Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Default Update: Cam & Tune Going Well... :) Dyno print out inside

Went down to Joe @ CMS again today

He had a bit of a fiddle around, reshimmed the cam (Oh, so quiet now!)

138kW and 348Nm

Running pretty rich at the moment, stalling a few times, particularly in reverse! But both Joe & myself are pretty happy at the nearly 140kW on a stock i6 head!

He's gonna fix up the idle next week, does anyone have any idea what CAPA call it for an AU? All the instructions in the booklet are for B-Series!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bloody hell i am impressed

On a dyno dynamics dyno i'd be pulling around the 145 mark

I think i said somewhere before i pulled 377Nm? It was actually 337Nm, silly me

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aye_yew_dyno221108.JPG (77.5 KB, 70 views)

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

What are you using to tune it currently?
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
ayeyew
Teh Baest

CAPA box thingy

Currently:
Old 22-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

CAPA flash tuner?

Nice 140kw is a great start imo

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Not bad really their mate, looks like its got pretty good touque. And i do believe his dyno does read lower than most others.
Old 23-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he seem to very slow at tuning your car...does he charge you every time you have to take it back cause its not right...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
ayeyew
Teh Baest

I'm his Guinea Pig!

He has not charged me a cent

Currently:
Old 24-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Joe relies mainly on bread nd butter work to keep going ... he does tuning when he can at the time ... with the amount of LPG installs and day to day mechanical work ... it's getting the time put aside to tune vehicles.

He isn't a dedicated tunehouse like most of the "performance places" are out there.

There's a few cars sitting in his workshop that are long-term projects of other customers as well ... so he works on them when parts come in ... and when he gets time to tune etc.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This sounding very promising.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Are you going to race it?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
Fordfan4u

Hmm, not bad.
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

what would a stock AU pull in Nm at the wheels, would anyone know?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Depends on the dyno really.

My old EGAS ute was reading just over 300Nm at the wheels in stock form at the low end of the rev range. After cam (no tune) it was making around 335Nm

Actually ... here's my dyno chart from way back when after the cam install (prior to getting the cam dialled back though ... i didn't get a run after that)

Old 25-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

As you can see overlaying the 2 graphs ... mine peters off from the mid-range (50-ish mm mixer ring restriction) ... and aye-yew has had his rev limiter increased as well ... hence the higher speed reading at the top of the graph. Although torque are pretty much the same really for both graphs.

The cam grinds are slightly different though ... even though both are stage 2 CMS cams ... mine has different lobe separation for LPG. My run was in 3rd gear in the auto.
Old 26-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

edit...this is my dev 4 cammed au wagon with stock head. As you can see the blue line hit 400 nm and a peak of 133killowatts..it was at Joes dyno day. It also reveals the car was leanning out somewhat up top after my first edit. Ayeyew needs more fuel up top and he will have alot more power than the dev4 stock head car with his cms setup.His potential is to be faster than the wagon at that stage of its buildup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lastscan.jpg (102.0 KB, 56 views)

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again

Last edited by Stav; 26-11-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 26-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That's a decent torque curve there Stav.
Old 26-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #17
Stav
Smile

Thanks mechanik. I am pretty sure that with the head and cam since its a bit better but I am not too sure..I lost that dyno sheet from Joes :( Ayeyew..your car has big potential mate.

On my dyno sheet you will notice that power died at 140kmph as the car was starving for fuel..

Old 26-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Are you going to race it?
I might give it a run or two, but not full on, like all the time I dont trust myself, particularly with my S1 brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Ayeyew..your car has big potential mate.
Cheers mate! Im hoping to get her into the 14s

Still debating with myself whether to spend some more on her or save up for 12 months and buy something newer.. Bloody hard decision

Currently:
Old 26-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #19
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
I might give it a run or two, but not full on, like all the time I dont trust myself, particularly with my S1 brakes

Cheers mate! Im hoping to get her into the 14s

Still debating with myself whether to spend some more on her or save up for 12 months and buy something newer.. Bloody hard decision
I understand mate. I have gone too far on the wagon to get another car.Its just too good to buy another ford and start all over again.

