Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Oops!!Just hit 6480rpm with the wagon in first gear!!

My car has an automatic box.I am still counting my lucky stars today guys. I was tuning the wagon up a little today and discovered that at 5500 to 6200 rpm my car was running very lean at 13.9 to 1 af ratios. I pulled over somewhere safe and put some fuel in .I then drove the car for a few minutes to warm it up. I pulled over to side of the motorway and when the opportunity came I logged the cars' tune at wot ..Well I ll be darned if I know how it happened as my rev limiter is at 6200 rpm but the car just loved my adjustments pulled like a jet in first gear and then bang bang...I thought I blew it up.. I pulled over in a safe spot and reviewed my data log. Phwoar!! It actually spun up to 6480 rpm!! It had gone past the 6200 rpm cutoff for some reason .

The bottom end on the wagon is a second hand stock item.The head has heavy duty valve springs and reco head.

What could possibly break in the bottom end is my main question? It was a bit scary..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 15-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I dread to think Stav.

But anything that bangs at high revs is not a sound you would want to hear, ever!

I can only assume worst case scenario, valve bounce or worse, perhaps bent rod?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

lol whoops.. sorry thats not funny at all

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
Old 15-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I dread to think Stav.

But anything that bangs at high revs is not a sound you would want to hear, ever!

I can only assume worst case scenario, valve bounce or worse, perhaps bent rod?
The rev limiter did kick in .I hope it was what the bang was .I drive the car easy so I havent experienced the rev cutout many times.I am sure it was.
It is still driving nice and normal afterwards as well.Seems normal..no noises or anything like that.
Is 6500 rpm dangerous for a stock bottom end?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 15-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Now that I think of it ,it must have been the limiter...bombom bom then felt like power was being cut ...

I have to wonder a few things now? Should I raise my rev limiter to 7000 rpm and take advantage of the torque or will I blow this engine as well?

Old 15-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

Just got off the phone with my head reco man. It was definately the limiter. Also..I will be raising my rev limiter to 7000 rpm after that astounding run..looks like I may still have some more curry left in the wagon to come.

Old 15-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just shows how strong the 4.0 I6 is

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 15-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

i reckon anything higher than 6500 will result in something flying out of your bonnet. i'd leave it as it is and take it to WSID to see what happens.
Old 15-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think you should keep ya rev limiter to a level where you feel is safe.

Unless you engine has been built to handle high rpm, I wouldnt push it.

It sounds like the rev limiter now you have mentioned it. Keep the rev limiter at the original limit you have. They do restrict power once you hit the limit. Thats what they are designed for, to stop high rpm damage.

Its up to you mate, but I would err on the side of caution

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

My head bloke said that they should be good for 7000 rpm Maybe wise to limit it at 6600rpm to be a bit more conservative.I ported the head and they did the new guides for me and skimmed it.I trust these guys.

The springs are made to take 800 lift and can rev very hard.The bottom end was my concern.

I dont want to hit the 6200rpm rev limit in frst at wsid.It will kill the potential of the car.It went off the rails so to speak.

Last edited by Stav; 15-04-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 15-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

you're keen mate. I don't like going past about 4800rpm, just starts sounding angry and not nice. It's a friggin I6, no-one buys them to get 100% out of. They buy them cos they're strong and reliable, not cos they're a performance motor.
Old 15-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

has the bottom end been balanced? are the stock rods forged or just cast? another thing is the main caps, if they dont have a decent bolt kit on them they may let go...

if your bottom end is all stock, and you blow it (assuming you dont do any damage to the head) you could just buy another bottom end and block if something goes bang...

the head sounds like the expensive bit, how much have you invested in it?

spin it up to 6600 and see what happens, and get a more accurate rev limiter!
Old 15-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have spun the Monty to 6600, as it read on the tacho anyway.
The next four runs registered at 6400, stock everything, bar intake exhaust and tune. I hit no limiters on those runs, but have hit them before, and what you described is hitting the limiter.
It didnt make any wierd sounds, or blow smoke (was filmed), or slam into gear, so I dont think there is much wrong with it, other than with me, spinning to 6400 is breaking the 100 kmh speed limit, lol.
Just dont do it often, and have the mentality that if it breaks, a whole low K AU engine is $400 from the wreckers.
Old 15-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

