Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Prisoners lecture school kids about safe driving..

I just saw a news article about a new initiative to get prisoners convicted and jailed for traffic offences lecturing teen-aged kids in schools about the dangers of driving irresponsbly...
Some pretty graphic descriptions and stone faced kids in the room by the look of it.
Lets hope that message gets through..

Old 24-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
seduced_xr
BF XR6

damn good idea.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
irlewy86
Meep Meep

It will make a good addition to the lectures about spinal safety, sexual health, christianity, good finacial management and all the other lectures given in schools
Old 24-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Hope it works, but I think kids will still have that wont happen to me mentality.
Old 24-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

We had Highway Patrol come into the school during a 3 day "Personal Development" seminar in Year 11 and show photos of accidents and tell us about some of the fatalities they had attended.
It was quite sad to listen to at the time, but about half an hour later the entire thing was forgotten.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets hope it works..
altho how many kids cross railway tracks... or silly car drivers and truck drivers running the flashing lights and boom gates at railway crossings...
i remember having the lectures from Queensland Rail about the dangers of that..people still do it

i think 90% of the solution is car control.. in ANY accident... if youve NEVER EVER slid a car sideways and recovered .. how are you ever going to do it if it happens by accident ie from diesel on the road (happened to both me and a mate as we rounded a busy roundabout in the wet on our way home from work... both cars just snapped sideways on the camber of the road..was a bit scarey as my mate had his car 2 days..(WH statesman V8)

but any lecture is a good lecture...
Old 24-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

My mother is a nurse and she takes the issue of responsible driving very seriously. So much so that before I went onto my L's she took both me and my sister to the hospital to see first hand the repercussions of speeding and drinking driving. I tell you, seeing those people in the state they were in was more confronting than the most graphic images or TV commercials.

If people want to speed or drink drive, who am I to stop them. I just hope that I'm not "that other car" when 5h!t hits the fan.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I just saw a news article about a new initiative to get prisoners convicted and jailed for traffic offences lecturing teen-aged kids in schools about the dangers of driving irresponsbly...
Some pretty graphic descriptions and stone faced kids in the room by the look of it.
Was this the one on TT or ACA? I remember when I was in yr12 we had a few traffic plods come out and give a lecture to us. Used some pretty graphic photos of accidents. The sort of stuff that would make 98% of the population sick to see first hand.

Question...did it work for us...? Not really. As most of us (all boy school) still went out doing what they now deem "hooning". What they need to look at as the fact that at 18, your a hormone ravaged male, with an ego bigger than your head and usually a car 10 times more powerful than you can control safely. We had a list given to us of what cars couldnt be driven on your P's back in 2005. And going off that list the only thing you could have was like a Suzuki Swift or Toyota Corolla.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
homegrown
hotshot

when i first got my liscence, my dad took me to pickles car auctions where they sell off all the written off cars and when you see the mess in real life it really changes the way you think.
Old 24-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
GK351

The smartasses sitting in the back of the class will probably just see the prisoners as a joke.

When L platers go for their P's they should be shown graphic video's/pictures
of what can happen to them their freinds and what their family's will have to go through if the worst was to happen.

Being on the road for 12 hours a day you wouldn't beleive how many (mainly) p platers do some really silly things. They dont really know any better, i know i was a little terror on the streets on my p's, but i didnt really have any knowledge of what can go wrong, i just drove around a rounderbout went through some give way signs and was given a licence.
Show them some graphics that will open their eyes. I know it would of made me open up my eyes and i would of thought twice before i done the many sillly's i did back then.

Whatever they are showing them aint sinking in right now.

Its usually the Drift generation in s... box 180SX, silvias and the like.

There's a nitwit up the road from me in a grey EF XR6 that is asking for a beating.
I was walking around the block a couple of weeks ago with my little boy and pregnant wife this half assed idiot thinks he's at eastern creek spinning in first on the limiter smashing 2nds...no respect, no regard for the community whatsoever.

I'll get him on the video one day and give it to the cops.
might even set it up in the truck to get all the other half wits i see throughout my day.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
homegrown
hotshot

im guilty for doing alot of stupid things on the road but if i do it's when no one is around or i'm the only the one that can be hurt(i know that doesn't make it ok) but the "drifter generation" just don't care their total disregard to road rules is unbelievable. im a young driver but its gotta start by having respect to others.
Old 24-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I remember having the police and traffic authority people come to our school and give us a lecture, 95 people took the day off, it was only me and 2 others from my house group that came out of the whole house.