Old 27-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know what you mean. I'm still debating with myself about whether I should trade up or not. I'm interested to trade up to a series II or III. Mainly for the brakes and firewall differences. It'd be nice to have something slightly newer as a base too.

By the same token, I really like my Futura. I've driven a fair few AUs, and mine has by far the punchiest engine. The only other one that came close was another series I with 4499's, full highflow exhaust, heavily modified intake and a unichip.

Mine only has what you can see in my sig, plus a BA intake tube. You cant help but feel attached to a car that out performs another car, that by rights it shouldnt be able to out perform.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
I know what you mean. I'm still debating with myself about whether I should trade up or not. I'm interested to trade up to a series II or III. Mainly for the brakes and firewall differences. It'd be nice to have something slightly newer as a base too.

By the same token, I really like my Futura. I've driven a fair few AUs, and mine has by far the punchiest engine. The only other one that came close was another series I with 4499's, full highflow exhaust, heavily modified intake and a unichip.

Mine only has what you can see in my sig, plus a BA intake tube. You cant help but feel attached to a car that out performs another car, that by rights it shouldnt be able to out perform.
Why dont you take all the good gear off your current car for the S2 or S3 and put your S1 back to stock and sell it that way? Thats what I'd do.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #22
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, but I dont think its the stuff I have on mine, I think I've just got one of the good engines. Realistically, a Tickford snorkel, Fram airfilter, BA intake tube and cat back exhaust, wont make a huge amount of difference, a few kW's here and there.

I think it has something to do with the head castings. Some are good, and some are.. not so good. I may be talking out of my rear, but theoretically as mine is a series 1, all the dies and moulds would be fresh. Meaning the tolerances would be tighter and cleaner. As the model wears on, the dies and moulds are getting a bit old, producing parts with looser tolerances. Would there be any truth to this? does anyone know?

Ayeyew has a series 1 and so does Stav, and they're both pulling decent figures. I know Stav has ported his, and they're both running cams, etc.. but before Stav ported the head he was still running with a fair bit of power. I dont know, I'm just theorising really.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

Old 27-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Yeah, but I dont think its the stuff I have on mine, I think I've just got one of the good engines. Realistically, a Tickford snorkel, Fram airfilter, BA intake tube and cat back exhaust, wont make a huge amount of difference, a few kW's here and there.

I think it has something to do with the head castings. Some are good, and some are.. not so good. I may be talking out of my rear, but theoretically as mine is a series 1, all the dies and moulds would be fresh. Meaning the tolerances would be tighter and cleaner. As the model wears on, the dies and moulds are getting a bit old, producing parts with looser tolerances. Would there be any truth to this? does anyone know?

Ayeyew has a series 1 and so does Stav, and they're both pulling decent figures. I know Stav has ported his, and they're both running cams, etc.. but before Stav ported the head he was still running with a fair bit of power. I dont know, I'm just theorising really.
I guess its a decision only you could choose as you know the car best. Plus funds are another things too. As some people say, 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't'.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

Quote:

When I blew my first engine I had one installed at the wreckers.It had a cracked head but had alot moe torque than the average engine.They replaced it under warranty and the newer engine was slower. That second faulty engine went fast in stock form..i dont know why..

Old 27-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #25
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Oh another note

I had a dream that i had a run with Stav at WSID

I ran 14.3 (lol) and Stav ran 14.1

Maybe i'll get down there in the not too distant future ;)

Currently:
Old 27-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #26
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

..dreaming about fellow forum members.. k..

Previously:

Old 27-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

lets hope the dream was...ahem....dry :

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #28
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh. Dear.

Previously:

Old 27-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #29
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Lmao, bastids!

I keeeeeeeeeeeel j0000 farken

Currently:
Old 27-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #30
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Oh another note

I had a dream that i had a run with Stav at WSID

I ran 14.3 (lol) and Stav ran 14.1

Maybe i'll get down there in the not too distant future ;)
I hope it was dryyyyyy LOL

The wagon has not been pampered for a while mate so its a big ask of the old buzzard heh