Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Default Ford refurbished radios

Did any of you guys know that Ford replaces factory radios/CD players on a swap basis? I'm guessing that a lot of people just replace their head units when they get a car, or when it busts, so might not know about this.

It came up because I've booked the XR6 in for its 90,000km service at Ford and the guy asked if there was anything to look at and I said, "Yes, the CD player has eaten two CDs and I think it's bust..." and he said OK and then I asked if the replacement head units were expensive, or whether it was cheaper to just put my own in. That's when he said they swap it out for a refurbished Ford unit and the cost is "low".

He didn't specify how "low" is "low" but it's intrigued me enough for the key reasons that I kinda like keeping the radio as factory standard (just a strange quirk I have), and it's not like the prestige system in the XR6 VCT is a "bad" unit, per se, anyway. I also like the idea of it maybe being cheaper than some new bling-bling head unit which is going to look out of place in the console anyway. So I will keep you guys on top of what happens when the service is done, Feb 23.

Just curious in the meantime, did you guys know that Ford will rip your old stereo out and fit a refurbished unit if it's bust?

XR Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol @ the cost being low,i rekon they wil try to sting $300 upwards for it,but i may be wrong
JefXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Speak to Fadi at ASL Logistics ... they are a forum sponsor and deal with everything relating to Ford Factory Audio.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Pistonbroke

Yes, it's been discussed. But you will be replacing it with a unit that will crap itself sooner or later. Save your pennies and get something better. In this case factory standard is sub standard!
Pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Yeah, I'm really curious to see what it will be.

I haven't committed to doing this; they have to pull out my current one and have a look at it, first. Then I guess they'll either be able to fix it (if it's something simple), or offer to stick in a refurbished unit.

What do you guys reckon a fair price would be? Remember, this is the 6 stacker in dash unit - the "prestige" set-up, as I think they call it.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Speak to Fadi at ASL Logistics ... they are a forum sponsor and deal with everything relating to Ford Factory Audio.
Thanks mate
:king:
Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

hmmm , my ford headunit must of been built on a wednesday. I hear all these storys about how unreliable & rubbish these head units are ? , yet mine is still working fine (i've probably just jinxed myself now for saying that !)..lol

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Yeah, I mean I've known of some to work for years and years and year without missing a beat. If the swap cost is reasonable, I'll be more than happy to keep the 6 disc in dash unit in the VCT.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

you usually get charged between $250-$300 for a replacement unit from ford, they send your old one away (to ASL) and they get the cd's taken out and sent back to you.

the new head unit they put in is a reconditioned one and comes with a 1 year warranty, my replacement one ended up dying about 14 months after being put in

the one in the new car is now playing funny buggers also so have to decide what to do - me thinks stuff the cd's just hook the ipod up to it
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalKeen
you usually get charged between $250-$300 for a replacement unit from ford, they send your old one away (to ASL) and they get the cd's taken out and sent back to you.

the new head unit they put in is a reconditioned one and comes with a 1 year warranty, my replacement one ended up dying about 14 months after being put in

the one in the new car is now playing funny buggers also so have to decide what to do - me thinks stuff the cd's just hook the ipod up to it
turn the car off, go to bed, get in it the next morning, and it should come good again... :

well that's what mine did :
Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
T3man
Banned

Yeah about $250 is the going rate.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
turn the car off, go to bed, get in it the next morning, and it should come good again... :

well that's what mine did :

just hope your near home when it stuffs up!

also disconnecting the battery can help some times
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Thanks for that, guys.

I'll know if they ask some stupid price above $250-ish, that they're pulling the ****.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ASL charge $280 change over....
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
amisupposed2b

Heh. I have a spare double din casette one lying around. Its not a cd one though. So I doubt if anyone wants it from the beggining. But if you do want it i know its 100% functional because I just replaced my whole sound system recently.
amisupposed2b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #16
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amisupposed2b
I just replaced my whole sound system recently.
What did you replace it with?

I've been collecting bits and pieces for a couple of weeks and just about ready to tackle it...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post