Then the police raved on about how the new P plate passenger restrictions are already saving lives and the no v8s rule. None of us were really paying attention to what they had to say. You can show us everything you want, it won't change anything, you can bring in restrictions, people will still drive what they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown
im guilty for doing alot of stupid things on the road but if i do it's when no one is around or i'm the only the one that can be hurt(i know that doesn't make it ok) but the "drifter generation" just don't care their total disregard to road rules is unbelievable. im a young driver but its gotta start by having respect to others.
I hear you mate. Back a couple of years I was the same. I would spin the wheels, take a roundabout sideways while it was only me in the car and there was no one else around. I was called a 'grandpa driver' by my mates for the way I drove with them in the car. But no way would I want the death of a mate on my conscience if something went wrong while I was being an idiot. The first instinct of a driver is something goes belly up is to get off the road the quickest. And that is always to the left...and whats the the left...ditches, trees, power poles and its 80% of the time the passenger side that cops a nasty hit.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
Old 25-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #14
homegrown
hotshot

i was talking to cop awhile ago and he was giving quite a good rap on people who restore cars because they have respect for people around them and most importantly there car. i thought it was funny because i always thought we were looked at as hoons just for having a nice a car. even tho i still myself everytime i see a cop, i don't know why. one thing alot of young people don't have is respect for their cars either.
Old 25-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown
i was talking to cop awhile ago and he was giving quite a good rap on people who restore cars because they have respect for people around them and most importantly there car. i thought it was funny because i always thought we were looked at as hoons just for having a nice a car. even tho i still myself everytime i see a cop, i don't know why. one thing alot of young people don't have is respect for their cars either.
Ive never spoken to a cop that appreciates a nicely done up car newer car. Ive seen plenty admire the 50-70's muscle cars. Usually they just want to chat to find something to diss out a fine for.

A lot of young people also have no respect for their car as most of the time its either mummy or daddys car...or mummy or daddy paid for it. I know of one kid who has just turned 18. Been a mechanics apprentice since he was 16. Saved up and bought himself a really nice 2002 Calais. Put it on gas and enjoys driving it. Never thrashes it as he worked his butt off to buy it. Unlike many others I know who's parents gift wrapped their first car for them and hence have no respect for it.

Old 26-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've been lectured by 2 different people about driver safety at a Driver Awareness thing the schools in sydney do in year 10/11/12. They take ya out to St Ive's where the Honda driver training place is. show you speeds and braking distances, video's, safe driving techniques and also have some people with brain damage talk to you. One guy was doin about 180 in a datto and smashed it up, no idea how he survived but he now has brain damage and the same story basicly from a woman too..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there was something in the paper the other day some kids were hooning about hit another car with some seniors in it and as the old man was sitting in his car dying they sat on the side of the road and ate maccas, how much of a selfish little pr!ck do you have to be to do that? just total lack of respect and compassion.

they were un-licenced as well
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #18
prydey
Rob

i grew up long before any p plate restrictions came in and yet people still managed to write themselves off then same as they do now, whether they be in high powered cars or not.

if there's an engine in it and a young fella with the wrong (i can't die) attitude behind the wheel, it has the potential to kill someone or him/herself.

i find it mildly amusing that all these govt agency's that think they are doing the right thing, seem to have forgotten their teenage years and what they were like when someone more senior tried telling them how to live their life.

the other thing that happens when people are kept out of newer cars is that they also miss out in the advancement in technology and safety of these cars. the kw/tonne is the fairest method of restriction if the govt must but banning cars just because they have a certain engine configuration is just silly and prejudiced. i drive a v8 and occasionally give it a squirt here and there, all well within the bounds of the law and yet some would label me a hoon just for owning one.

this may also be a little controversial, but i think a lot of the education and restriction needs to happen at home with the parents, well before they reach licence age too. too many kids grow up these days in broken/dysfunctional households and get left to their own devices a lot of the time. the amount of times i come home late from work (shiftworker) and see young kids out on the streets on bikes and scooters or just hanging out in groups sometimes well after midnight and all nights of the week, you just get the feeling they are statistics waiting to happen.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #19
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
there was something in the paper the other day some kids were hooning about hit another car with some seniors in it and as the old man was sitting in his car dying they sat on the side of the road and ate maccas, how much of a selfish little pr!ck do you have to be to do that? just total lack of respect and compassion.

they were un-licenced as well
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=670786

Yep Unlicensed... Absolute disgrace
Old 26-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #20
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=670786

Yep Unlicensed... Absolute disgrace
Dear God, I'm utterly speechless.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #21
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just reading that article, why wasn't he charged with driving an unregistered car, driving while disqualified and maybe even manslaughter?

the driver was only charged with obstructing police.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
just reading that article, why wasn't he charged with driving an unregistered car, driving while disqualified and maybe even manslaughter?

the driver was only charged with obstructing police.
Probably pending an investigation. but to have McDonalds delivered to you and offer no aid to a car you've just crashed into and possibly killed an occupant...

Society is in a spiral.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

That newspaper article in the first post was at my school. Was a pretty full on presentation and opened alot of peoples eyes