I should mention, that I didnt hit those in first, but in second, as I crossed the line.
Old 15-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
has the bottom end been balanced? are the stock rods forged or just cast? another thing is the main caps, if they dont have a decent bolt kit on them they may let go...

if your bottom end is all stock, and you blow it (assuming you dont do any damage to the head) you could just buy another bottom end and block if something goes bang...

the head sounds like the expensive bit, how much have you invested in it?

spin it up to 6600 and see what happens, and get a more accurate rev limiter!
The bottom end was second hand 160,000 km travelled.All stock. I didnt use the tacometer.I used a datalogger which is accurate.
I spent 12 months porting it myself the head.It had new guides installed,hi lift springs and from memory chrome moly retainers. The springs can handle big lift and big revs. I upped the compressiom a tad as well. I dont like revving the guts out of the wagon as it is daily driven work car..but it is nice to drive. It rarely sees over 5000rpm as I want it to last.
A whole au engine can be bought for 600 dollars.

Old 15-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get it on the dyno, see were power starts to die off and set limiter accordingly.
Old 15-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #17
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
my car was running very lean at 13.9 to 1 af ratios.
Wouldnt 13.9 make it rich?
Old 15-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #18
EvilChief
Boost Addict

what ecu are u tuning?

most cars have a soft and a hard limiter

the soft limiters are either cam timing retard (in VCT) or fuel cut and set about 200 to 300rpm below the hard limuter, which is ignition cut.

the banging sound most likely was ur hard limiter, if it was something more serious it wouldnt idle
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
Old 15-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #19
honer
Back to N/A land

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
Get it on the dyno, see were power starts to die off and set limiter accordingly.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Thats how its done and what I'd be doing.
Old 15-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #20
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Wouldnt 13.9 make it rich?

i wouldnt call it lean lean, but its not very rich either.

personally i target around 13.5:1 on NA cars in top end and adjust timing accordingly.

turbo cars cop around 12.5 to 13.0 :1 with appropiate timing
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 15-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #21
Stav
Smile

Evil chief..I agree with you on this one.If it was serious engine damage then the idle would most likely go stupid and i would hear clanking sound of metal to metal contact. I am tuning the eecv which has its limiter raised to 6200 from from memory.I have chucked the interceptor on top and have been fiddling with it for around 8 months now.

I really hate dynos with a passion and so it will be unlikely to go on.I can tell just by driving the car at if my adjustments are working or not.(with the aid of my data logging equipment) The only thing I need now is to buy another gtech pro meter for fine tuning to a higher scientific level.My last one was stolen:(

Last edited by Stav; 15-04-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 15-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
i wouldnt call it lean lean, but its not very rich either.

personally i target around 13.5:1 on NA cars in top end and adjust timing accordingly.

turbo cars cop around 12.5 to 13.0 :1 with appropiate timing
My car seemed to flatspot with 13.5 air fuel ratios but I suppose some cars are different.I added some fuel and left ignition timing alone.It felt much more responsive.For just an enthusiast I am treading lightly and taking notes. My main objective is reliability.For the 1/4 mile I would be mad to have the car hit the limiter when it is producing more and more torque.I will drive the car around and give it a few safe blats to see if the car keeps pulling like a jet to the limiter and decide accordingly.

