Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Ford_Crazy

Unhappy In 10 years time

Will Ford be heading down the shitter? I ask for your opinions because all I read on these forums are how bad Ford are doing globally, how shitty the marketing department both here and the US are. I constantly see that Ford for some unknown reason tend to give the customer the exact opposite of what they want and how bad Ford's customer and after sales service has become (In Aus).

I would like you're opinions based on what you think, not feel, would happen. Take off your blue oval goggles and let it all out.

I honestly feel that if Ford do not start turning things around and I mean very quickly, Ford will be bought out by another manufacturer or, will cease to exist.

The people who are sitting in their cushy leathr chairs earning massive salaries are contributing to the downfall of one of the most recognisable products on earth. We need someone like uncle Geoff to steer Ford (globally) back to calmer shores.

Ford_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

i give ford aus, till the end of the year. if this new model fails, thats it, game over. just look at the sales records in the cars guide

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel Ford Australia will still be around and so will the Falcon. If fuel prices become volatile or war breaks out in the middle east then it really will be game over. Probably for Holden too. The only motor companies that would survive something like that would be cashed up and in the small car market. Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda etc. The Australian automotive industry is in a big rut at the moment. Holden are scaling back production and the Commodore is not selling anywhere like they would have wanted to. Maybe in 10 years GM and Ford will merge?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
i give ford aus, till the end of the year. if this new model fails, thats it, game over. just look at the sales records in the cars guide
Sales will be low this year, but Ford won't be abandoning local production.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Crazy
I constantly see that Ford for some unknown reason tend to give the customer the exact opposite of what they want and how bad Ford's customer and after sales service has become (In Aus).

I would like you're opinions based on what you think, not feel, would happen. Take off your blue oval goggles and let it all out.
heres my story. i was in the market for a new BF MKII XR6 and needed delivery before the end of the FBT year (April 1) I had a lot of trouble with westpoint who kept trying to sell me demonstrators with 5000-7000ks at $1500 MORE than an 06 plate they quoted. I TWICE phoned strapp ford looking for the dood on tuesday but was told he was still on leave. so I left my details with nick who promised a return phone call. im yet to receive a courtesy call. (I have voicemail)

I leant to drive in an XC 3 on a tree wagon older than me! so i have a soft spot for fords despite my user name. they make a good product but I think the dealers arnt working hard enough to sell them. in the end duhig ford have been very helpful but unfortunately I purchased another aussie built 6 today.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In ten years i can see most falcon people in commodores. Not saying that they wont keep there classic falcons, but if they are after a new car presuming they want an aussie v8 it will have to be red because the way sales are going i dont think the falcon will be around.
Lets hope im wrong!
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wake up to yourselves, people adjust to high fuel prices. I remember when I first saw fuel at a $1.00 a litre and I thought theres no way I'm paying that for fuel. Now its way over that and I'm used to it. People just need time to accept and get used to increased fuel prices. This place is a fair whack of a country and I can't see myself squeezing into a buzz box to travel 1000k+ for good fuel economy. We've been buying 4 door 6 & 8 cylinder sedans for longer than most of us have been alive and no rag head or greenie is going to change that.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia need to sell a certain amount of orion's to break even. That will be the big test.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
andrewts
White Car Driver

Agreed. Long live Ford.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
holmsy
Banned

well i havent seen or heard much personally but talking to a guy that works in the geelong factory today he was saying the new model is bloody sexy and should be good which is a positive. also the new mondao (dunno how to spell) is suprisingly nice looking car so that could help out a bit.
but he also said within not so long the geelong factory will close. they have allready halved the size of the factory and are no longer making certain parts. and soon to no longer make air intake manifolds as they change from metal to plastic.
they seem to be slowly phasing out parts and making them elsewhere.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that if Falcon REALLY had to change its way, they'd make it slightly smaller and give it a four cylinder option, not dissimilar to a Camry, or the TR/S Magna. They would probably source the motor from elsewhere though.

They'd see how that goes too.

I wouldn't mind a Falcon being a little smaller. But I do not want a conventional car, prime example being the Camry. Turning to stone behind the wheel doesn't interest me.

