value equation. This is usually (not always) what the assessors go by if the affore mentioned damages haven't occured.
Old 19-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Damn , squashed the front in a fair bit , When its Insured do they give you the Money its worth and they keep the car ??

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

I guess that's how it works when it's a write off. Maybe if they repair it I can convince them it had an XR front end, hehe, just joking Mr Insurance man.
Old 19-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Damn , squashed the front in a fair bit , When its Insured do they give you the Money its worth and they keep the car ??
Most times. But you can ask for the wreck value and have that deducted from the pay-out figure if you want to keep the wreck.
Old 19-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Would make a Pretty Sweet Parts Car ... As Most of the Engine would be protected , the AIRBOX would be gone , Everything else would be ok iu guess

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
Unless you are studying to be a crash test dummy, then I'd say it turned out to be an average day..........:

Judging by the pics, definately LH skirt & rad support panel, but if the LH rail is bent (probably is) combined with the airbags, it'll probably be written off. Post a pic of the LH side if possible. Glad to hear you are ok, if not a little shaken.
Old 19-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #17
james22
With da Warlords

Damn, sorry to see it like that mate, but at least your ok Shaken but not stirred lol... I'd hate to see a forum member in the obituaries... Are you going to keep it for parts and buy another?

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

Thanks guys, yeah I'm still pretty shaken, getting better though.

As for a parts car, well as much as I'd love to do that unfortunately I have nowhere to store it and wreck it myself, so if they write it off then I'll take the cash and go from there. Who knows, they might repair it, the damage does look bad but we all know they make them to do that these days. There's a few spare cars in the family at the moment so I'll probably drive something else for a while and then look to getting a Ghia later on in the year.

Dok, nope not studying to be a Crash Test Dummy, those guys don't get paid enough, hehe. I was on my way to my first day at Uni. I'm 23 and have decided on a change of career, today was my very first day back at studies since 2003, I was really looking forward to it.

I tried to find a LHS pic but didn't seem to take any good ones (the ones I had taken are useless, too much glare from the Sun). Here are a couple of others that I took though:

On the tow truck:

The impact point on the VY:

His driver's side rear wheel was also cracked, pretty bad.

I know it looks like I was in the wrong from those pics, but once I've submitted my police report and gotten the okay from the Insurance companies then I'll go into detail about what happened and where etc...
Old 19-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #19
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

So, whats next?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So, whats next?
As in career wise or the car?

Career: Well I'm enrolled in a Bachelor of Teaching/Bachelor of Music combined degree, I've got 4 years of study and then I'll be trying to get into a secondary school as a Music Teacher. Audio Engineering is fun and all but when you have to work family-unfriendly hours and get very little money for your effort, well, something's gonna give. I could have moved to Sydney and that would have increased my job prospects in my current field but I tried that once and Damien and Sydney don't go together well, so I came back to Newcastle.

I love learning and playing music, I love working with kids and I always wanted to be a teacher, so I'm taking the chance while I still can. This accident is a minor setback, but you've got to take it as it comes.

Car: Dunno, will wait and see what the insurance company wants to do. If they repair it then so be it, I'll live with it, not much choice. If they give me the money then I'll invest it for a while, drive one of the other cars available to me at the moment and then look into getting an AU2 or AU3 Fairmont Ghia, or even a Fairlane (I need the extra boot space and who doesn't love climate control?) later in the year.
Old 19-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

yeah you're right. that probably won't buff out.
Old 19-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #22
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

That car is a mess, I'm glad you are not!

You'll probably end up with a lovely Ghia loaded to the roof with options. At least I hope you do.

Keep us posted on the insurance outcome and such.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Damien,

Do some research on what your car was worth. If the insurance company write it off they will want to pay the absolute minimum. May even pay to spend a couple hundred and get an expert independent assessment.

All the best with it,

Rob
Old 19-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #24
The Monty
Just slidin'

That AINT buffin out.
Old 19-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #25
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

I have to say though, in the Commodores defence, it came off OK didn't it?

Very minimal intrusion into the rear seat passengers space to be seen don't you think? I'd be screaming if I saw 1.6 tonnes of silver AU heading towards me through the side window!

Glad you're all right mate, and it gives you the opportunity (as GK put it) to get a loaded up S2/3 Ghia!

Cheers.
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #26
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Nice fair whack!

Good to see you came out of this walking on your own two feet, that's the main thing.
Old 19-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #27
Burley
CRE.87V

dams mate...did the crash happen at hexham....looks so from the pic....bad news buddy....hope it all goes well with ur insurance company
Burley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #28
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

series 3 fairmont ghia on ebay for 11k i think all options with 66k i think

hope it all works out.

Jake
Hibbz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #29
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn I'd buy it off you if you were closer to home. Got a bunch of parts I'd like for the 'mont.

Glad to hear you are ok.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #30
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Just checked out the ebay listed Series 3 Ghia - the guy describes it as having "every conceivable factory option" - yeah right!!

"Every conceivable factory option" except for the bodykit, 17" Tickfords, sports suspension, satnav, sunroof, Momo steering wheel......

Hmmm, basically a standard Ghia then don't ya reckon??

(Like mine in fact!!)
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post