Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default View: L plate drivers should be on P plate restrictions.

Hi guys and girls,

Tonight while driving something came into my mind that i'd never really thought about before, and that is the restrictions that L plate drivers have here in Victoria, or lack of I should say.

I'm not sure what the current laws and restrictions are in other states, but at this time it looks to be legal for L platers to drive high performance cars such as V8s and Turbos.

I always new about this but never really thought about it until I pulled my XR6 up next to a very nice XR6 Turbo ute last weekend, with L plates on it. The picture didn't look right if you know what I mean.

Whilst driving tonight I ended up behind a mint looking black VE HSV R8 Clubsport with a supercharged badge on it and L plates in the window.
In my opinion it isn't right for drivers with little experience to be driving around in cars such as Turbos and Supercharged R8s, yet P platers are heavily restricted (in victoria).

Am I alone on this one? What reason could there be for the restrictions to be the way they are currently? Am I missing something?

It just seems to dangerous.

chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Bear in mind mummy or daddy are usually there chewing the ear off the kid learning...he could be in a top fueller and still creeping along
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
buggo
[BU66OS]

Plus the fact that it is the parents car. They might not have a car within restrictions of p-plate laws to teach their L-plate child in. Generally l-palaters don't buy their fisrt car until just before or after getting their p's. due to them saving up for a year, incentive from their parents, whatever.

But yer I agree with the piont you make, doesn't make sense someone with 0 hours driving experience can get behind the wheel of their dads modified ferrari, but banned 120 hours later from an early 90s V8 or 3cyl Suzuki Copen turbo

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Bear in mind mummy or daddy are usually there chewing the ear off the kid learning...he could be in a top fueller and still creeping along
True, but is there a point where it's to much power for someone with little to no experience regardless?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a valid point, but i think the problem is what happens when they have no authoritive figure next to them telling them to slow down and do less burnouts.
I'd put money on the L plater driving that same car more sedately while mum or dad are there. Without supervision the nagging thought to test the car are alot harder to deny..
Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

A very valid point, but obviously one overshadowed by the P plate legislation in Australia. I don't think L platers make up enough numbers in the road toll to warrant restrictions. P platers however seem to be a bit more "up there" as far as fatalities and accidents are concerned and therefore the government has implemented the laws currently in place. I think more education in the L plate years would help the younger generation with these problems. Banning high performance cars is not really the answer IMO.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
quirdan

I think it's fine. I learnt in a BA XR8 and it taught me to respect the power of high powered, rear wheel drive vehicles. I never had the urge to be stupid in it.
quirdan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i completely understand what youre talking about
on my Ls i drove an XH xr6, my mums forte, my car (stock au ghia with a catback) and my uncles s3 xr8 220 with a lot of mods, that car was damn quick but my dad and uncle were pretty strict on me
i can just think tho, it only takes one momentary lapse, lets say im an L plater driving a modded xr6t and i give it just a little too much around a corner... whats a fully licensed driver going to do about that? nothing, thats what!

then again, a lot of people coming off p plates havent been exposed to anything quick. imagine driving an ea 3 speed for duration of your p plates and then saving all your pennies and buying a lovely BF GT on your full license. youre on your own here. your cruddy ea was a single spinner, your big heavy powerful v8 has an LSD, whos going to teach you to drive a car like that?

theres pros and cons to driving powerful cars on your L plates, both seem pretty equal to me
maybe we should just leave the laws as they are, as long as L plates are behaving themselves its really up to the adult to judge that their eleventy billion killawasp clubsport is probably not a good idea to let some 16 year old drive.
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The allowance for L platers to drive unrestricted vehicles is fair and reasonable.

It serves 2 purposes:

1) allows mums and dad to teach their kids in the family car.
2) makes allowance for a responsible person sitting beside the L Plater giving good instruction and monitoring/controlling their behavior.

It shows and works to the premise that powerful cars are NOT dangerous if driven carefully and responsibly which i agree with.

The P Plate restrictions then come into effect and are valid and reasonable because once they get their P Plates they're left without supervision which IS where the problems occur.....

Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Yeah, I'm with those that don't see too much of a problem with it.
On my L's I drove a modified Ba XR8, BA GT, and a Capri turbo(which is just about quicker, but certainly more unpredictable then both V8's;

I think it is good to learn what power is and how to drive more carefully and gently while you still have an adult in the passengers seat.
You're not about to be a lunatic in an expensive car while the owner is in the passengers seat now are you?