If Falcon decreases in size slightly but keeps some grunt, I'll be satisfied. It might limit 8 Cylinder options though. They'd work it out.

Flame on!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

well last year ford were the richist company in the world . dont know if they still are . but that is good .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #13
holmsy
Banned

actually another thing somone i talked to today said they should try something like bringing back cortina style cars. medium size cars with 4 cylinder engines.
i spose it is basically the focus but sort of a longer sleeker sportier car i guess.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmsy
but he also said within not so long the geelong factory will close. they have allready halved the size of the factory and are no longer making certain parts. and soon to no longer make air intake manifolds as they change from metal to plastic.
they seem to be slowly phasing out parts and making them elsewhere.
You would mean the engine plant? Ford recently sold plant 5 in geelong for a considerable sum to pay for super duper product development building at the rear of engine plant. The stamping plant has just had over 30 million spent on it specifically for orion. Engine plant closing down has been a rumor since EA/EB. One of those things that does not go away. Ford OZ are throwing everything at orion to make it the best car they can. By no means are they abandoning Australia. Its more a case of Ford investing a lot of time and money into australian operations. If FoA ever closes, it is not because they didn't try.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

The I6 is a strong thing FoMoCo Aus has in its favour.

Only problem I can see with the I6 is whether the engine plant has enough capacity to produce enough powerplants for the mooted Orion exports. If Ford winds up selling lots of Orions for export and they can't make enough I6s, they'll have to find something else.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #16
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
well last year ford were the richist company in the world . dont know if they still are . but that is good .
Don't think so, Bud............
Old 02-03-2007, 12:06 AM   #17
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

The Orion is the big test. The BA saved the Falcon. The Orion will have to do even more. The fact that it is 18 months - 2 years behind the VE is not helping. Let's hope Orion does it for us. And listen FORD (even tho the design and tooling would be finished), we don't want any weird 'EDGE' styling, no matter how many "Ford fans" will defend it. We want a tough looking vehicle that will appeal to the masses as well as the enthusiast. Don't try making it look different, just for the sake of it. I'm all for new innovations but if we get another smashed crab crossed with a dodo bird, Ford in OZ is finished.
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
holmsy
Banned

yeh i was also told they r making the new part of the plant behind near the factory garage.

no idea how factual it is but was also told i think it was ford global or US borrowed like 40 billion or million or something at one stage. (no idea how factual that is tho)
Old 02-03-2007, 05:40 AM   #19
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This all worrys me. Stop making me worried! Im buy a xr6t in the next few months. But im scared war is going to brake out in Iran and fuel prices are going to go sky high. Then I wont be able to afford to drive the turbo and no one is going to want to buy it because of fuel prices. I just hope they invent some new fandangle fuel that we can use in our current engines that is nice and cheap. Or a type of conversion on our engines that lets us use a different type of fuel.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #20
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
This all worrys me. Stop making me worried! Im buy a xr6t in the next few months. But im scared war is going to brake out in Iran and fuel prices are going to go sky high. Then I wont be able to afford to drive the turbo and no one is going to want to buy it because of fuel prices. I just hope they invent some new fandangle fuel that we can use in our current engines that is nice and cheap. Or a type of conversion on our engines that lets us use a different type of fuel.
Errr, I think they already have....its called LPG

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=79007

Works in turbos too, apparently.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #21
INDEEP
CHEV owner

Ford Australia has it's head up it's ****... All you need do to realise this is take a non-biased look at the marketing and dealer mentality. I worked at a Ford Dealership for a year in both service and spare parts. Whenever anything went even slightly pear-shaped, the customer was a "****er" or an idiot.

What ever happened to the age-old theory of the customer always being right?

The FoMoCo is not perfect, and nor is any other motor vehicle producer, but with consistently declining sales year in, year out. They need a serious attitude adjustment.

After all, I don't see Falcons being demanded for export all over the world...

