Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 18-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default tuning jag's

Just went out to tune up our XJ6 in the front shed, following the instructions in the workshop manual.

1st problem, wrong dizzy. That or wrong firewall tags, interior, and carbies. I know whats more likely though. Series 3 XJ6's never came out with points, and nothing that comes out with points has 'danger - electronic ignition' plastered to the coil.

2nd problem. Timing out so far I can't see the marks (the indicator for which is obscured by the factory air conditioner, go figure...). Guess-o-matic'ing the dizzy position gets it to 12* running.

3rd problem, Idle too high. To be expected after you get the ignition timing nearly right when it was last adjusted with timing completely wrong.

4th problem, Out of balance. Seriously, how hard is it to feel when the throttle shaft opens both carbies near enough to simultaneously. Guess-o-maticing got me closer again. Close to 6 turns of the throttle stop screws out (as in, adjusted one 6 turns, didnt touch the other) and it is still ages out.

5th problem, impatient people. Just guess-o-matic'ed to get everything near enough to follow instructions in the book (ignition timing was so far out the idle couldnt be set as per the book (and have the car running), and can't be set accurately until the carbies are near enough), and then the car is taken for a blockie by someone who can't be bothered waiting. Despite the fact that I told them that it will be wrong, they take it anyway. Backfiring up the street. After coming back they park the car in a different spot. apparently all they wanted was to move the car, so they could move the one behind it. As a consequence of taking it for a lap, as opposed to just moving it, they have pushed me over the limit of my patience, and taken my last 10 minutes of sunshine (it goes dark really quick here) required to tune the car outside. So now I have to start again tomorow.

[/rant]

cya
Ben

*P.S: you people are lucky we aren't allowed to swear on here. anyone who has had that string of events happen will know what I am on about.

Old 18-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

http://www.jaguarforums.com

this should help ya mate

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem really isnt the car, I can work around the dizzy. The only thing it would have come from is an earlier jag, so it wont be that bad. The problem is really my impatient stepfather and his bad timing...

Last edited by BLSTIC; 18-03-2007 at 09:07 PM.
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

hahha, if only you could get a timing light on him.

have you tried ringing jaguar australia? or a jaguar dealer?
ask for the service department, they should be able to tell you.

i know if i have a problem with my car, i just ring up my local ford dealer and ask the service guys. they tell me straight away.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Local Ford guys here don't tell you squat, they won't even let you look at their (supposedly $1200 each) workshop manual. I can see the timing marks, but its a ***** of a thing trying to both see the indicator and getting the timing light on it. It's do-able though.
Old 18-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
Rollin
Banned

1: Knock out stepfather
2: Ditch jag motor
3: Insert 4.0L I6 + matching gearbox
4: ....?
5: $$$Profit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, it would be cheaper too. Unless I bought a DOHC item and Haltech'ed it. Cams, exhaust, 6throttle induction system, and a 3000rpm stall on a C4, say hi to mid 13's...

but realistically, I reckon the only way is injecting the twin cam engine that's in there. I reckon with a decent induction system and a set of extractors it should be capable of laying down 150rwhp. Would drive and sound way better too...

cya
Ben

*oh yeah, I got it tuned as well as I can, it dies at high load, and the more rpm you get, the less throttle you can use. To me that implies that there is some kind of fuel flow limitation. Probably somewhere under the main jet needle.