The only thing I would say is you shouldn't actually learn to operate a vehicle in a very powerful car (as in learning to use; clutch, brake, accelerator etc) because the wrong pedal can be devastating, but then it can still be as bad if you were in a little Hyundai buzz box.

But that can't be enforced, it's just common sense.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The allowance for L platers to drive unrestricted vehicles is fair and reasonable.

It serves 2 purposes:

2) makes allowance for a responsible person sitting beside the L Plater giving good instruction and monitoring/controlling their behavior.

It shows and works to the premise that powerful cars are NOT dangerous if driven carefully and responsibly which i agree with.

The P Plate restrictions then come into effect and are valid and reasonable because once they get their P Plates they're left without supervision which IS where the problems occur.....
Yeah well said. I spent my learners driving the family XR8, with no dramas at all. Even with my older brother teaching me (only just off p's at the time).

I got some interesting looks driving the XY around with L's on it
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok the "the have mums and dads next to them" arguement is probably the most silliest arguement I have heard of.

Nothing stops the "L" plater having his older brother/ cousin/ mate in the car, instead of his parents.

9 time out of ten this is the case here.

I RARELY see parents driving with their teenage son in their car.
Most of the time i see parents when the car is a "normal" one like a hyndai or other hairdressers car.

A large percentage of the time when I see a XR6/ XR8 or a Senator/ Maloo ute/ other V8 Commordore with L plates it is two young males in the car.

Whats to stop the young L plater from jumping in his mates XR8 and driving it?

NOTHING.....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how often do you see 16 year old with 21 year old mates?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
how often do you see 16 year old with 21 year old mates?
Only if she has blonde hair and big......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i drive a lot of ks a week and see these so called responsible parents driving and they are the ones now teaching.bit hard for the parent to jump on the brakes in that split second that you lose traction and its all over.i no any car can lose it but its a lot easier with more power.you cant learn to ride on an r1 so why are cars that much different
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack
you cant learn to ride on an r1 so why are cars that much different
Bike riders are unsupervised (in NSW at least) and not many cars can do the 1/4 mile in the 10 second bracket stock.

Personally I think the whole P-plate restrictions are a joke.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

My girls learned and are learning to drive in my cars. Most of their hours are in the impreza but they both have driven the fords the biggest difference my oldest daughter noticed is the V8 dont need to change down gears all the time they will pull away at 20k's in 3rd easy. Neither of them have done any burnouts or bought on oversteer just because they were in a car that can do that if anything they learn to appreciate being very gentle in throttle application. Would I let them drive the fords on their P's unsupervised even if it was allowed?... not a snowballs chance in hell, learning and under supervision and being given feedback on what to do is very different to flying solo.
Current L and P rules are sufficient and justified IMO

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
kezzer

Quote:

It serves 2 purposes:

Spot on 4Vman, I learnt in a mitsubishi triton, only because my dad wouldn't let me into his nissan 300zx lol. I had it for abit on my p's before I got my xr6, and by no means is the xr6 a performance car, but I wish I had learnt in something with abit of guts, as I will admit the jump was substantial for me.

But i'm glad to be driving a safe car.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #19
LTDHO
The one and only

Regarding learner drivers I'm not concerned about the fact they can drive performance cars. It the 'licenced driver' I'm worried about. Some don't have any comprehension of driving, they turn key, turn wheel and push pedals. I almost saw a kid die last weekend because the 'licenced driver' was a 'passenger' nothing more.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I taught both of my sons to drive in Modified v8 fords both manual and auto,to which they have their own modified ford vehicles .It is all about to respect of your vehicle and to drive within your ability.
The current L and P plate laws are adeqate to a point ,did you know that you cannot teach a learner to tow a trailer?,but I taught my boys in showing them the differance in braking distance ,acceleration and handling when you are towing a trailer that being boat ,car or box.It,s scarey to think a P plater can get their license and then go a tow a caravan with no experience ,they are about!!
I,m all for them to drive my Modified V8,s on their P,s if I,m in the vehicle with them,they know they can,t legally and with the insurance well that,s a whole new ball game,but one day they will have my vehicles of which one i,ve had since I was 19 now 45 till then they will be a passenger,cheers
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
left
Lady Leadfoot

Kids have to clock up X amount of hours driving in whatever car their parents have... if that happens to be an XR6T so be it. My parent had a big fat nothing so I learnt to drive in a rental car...in 2 days! Which scenario is worse you tell me!?

