Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
G0lg0tha
Registered Cruiser

Default Help buying EF fairmont wagon..

Hi people,
Im looking at an EF fairmont wagon with duel fuel under the car.

How many Kilometres is a reasonable amount for a car that is 11 years old?

This particular one has 165 000. Is this high?

What needs replacing at this age?

Can anyone give me some tips what to look for interms of problems/areas to note?

Cheers

G0lg0tha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

165k seems fine to me, thats probably a bit below average for the age. The motor should have plenty of life left in it.

Bigger issues should be

LPG conversion (is it in decent nick and when was the tank last complianced)

Rust around the tailgate (to be honest i wouldnt touch any e-series with rust; and an EF should definately not have any rust)

Headgasket (they go whenever they wont too, pretty much- expect $400 bill - Cooland changes help)

Gearbox (im asuming its a 4speeder- could go anytime really, a dodgy one could go at 180klms or a well maintained one could do 300klms)

Shokies and other basic consumable stuff, exhaust should have done by that mileage however.

Oh yeh, make sure the Aircon works and the vacuum controls are working probably (Vacuum leaks seem to be a big EF/EL problem - Costs about $400 to fix as its a bastard of a job - wouldnt stop me buying a car, but factor it in when bargaining.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 10-04-2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Remembered more stuff
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
G0lg0tha
Registered Cruiser

Hey mate, I really appreciate your comments,
Ill take them on board ...
Would climate control work via vacuum lines or is it electronic? (or both?)
Cheers
G0lg0tha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

The climate control uses vacuum to control the vents, the blend door, which changes from hot to cold air is electric and is known to play up. If there's a vacuum leak, the vents will blow air out the windscreen.

Have a look at this doco if you want to do a test on the CC before you buy - http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=9

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
GUTLES
Adam.

GOlgOtha: I brought an ef gli wagon about a month ago with 275kms on it & it still goes well, needs new injectors but runs fine on lpg, its hard to find one under 200kms these days..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
BABOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0lg0tha
Hi people,
Im looking at an EF fairmont wagon with duel fuel under the car.

How many Kilometres is a reasonable amount for a car that is 11 years old?

This particular one has 165 000. Is this high?

What needs replacing at this age?

Can anyone give me some tips what to look for interms of problems/areas to note?

Cheers
Shocks, maybe bushes if worn, spark plugs and leads, LPG pressure leak test and tune (around $90@local LPG tuner), check rotors, transy service, oil and filter, air filter, coolant flush, maybe change diff oil, check brake pads. That should be all.
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post