Just my 2c worth.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #22
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Ford MoCo and Ford Aus will still be around in 10 years. I think they will be thinking of downsizing the Falcon though and building a larger range of vehicles, especially mid sizers like the Mondeo. It all depends on how competitive Australia is manufacturing wise compared to the rest of the world. If we are cheap enough Ford global will have the aussie factory producing global cars or components.

If nothing else they will use our design expertise for other markets. They already do, our biggest import in the automotive industry is design expertise, ie engineers, designers etc. Thats why Autralia is working on the Ranger. And maybe they will develop the next Territory for other markets as well, who knows.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
You would mean the engine plant? Ford recently sold plant 5 in geelong for a considerable sum to pay for super duper product development building at the rear of engine plant. The stamping plant has just had over 30 million spent on it specifically for orion. Engine plant closing down has been a rumor since EA/EB. One of those things that does not go away. Ford OZ are throwing everything at orion to make it the best car they can. By no means are they abandoning Australia. Its more a case of Ford investing a lot of time and money into australian operations. If FoA ever closes, it is not because they didn't try.
Exactly. I spent 2006 working in the Geelong Stamping Plant on some fo the Orion Equipment and everyone IS still thinking long term. The reason they're not producing some parts anymore is because it makes commercial sense, the core business of the stamping plant is to make PANELS and ASSEMBLIES (panels welded together) for the cars. The whole point of this re-structuring is to eliminate anything that is not directly contributing to the core business of the plant

My opinion on the future of the engine plant: as far as i'm aware they can keep up with broady, even with an export market why do they need to be any faster? its only 1 motor per car!

Even if Ford Aus manufacturing does go balls up (very unlikely in my opinion) then PD will still be here, Ford Aus PD is fairly integral to a number of international Ford companies, Ford World won't turn their back on that

A lot of reports keep reminding me how much they borrowed last year, but that is a part of the down-sizeing, for every person who's job is cut in the US or Aus or anywhere there is a payout, often in 6 figures (depending on how many years they have worked for the company) so thats why they needed the extra $$$, once the business is back down to a nice efficient size they will not have this massive cost

just my thoughts, feel free to dispute out:
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #24
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry
Errr, I think they already have....its called LPG

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=79007

Works in turbos too, apparently.

I dont like LPG. And the price on that is going to go up nice and high once more people start using it. People keep talking about down sizing the falcon or making desiel falcons. But there just short term solutions. I want to know what ford are doing about using different type fuels. As some of you mite know there is tension between Iran and the USA. If war where to brake out, even if you have a small car. You still wont be able to afford to drive it.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #25
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a pretty strong expectation that Ford America will probably have to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection in the next 5 years, unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat.

The question for Ford Aus if the above does occur will be whether the board of FoMoCo will make any knee-jerk reactions that will effect Geelong.

Chapter 11 isn't the end of the world though - it's protection from creditors whilst the company goes through major resturcturing.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #26
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope Ford is still here in 10 years time. Couldn't imagine what Holden would do, without a direct competitor, giving them a run for their money.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #27
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
A long way from that mate.

Toyota have more money than they know what to do with.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #28
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
This all worrys me. Stop making me worried! Im buy a xr6t in the next few months. But im scared war is going to brake out in Iran and fuel prices are going to go sky high.
Life's too short to worry about stuff like that mate.

We love our cars, but the most important thing is family, friends and self. All the material things are great but they're not really that important are they ?

There's a lot of things that can happen in 10 years........who knows where we'lll be ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #29
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
There is a pretty strong expectation that Ford America will probably have to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection in the next 5 years, unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Orion is the rabbit, they can replace the butt ugly American sedans, with Falcons.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #30
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Ford Australia doesn't export any cars, Holden make 50,000 cars for the domestic market, 50,000 for the middle east and will be producing 30,000 for the US of A. Ford Australia doesn't have anywhere near those sales numbers. If the Orion doesn't sell then the next big Ford family car will come from America.

My 2c. Start producing models that are faster and more powerful and better built than the Holdens. While you may not sell huge volumes of these cars it will produce a desire to buy the lower models. Also they need to look after the fleet customers who they seem to have forgotten about and start exporting cars!
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post