As others have mentioned, the real issue is whether said parent(s) are appropriately 'qualified' to teach their youngsters to drive in the first place. i hazard a guess to say the majority are not irrespective of the car ;)

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
Blast2

All the guys and gals have to be aware of any car power and how it handles on the road regardless if they are L or P plates. Plus parent or instructor needs to watch driver and road. We all want our kids to drive and do the right thing to return home safe.
Blast2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

P plate drivers are not BAD drivers, they are INEXPERIENCED drivers.

In most situations a red P driver would have no problem driving any V8 or turbo anything. The problem is that they do not yet have the experience to see many potentially dangerous situations coming and take appropriate action to avoid them let alone getting out of them.

Also, as most P platers are young they tend to often make less that appropriate decissions often egged on by peer pressure.

Young race drivers often win races but also often fail to finish, older race drivers tend to finish more often close to if not in front.

Skill gets you to the front, experience keeps you there

Bottom line, restricting learners from P restricted cars will preclude many of them getting their 100 hours for years and cost them a large amount of money. It will not make them safer drivers.

This is not a good thing.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #24
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we forget the P plate restrictions now in place were a knee jerk reaction to begin with. The car restrictions we have now are a step backwards from the previous system.

It has been shown that L platers in V8's/turbos etc aren't a factor in the statistics ie there wouldn't be a higher proportion of "powerful" cars crashing with learner drivers in them. The effect of the supervising passenger means the car is usually driven conservatively. That and they encourage learners to go out and get experience - they can't do that if they can't drive the family's Subaru Forester GT, or similar.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where to start.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I think we forget the P plate restrictions now in place were a knee jerk reaction to begin with. The car restrictions we have now are a step backwards from the previous system.
Um no, they are a step put into place because before restrictions the incidence of stupidity in high powered cars was prevalent, its also plain common sense...
Quote:
It has been shown that L platers in V8's/turbos etc aren't a factor in the statistics ie there wouldn't be a higher proportion of "powerful" cars crashing with learner drivers in them. .
Shown where? logic would say that would be because the learners are supervised and now allowed to get themselves into trouble wouldnt it?????????

Quote:
That and they encourage learners to go out and get experience - they can't do that if they can't drive the family's Subaru Forester GT, or similar.
Agree....

Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

goose: If I was legally allowed to teach a kid to drive In my car(minimum of two years unrestricted license held) I sure as hell wouldn't be letting them sink their boot into MY car. Think about it, and anyway most L drivers really do learn with mum and dad...really!
Game. Reinvented.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

The P Plate laws are much like the Holden Adventra Wagon - a good idea, very poorly executed.

Restricting P Platers from driving high performance cars is unfortunately a result of the few potential Darwin Award candidates tarnishing the reputation of the many. Unfortunately, the Aust Govt is too cheap/stupid to weed out the idiots and/or teach people how to drive properly. The only other solution is to ban high performance cars for young drivers.

The serious issue here is the Govt's definition of a high performance car. I saw a 1913 Bently or something on TV the other day with an Inline 8 engine producing about 60kw, in a 2 tonne car. This is a high performance car. And yet, a modified XR6 with 199kw is legal for a P Plater to drive, as long as it has no turbo. :
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #28
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
logic would say that would be because the learners are supervised and now allowed to get themselves into trouble wouldnt it?????????
simple fact is learners do not figure in anywhere near the numbers of serious or fatal accidents. This means there is no point in restricting them further than what they already are. ie if it aint broke, don't touch it

P platers on the other hand do not do themselves any favours and seem to be hitting the news every week
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #29
artwebber

when i was on my L's i learnt in my own 95 mondeo 5 speed then i bought a xf and learned in that and after the xf i bought a BA xr6 all of this was on my L's but these days L platers are buying skylines and everything else doing them up on there L's and driving with a older mate next to them i know many of them that do it so its unfair on us P platers getting the blame where it all starts from the start.
artwebber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #30
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
The P Plate laws are much like the Holden Adventra Wagon - a good idea, very poorly executed.

Restricting P Platers from driving high performance cars is unfortunately a result of the few potential Darwin Award candidates tarnishing the reputation of the many. Unfortunately, the Aust Govt is too cheap/stupid to weed out the idiots and/or teach people how to drive properly. The only other solution is to ban high performance cars for young drivers.

The serious issue here is the Govt's definition of a high performance car. I saw a 1913 Bently or something on TV the other day with an Inline 8 engine producing about 60kw, in a 2 tonne car. This is a high performance car. And yet, a modified XR6 with 199kw is legal for a P Plater to drive, as long as it has no turbo. :
Good post, more or less sums it up. I don't see what was wrong with the power:weight restrictions we had in place before.
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post