Old 15-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #23
EvilChief
Boost Addict

AFAIk the interceptor does not allow to make adjustments to your throttle pumps, so once you lean certain areas out, the enrichment from a throttle pump may not be enough any more to overcome a flatspot, so you may be forced to a tad richer in that area.

also once you lean an area considerably off, you need to adjust your timing in that very same area as well.
for example:

in the 3000mark to 4000 mark you pull AFRs from factory rich 12:1 down to 13.5:1, you will need to advance you ignition timing slightly, to compensate for the time it now takes for the AF mix to ignite completely (the leaner a mixture the harder it is to ignite, hence ignition point needs to be forfitted, but very carefully listen for rattle/pinging)

that should take care of your flatspot
second problem you may or may not face is the inability for the interceptor to go beyond certain ignition retard or advance. i faced that barrier when tuning a turbo falcon, in which i wasnt able to to remove more than 17 deg of timing and still was too much.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 15-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #24
stiddy
Banned

Pfft, break something in the bottom end at 6400rpm? kidding right? lol dont worry stav... takes a little more then that..
The AU I6 bottom end is a very tough unit stock, you would be able to spin it to that every day if you wanted to. Plus 160,000k bottom end is just run in lol.. again, dont worry.
Old 15-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Evil chief..I agree with you on this one.If it was serious engine damage then the idle would most likely go stupid and i would hear clanking sound of metal to metal contact. I am tuning the eecv which has its limiter raised to 6200 from from memory.I have chucked the interceptor on top and have been fiddling with it for around 8 months now.

I really hate dynos with a passion and so it will be unlikely to go on.I can tell just by driving the car at if my adjustments are working or not.(with the aid of my data logging equipment) The only thing I need now is to buy another gtech pro meter for fine tuning to a higher scientific level.My last one was stolen:(
stav, the bum-o-meter is no comparison to a dyno. 50 bucks will give you 3 runs or whatever, the number at the end is irrelevant. but knowing where the car stops making power is a handy bit of knowledge to have.
Old 15-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #26
xr8ute
Back on the road

Its the top end that would cop a hammering at those revs, but your heavier springs will help there....

I used to hit the limiter heaps in th ute, because it is at only 5500rpm in the AU1 XR8's. Its not good for ET thats for sure...lol.

Dont be afraid to rev it Stav

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
Old 15-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #27
Sonik
Banned

I hit 7,500 tonight!
In the Magna though.. Never been above 4.5k in the falcon.
Old 15-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #28
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

It's not likely that you've damaged anything, not because it's bulletproof, but because you've driven it and it's appears fine. If something had gone wrong, you'd know.
As for setting the limiter to 7000rpm, I'm not so sure on that, firstly because an old engine like you have is likely an accident waiting to happen, and secondly it is almost certainly falling off the power well before then.

Their is simply no point in revving an engine much beyond it's power peak.
Get it on a dyno, yes dynos are just fine if you use them correctly, and find where the peak is. Then adjust your limiter 200-300rpm higher.

With a fresh engine, new rings, bearings and perhaps a balanced bottom end, I would imagine 7000rpm is safe enough for the I6, but still wasted if the power peak is 1000rpm less.

Rick.
Old 15-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #29
Stav
Smile

I just loved the way it screamed up the motorway..it was the bang limiter which amazed me even more??6200 prm limit and I hit it!! Went past the darn thing!!

Old 15-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #30
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
It's not likely that you've damaged anything, not because it's bulletproof, but because you've driven it and it's appears fine. If something had gone wrong, you'd know.
As for setting the limiter to 7000rpm, I'm not so sure on that, firstly because an old engine like you have is likely an accident waiting to happen, and secondly it is almost certainly falling off the power well before then.

Their is simply no point in revving an engine much beyond it's power peak.
Get it on a dyno, yes dynos are just fine if you use them correctly, and find where the peak is. Then adjust your limiter 200-300rpm higher.

With a fresh engine, new rings, bearings and perhaps a balanced bottom end, I would imagine 7000rpm is safe enough for the I6, but still wasted if the power peak is 1000rpm less.

Rick.
True..I just am the not so biggest fan of dynos any more.I might just set it at 6400 rpm and see what happens.The acclerometer should let me know what works.

HLC..my bumometer is a good one.Trust me I can tell more power after the thousands of hours of fiddling with the car.

Last edited by Stav; 15-04-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Closed Thread