Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
Deanodriver

Default Colour coded side mouldings on standard EF - how hard is it?

I may be purchasing an EF Futura in the next 6 months or so, and it comes with the black side mouldings on the doors (which I don't like, I think it makes the car look cheap). I'm just wondering whether it's a difficult/expensive job to replace those with the colour coded items? Has anyone here done it yet?

Doesn't the Fairmont have colour coded available, so could I just swap them? (this particular car is Argon Silver). I've had major issues with gluing one of the side mouldings back onto my old Nissan Pintara, but hopefully, it won't be so hard

To all those saying 'just get a Fairmont', this particular Futura I'd be getting for a very reasonable price, with quite low k's for it's age, plus, it's been in the family since new, so I know it's history

While I'm at it, is it an easy job to remove the headlight protectors?
Deanodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
DentEd XR8

Might be cheaper to just go to a panel beaters and get them painted to match the car, not sure if Ford sell the mouldings pre-painted, if they did I reckon it would still be easier to get your existing ones resprayed.

The headlight protectors should just slide off
Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
EL_futuraistic

Default Ahhhh,,, yeah

Ford only sell the fairmont ghia (think) (with chrome strip) mouldings pre-painted in fairmont colors and they cost a bloody fortune as do the non-painted ef xr mouldings. I have a EL futura with color coded side mouldings. You would find it much cheaper to goto a panel shop, pay cash$$$ (cash not eftpos or cheque) and have ur black mouldings color coded. If u remove them urself, and clean off the double sided tape with euclyptus oil and a razor blade, then re-tape them it shouldnt cost u too much. Although, do use a small amount of stic-a-flex on the front door moulds, as i found mine lifted after a few weeks with only double sided tape.

Hope that helps

BTW. u will need to purchase new decals, once they are painted.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

As has been said, the cheapest and easiest option would be to get the ones already on there matched to the rest of the door. Shouldnt be any more than about $20 per door (thats what i was quoted).

Fairmont ones are not cheap, you need the side indicator surround to match too, and they do not come painted. Not even in Fairmont colours.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
Deanodriver

right, so it'd be easier just to get the black ones painted?

on the Futura in question (which is Argon Silver), it's the thick sidestrips (with the indicator surround and all), and only the strip in the middle isn't colour coded, I was hoping I'd be able to replace just that with parts from the wrecker (assuming the Argon Silver for the Fairmont is identical to the Futura's).

Either way, it's not certain that i'll be buying it (depends on financial situation at the time), but I'm just keeping it in mind, waiting until I can acquire the funds.

do the new decals mean the '4.0 OHC' sticker?
Deanodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yes you could do it that way, but it is possible the paint, while being the same colour, may look slightly different. Thats why its better to get the ones you have on the car already matched to the rest of it.

Yes, the decal is the "4.0 OHC" bit.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Walkinshaw
Two > One

So when you buy side mouldings for an EL ghia they come pre painted? Same with the front and rear chrome pieces? I assumed they came primed ready to take paint.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just take them off.i rekon they look heaps better without them.
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Im thinking of getting my AU ones painted but I thought it might be a bit expensive though $20 per door sounds very reasonable might just have to get it done.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Walky, no they do not come painted in body colour. Im unsure of if they're even primed, but i am certain you do need to get them painted yourself - you cant walk into spare parts with a paint code and say 'i need them in this colour'.

blinkau, $20 per strip is what i was quoted here, thats for prepping them and painting them.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
Walkinshaw
Two > One

yeah for EF/L they are rather expensive. Front bumper pieces are $90 ea and rear bumper is $268

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote